It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Hemp/Marijuana be legalized?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Do you know why it's illegal in the first place? The threat it posed to different companies including oil, paper/trees, and I also believe the medical industry. Rudolf Diesel, creator of... you guessed it the diesel engine, believed that plant based fuels outperformed petroleum. Hemp is the most efficient way to create this biofuel, plus it's not taking away from our flawed food industry, and actually has potential to take it's place there. www.manitobaharvest.com... This is a hemp food store, I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm very curious about it.

As you already know it makes excellent paper. Better than wood produces. And hey we could stop tearing down the forests. 1 acre of hemp produces the same amount of paper as 4 acres of trees, grows annually as opposed to 20 YEARS, doesn't need a fraction of the chemicals used to produce paper from trees. It grows in bad dirt and replenishes the topsoil.

www.youtube.com...

This sums it up^

Hemp is LITERALLY THE MOST USEFUL PLANT IN THE WORLD. I'm sorry I yelled at you
but this is very true. So why is it illegal? (here it comes again) BECAUSE WE COULD BE FREE if we just utilized just a few of the possibilities. It also makes durable plastics, insulation, and even cement.
www.youtube.com...

If you haven't figured it out yet. Hemp just has too many benefits, benefits that somebody doesn't think you deserve. Think about it like this, we're all all born with the same amount of power, for someone to gain power they have to take it from others. This might be a riddle for you right now as how this ties in with hemp, but that's it, that's one of the MANY ways they are taking power from us.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

these are both sweet

I AM 100% SURE THAT HEMP COULD SAVE THE PLANET.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Maybe not but the current system/attitude sure as hell isn't working so, all things considered, maybe legalisation or at least decrimminalisation is a better idea.

There is a recent thread that is related to what you're saying, hope I posted the link properly.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Please call it Cannabis, that is its english and proper taxonomic name. NORML member here BTW. I could go on for hours as to why the war on drugs is not only failing but is killing more people than it saves.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by someguy420

It may take more than legalizing hemp to save the planet...

But what this whole controversy has brought forward is the issue of what laws are really for and how they can be manipulated by the lawless to make lawlessness "legal."

Ideally, laws define the boundaries in a game. If you stay within the boundaries, you are free to act; if you don't your freedoms are curtailed. If sane people control lawmaking, then laws should result in a game where only actions that tend to destroy the game result in someone losing their freedom. The problem is that lawmaking has almost never been controlled by sane people. That results in laws that punish all sorts of random things that someone or other finds threatening.

All sorts of plants are grown legally that contain poisonous or drug-like substances. So it seems to me it must be true that someone has an irrational dislike for the hemp plant. With hemp in particular, it's a real issue. It can be argued that the drug that hemp contains can cause mental impairment. But that argument doesn't keep anyone from producing and selling alcoholic beverages.

I don't think hemp-related drugs should be regulated any more than alcohol is. And if the hemp plant is really as useful as stated above, then it is pretty obvious that someone is trying to protect some vested interest by making it illegal to grow the plant.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
if for no other reason than so people will stop making threads about it, then I say yes

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
hey thanks for being constructive
I shall refer to it as cannabis from now on, I like to call it hemp because hemp literally translates to "useful plant". I do also know of many other benefits as well, perhaps a shorter list would be things it doesn't do.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The only reason I don't think cannabis should be legalized is because I think it will become like tobacco; that is, injected with tons of cancer and disease causing chemicals so they can say "We told you so, we told you it did these things!" I think cannabis would become a lot more dangerous if it was outright legalized, but then again, I don't trust the government, so take my comments as you will. This would be a moot point if people were allowed to grow their own though.

However, I don't think people who smoke cannabis responsibly are criminals either. I'm more for decriminalization than outright legalization unless, as previously stated, people were allowed to grow their own.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
no weed should stay illegal.

its legality is used to leverage the criminal justice system as well as economies based an agriculture. if it was legal then americas economy would fail. as the process of capitol in america is based around it and a few other generations of plants being illegal.plus americans arent ready to accept not being the focus of capitol for just being good citizens.also if somone really wanted to have it they could get it; and making it legal with prescriptions just allows americans to become unethical to acquire something that takes a conscious effort(in good trust) to acquire.plus im going to hate a lot of people if it became legal and people quickly forget about persecutions the world over for it and other plants consumption, thinking "hey i can do it legally now; cause i can lie to a doctor and get a prescription : but when it was illegal you were a demon for doing what you knew was right in your own life".also i hear too many people talk about what can be created from weed and why it should be legal; like they have no respect for the plant itself, no personal relationship at all.plus the hard working good guys who make sure you have weed and coke to do are taking over aspects of their own governmental systems; and should be allowed to complete the transition away from people who thought it right to demonize any who commune with plants.so it should remain in its current state until the process of overcoming and still having and prospering through tribulation is complete.i personally want all the people who thought it ok to persecute people who do weed to die off first; like the 50's and greater generations.i don't want anyone who wasn't strong enough not to get it in its current state or not persecute anyone who had it in possession to reap the benefits weed would have on all forms of society.keep it illegal and allow the trickle down effect to continue so those who judged it and any other plant and person or culture to be dead and gone before the benefits of its integration within society is present.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I believe, you should be able to grow a maximum of 3 plants for personal use. This way you can control the strength/potency, you don't come into contact with drug dealers, you don't contrbute to the black market. growing plants takes patience and becomes a hobbie which is good for the individual. Surely there are no victims in this process, so why make it illegal.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos1220
The only reason I don't think cannabis should be legalized is because I think it will become like tobacco; that is, injected with tons of cancer and disease causing chemicals so they can say "We told you so, we told you it did these things!" I think cannabis would become a lot more dangerous if it was outright legalized, but then again, I don't trust the government, so take my comments as you will. This would be a moot point if people were allowed to grow their own though.

However, I don't think people who smoke cannabis responsibly are criminals either. I'm more for decriminalization than outright legalization unless, as previously stated, people were allowed to grow their own.

I've come to this conclusion as well, it would become legalized, and they would dump all their methlab chemicals all over it, as far as the drug you'd still probably have to acquire it via black market. I wouldn't really like to see Billions of dollars going to the feds every couple of days either. So I guess I do like the sound of decriminalization better.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
no weed should stay illegal.

its legality is used to leverage the criminal justice system as well as economies based an agriculture. if it was legal then americas economy would fail. as the process of capitol in america is based around it and a few other generations of plants being illegal.plus americans arent ready to accept not being the focus of capitol for just being good citizens.also if somone really wanted to have it they could get it; and making it legal with prescriptions just allows americans to become unethical to acquire something that takes a conscious effort(in good trust) to acquire.plus im going to hate a lot of people if it became legal and people quickly forget about persecutions the world over for it and other plants consumption, thinking "hey i can do it legally now; cause i can lie to a doctor and get a prescription : but when it was illegal you were a demon for doing what you knew was right in your own life".also i hear too many people talk about what can be created from weed and why it should be legal; like they have no respect for the plant itself, no personal relationship at all.plus the hard working good guys who make sure you have weed and coke to do are taking over aspects of their own governmental systems; and should be allowed to complete the transition away from people who thought it right to demonize any who commune with plants.so it should remain in its current state until the process of overcoming and still having and prospering through tribulation is complete.i personally want all the people who thought it ok to persecute people who do weed to die off first; like the 50's and greater generations.i don't want anyone who wasn't strong enough not to get it in its current state or not persecute anyone who had it in possession to reap the benefits weed would have on all forms of society.keep it illegal and allow the trickle down effect to continue so those who judged it and any other plant and person or culture to be dead and gone before the benefits of its integration within society is present.

I don't understand your thinking at all, that's what I'm talking about though, we have to first admit there is nothing morally wrong with any aspect of it(including drug use). Some people aren't able to do that because of years of manipulation. Everything that I talk about here at ATS requires a revolution of the mind, I feel that if you come to that point, you must then lead others to reach that point. And that goes for just about every topic you can think of. Teach people the truth. We've been lied to my friend. (about everything)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Here's another vid
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
why bother ...lots of folks are wasting their lives away and end up dead from alcohol allready , why legalize a harmless plant....ohh yeah I forgot...they make too much money of it being illegal.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I'd say yes to legalizing it if for no other reason than that is your right as a free human being to use it/smoke as you see fit. If smoking it is a moral issue that needs to be dealt with, I ask myself what is more immoral? Smoking it or taking away your freedom to smoke it? I'd say the latter.

I have never and will never smoke Cannabis/Hemp/Marijuana whether is legal or illegal. But I believe that you have a right to do as you see fit with it as long as it doesn't limit someone else's freedom. (I can't think of how it could limit someone's freedom but you get my point)

l_e_cox's game analogy was excellent.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by someguy420
Do you know why it's illegal in the first place? The threat it posed to different companies including oil, paper/trees, and I also believe the medical industry. Rudolf Diesel, creator of... you guessed it the diesel engine, believed that plant based fuels outperformed petroleum. Hemp is the most efficient way to create this biofuel, plus it's not taking away from our flawed food industry, and actually has potential to take it's place there. www.manitobaharvest.com... This is a hemp food store, I haven't tried anything yet, but I'm very curious about it.

As you already know it makes excellent paper. Better than wood produces. And hey we could stop tearing down the forests. 1 acre of hemp produces the same amount of paper as 4 acres of trees, grows annually as opposed to 20 YEARS, doesn't need a fraction of the chemicals used to produce paper from trees. It grows in bad dirt and replenishes the topsoil.

www.youtube.com...

This sums it up^

Hemp is LITERALLY THE MOST USEFUL PLANT IN THE WORLD. I'm sorry I yelled at you
but this is very true. So why is it illegal? (here it comes again) BECAUSE WE COULD BE FREE if we just utilized just a few of the possibilities. It also makes durable plastics, insulation, and even cement.
www.youtube.com...

If you haven't figured it out yet. Hemp just has too many benefits, benefits that somebody doesn't think you deserve. Think about it like this, we're all all born with the same amount of power, for someone to gain power they have to take it from others. This might be a riddle for you right now as how this ties in with hemp, but that's it, that's one of the MANY ways they are taking power from us.

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

these are both sweet

I AM 100% SURE THAT HEMP COULD SAVE THE PLANET.

Should it be legal? HELL NO! The people on this stuff are idiots. I don't care how cool they think they are. They are not getting the job done in the real mundane world. All the people I know on drugs are barely functioning at work and at home. They are lost in a haze of here-and-now pleasures. They are victims of propaganda. The U.S. will continue to lose ground in this struggle for Earth if we can't break this bad drug habit. The money is funding anti-establishment militants anyway. That is why you should say NO and teach others to say NO. Don't give your money to some thugs just for a little pleasure. Grow up. Wake up. Get out of your stupor.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Thats odd the people I know who use it and are above the age of 15 are in surprisingly good jobs, ones that require good degrees, high workloads and pay good wages.

Of course they arent in the BEST jobs, the ones in the best jobs are mostly doing much more expensive and dangerous drugs.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by someguy420

You have listed some of the reasons it has remained illegal, but in the beginning is was made illegal because of racism, Texas thought if they criminalized this weed that it would stop the Mexicans crossing the border.

I think it should be De criminalized. It should be taxed and it's full industrial, medical, pharmaceutical, and chemical uses be completely exploited.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

The only thing I have to say to this is that Carl Sagan Smoked the herb. Saying it makes you dumb is just propaganda. Didn't you see the post that says it increases the size of braincells in rats? Well it does. So I don't see how it makes people dumb. I've actually been led to believe that it makes you smarter.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This topic does not meet the guidelines for the ASC forum..

This forum is for the discussion of conspiracies and cover-ups related to the trade and trafficking of illicit drugs. Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.

This forum is not intended for discussion of legalization advocacy or speculation of enlightenment or spiritual possibilities related to drug use.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join