It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's something wrong with redheads?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

There's something wrong with redheads?

www.reuters.com

LONDON (Reuters) - An ad for a TV dating show has been banned for suggesting that redheads are unattractive, Britain's advertising watchdog said on Wednesday.

Virgin Media's newspaper advert for the program "Dating in the Dark" included the text: "How do you spot a ginger in the dark?"

Virgin said the premise of the show was to challenge people's perception of attractiveness and to encourage decisions based on personality as well as looks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
americannonsense.com

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What the hell??!? Redheads are the most beautiful women on the planet! What kind of sick and and twisted discrimination game is Virgin trying to portray?

I personally am glad that they pulled this ad. What kind of crap do they think they are pulling, "Can you spot a ginger in the dark?"

This is offensive to redheads! How dare they demean these gorgeous beautiful women like this!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/19/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thank you Wukky, and I too find this sort of rubbish incredibly offensive and hypocritical. It's also much more widespread than we suspect. Would it be ok to behave like this towards people with natually Afro hair, or people with glossy black Oriental hair? No...it would be considered nothing short of racism. We could argue back and forth about the origins of the Celtic race and whether or not is exists...that's not the point. People other than African Americans have tightly curled hair too, but that wouldn't make a comment such as this any less racist with regard to them.

The assumption is made that people with red hair are somehow ashamed of it, or embarrassed by it, or they should be. Almost without exception, every redhead I've ever met has been very proud of their colouring. This whole attitude seems to stem from ancient beliefs that redhaired people and women in particular are witches and not to be trusted. Ok.....so I'm perhaps a classic confirmation of that belief
I'm a red haired witch and proud of it....but where along the line did it become something that was considered unattractive, or shameful to be around? The way the tv producers talk, it's as if it's something to be ashamed of if all you can get is a red head.....

If only they new the truth of what they're missing.......

[edit on 19-12-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

But I have seen your picture caitlinfae and you are beautiful. You are like the poster girl for redheads.

Not everyone believes that rubbish anyways. At least not the smart ones.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Tesco pulled some cards which they were selling mocking ginger kids aswell, it said ' santa loves all kids. even ginger ones'.

I mean, come on it's absolutely ridiculous, you would think we were past this rubbish by now!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I do think the advert is a bit much... Its kind of over the top.

However, most of my more ivory friends kind of embrace the stereotype of the ginger society. Same as they'd call me a guido I suppose. We don't overdo it, which is what makes it humorous I suppose.

Part of embracing who you are is being able to make fun of yourself.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I do understand where you're coming from...a little bit of banter is fine....name calling included if it's good natured...it can be fun, if everyone understands the rules. It's when it gets to the stage where it's almost institutional that it has to be challenged, and challenged seriously.

And Tribe....you're making me blush here....poster girl indeed....thank you....

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
At school i was bullied mercilessly by the girls and guys because of my red hair.. So much so i was ashamed of it and dyed it, however I eventually became comfortable with it..

A couple of years ago i went to a school reunion, and those very same guys who bullied me spent most of the night trying to get into my panties..

I took great pleasure in telling them where to go!!

Those morons ruined my childhood because of the colour of my hair!!

Now I see it as my best asset, and maybe i should thank the bullies too, because it made me form character that has stood me through military service, university and business... I have even done a little bit of modelling! However the truth is, is that people are cruel, and will find anything they can, and will pick on anything to make themselves look and feel better, and if the only thing that these people can pick on us redheads is our red hair, then we are close to perfect lol....

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

If that's your picture in your avatar, I am in lust, er, I mean love.

On this site, it's well documented my opinion on redheads. I just don't see why anyone would be mean to people with fiery hair. Maybe it's my personal bias talking but I just don't understand it.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What a bunch of nonsense.

Redheads are Gods gift to the human race.

Whoever came up with the saying "Blondes have more fun" obviously never dated a redhead.

Things are rarely boring.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Lol, you wouldnt say that if you could see me now!! Im not long back from a night out in Newcastle with the girls.. My hairs all over the place, my make up is off, im a bit tipsy, i have my fave flannel pink pj's on with my homer simpson slippers.. Yeah i look hot lol..
In fact, my girlies are here crashing at my place, one of them is a redhead called sue, she's a GP btw and said hi... x

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed

Lol, you wouldnt say that if you could see me now!! Im not long back from a night out in Newcastle with the girls.. My hairs all over the place, my make up is off, im a bit tipsy, i have my fave flannel pink pj's on with my homer simpson slippers.. Yeah i look hot lol..
In fact, my girlies are here crashing at my place, one of them is a redhead called sue, she's a GP btw and said hi... x

And cue the way that every guy likes to see a woman.. Haha, women make themselves up for their other lady friends. Crazy hair and Pj's is preferred for guys I think.

I've always been partial to italian girls, but I have to say, the one ginger girl I dated was one of my favorite people in the world. She was super smart and sassy, we just weren't for one another. Best break up I've ever had, amongst, ahem, other things.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Removed because of tipsy embarrasment lol xxx And i have to be good because im about to go to church lol x

[edit on 033131p://f52Sunday by Selahobed]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed

What so that is you in the avatar? honestly I thought it was the girl from girls aloud, not joking

You're lovely

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

one of them is a redhead called sue, she's a GP btw and said hi... x

Tell her Wukky said:

Wait, multiple redheads at your place? Perhaps I should be saying...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Thanks! i had to post my pic coz my ex was breaking into all my accounts checking up on me!! Yeah me!! I have never cheated on him but he has taken over some of my accounts and made me look like a dick!!!

Anyway...I have just been to church but im still pissed frm last night lol...

Im aiming for the new year to be a better person lol xxx

And Sue said hi back... Im going to get her to registar, cos she is a hot redhead, but needs a good man to back her up xxx Just like me lol..... Cept im a woman.. You do the math xxx

[edit on 083131p://f52Sunday by Selahobed]

[edit on 083131p://f54Sunday by Selahobed]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have to ask, is this a British thing? The discrimination against redheads/gingers? I have never heard of this before, but the examples I've seen of such behavior seem to be stemming from there... Just curious about that...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yeah, maybe is, there is a high population of ginger people here for obvious reasons, and it's been a thing for years for them to get stick over it, mostly in school yards and stuff, but some people don't grow up and still think it's funny when they are past adolescent years.

Interestingly I think I actually read on here not long ago that it came about in the witch trials, where red heads got targeted as witches and it carried on from there, but don't quote me on this one

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Gingers rock man.

We are a proud race

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Gingers rock man.

We are a proud race

Gingers also are uppity bug*ars at times

My daughter is a redhead and man, she runs rings round me !!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join