It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down with all religion!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher73

Well said

It DEVIEDS people by its very nature

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

It amazes and depresses me that people can and often call themselves logical and hint that they are progressive while practicing the ancient practice of scapegoating. Religion is NOT the problem people are.

People > Religion

not the other way round mate...

People made it..

were is your logic? or did you think religion made humans?

If the problem is people, then what on earth makes you think religion is the answer to a "problem?

you see how flawed it becomes once you understand it was indeed made by MAN.

hence why its a load of BS

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Attention Moderators!!!!!!
Why Is This Not In RANT?

I agree with you, this should be in rant.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

IT is in fact your narrow mindedness that doesn't tolerate religion and is unable to see all the good it has also done. Yoiur myopic understanding is only magnified by your ignorant outlook that equates religion with bigotry. Apparently, you are too ignorant to even understand that without religion there would be nobody to listen to your silly platitudes of "embrace humanity and its many variations". Ironically, religion has en-devoured towards the very same goals that you claim you espouse, bringing mankind together in peaceful co-existence.

yes but to many greedy feckers have cashed in on this ie the cotholic church,as dan brown stated in the lost symbol, the catholic church is a tollbooth for heaven, if god exists he sure as hell did not say go forth and build buildings that house gold and wot not (materialistic) ie churches, what people tend to forget is that a church is not a building it is 3 or more people gathered together worshiping a god. oh and by the way, if god supposidly gave us free will, the church took it back by sacrificing christ, i am a firm believer that christ truely existed, he was a man that changed the world forever albeit divided,he was not the son of god,yes prophecies were made that a man would be born that will bring salvation and possible peace. cant you see that the bibleof today is so watered down it is that weak it is jst a bunch of rants and raves that were muddled together to try and make their religion the best..... afterall while the mians were making their prophecies, they probably didnt have a efin clue about cathlocism and christ....odd, for surely the son of god would have been in their prophecies??? i dont care what peole say, something just doesnt add up, why cant you peole just open your eyes,we willed a being into existence (sub consciously) to help us in our quest forthe truth.note: the only true bible that exists untouched is well hidden so that it cannot be destroyed. for if the pepole were to know the real truth....then everything would come crashing down arround us.even now in our ever expanding knowledge and understanding, we are still not ready for the truth, however, a natural disaster IS going to happen and we have to find it in ourselves to believe, no.. not in god.. in ourselves. if god exists..????? he sure as hell doesnt want us to ask for help. we are in control of our futures, predictions can be made,prophecies can be made, but ultimately we control the future, the mians have forseen this disaster, yet they say that the only way tosave ourselves is to change our consciousnesses.. is this not then them saying that we can change the future?? afterall if you can appreciate how fine time is, then you must believe that we can change the future, one decision 10 yrs ago thaty ou made could map out a completely different future. ialways say to myself that if i colud go back in time to change something that i would, or would i??? no i bloody wouldnt cos if i did i wouldnt have my children...does this make sense to anyone at all?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 13579

People > Religion

not the other way round mate...

People made it..

were is your logic? or did you think religion made humans?

If the problem is people, then what on earth makes you think religion is the answer to a "problem?

you see how flawed it becomes once you understand it was indeed made by MAN.

hence why its a load of BS

excellent,couldnt have said it better myself. religion is there to confuse us not guide us, its goal ultimately was to bring order to chaos, so far it probably has helped 50% of people. that leaves the other 50% religion is like a stuck record player, if christ was immortal then wht did theyhide his body??? major cover up, something human beings are very good at,after all they have had 2000yrs of experience, why do you think the american government is so good at it..

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Heres the bottom line:
there is no god and there is no afterlife.
All of the people out there that live there lives completely based on the teachings of any religion need to wake up and drag themselves out from under the rock they have been living under and smell the fresh air. you only live once and when you die your just dead you wont even remember living in the first place so live your life the way you want to not the way some book or preist tells you becuase in the end it doesnt matter if your a sinner or monk we all will end up in the same place.(6 feet under rotting and decaing untill theres nothing left)

The Truth hurts.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
I think that religion, a manmade tool to control people, is the number one reason why people in this world do not get on together...

You only think so.

But I, for one, think you're just another angst-ridden human being going through a fit. Completely normal, I might add... Maybe even a bit ignorant. Again, normal.

I however agree with Watcher-In-The-Shadows in that religion is not (while it does contribute to some of) the problem(s), but the people are. The people taking it too literally and then there are the people misunderstanding it... Two sides of the same coin that contribute to the ultimate toll of mankind's decay. The whole argument involving religious and atheist extremists is in itself the biggest pile of BS you could find, in my opinion. No matter what anyone says or does, religion will always exist - in one form or another.

Fighting bigotry with bigotry gets you nowhere. Grow up.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUltimatum
Heres the bottom line:
there is no god and there is no afterlife.
All of the people out there that live there lives completely based on the teachings of any religion need to wake up and drag themselves out from under the rock they have been living under and smell the fresh air. you only live once and when you die your just dead you wont even remember living in the first place so live your life the way you want to not the way some book or preist tells you becuase in the end it doesnt matter if your a sinner or monk we all will end up in the same place.(6 feet under rotting and decaing untill theres nothing left)

The Truth hurts.

While I'm certainly not religious, and agree with you on some level, your post won't convince them. I myself have a hard time fathoming how any mature adult can believe in god, but after a long year of soul searching and figuring out what kind of person I want to be, Amongst other things, I summarized that people will believe whatever they want and there is no changing them, sadly religion will always have a role in our society. It's hard for me to draw the line, because I believe Religion will play a big role in the downfall of mankind, so what am I supposed to do? Either: A) Let Religion take it's current course of destruction to the human race, or B) Try and educate as many as I can. I wish it was as a simple as a multiple choice question but the truth is, for Atheists (or anybody who doesn't believe in a god), there is no correct answer. Sure it's all hunky dory if you wanna sit there and be politically correct and say everybody can believe what they want, but where do we (as a society) draw the line between complete idiocy and realizing what is REAL and what is FAKE. How ridiculous is it that Presidents of the past (and most likely the future) implement their Christian views into their every day decision making? I find that quite disturbing myself. And all this garbage about "The bible said *insert natural disaster or negative foreign affair here* would happen right before Jesus returned, the world will end soon." What a crock, anybody with that mentality is doing nothing but supporting the end of the world, of course in their minds it is all fine because they believe they will live in eternal bliss up in the clouds. But what about the rest of us?

I've always asked anybody who believes in heaven why they don't just end their life here on earth so they can skip all the "misery and sin" that occupies our planet and go straight up to the pearly gates, I've yet to ever receive an acceptable answer.

-P?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Perplexity]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hi, I am new here, and I decided to join because of this posting.

I just want to say that atheism is as much as a religion as christianity. Atheist place their faith in science and have made war on religious people since Darwin.

Christians, the religious majority in America extends respect and understanding to those that do not believe in God for the most part, I do not understand why atheist can not do the same for Christians.

It is rare for christians to run around shouting down with science. Why don't you people just leave us alone and we will leave you alone. This is our way of understanding the universe and its origins, you have your own way which is based in unprovable science.

Mutual respect is the only way for those that different beliefs to cohabitate.

If you don't like religion that is fine, I understand, but down try to destroy me or my beliefs. That is a form of bigotry, and it is similar to the ww2 bigotry that almost wiped out the Jewish people.

You state that all wars were fought over religion, well I disagree. I believe that most wars have been fought in the NAME of a religion, but the real reason was for economic or political gains.

THERE IS NO MORE PROOF FOR THE THEORY OF MACRO EVOLUTION THAN THERE IS OF GOD

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

Replace the usage of the word religion with 'the state'...

I think that the state, a manmade tool to control people, is the number one reason why people in this world do not get on together.

It is the number one reason for wars - always has been.

Therefore, it is the number one reason for starvation and suffering.

And it is the number one reason for killing innocents - and I include soldiers in this.

Surely we should get on together and help each other, as human beings?

And surely we should try to save our planet?

... and it makes more sense.

The state is a monopoly of the legal use of force, religion without state sponsorship, is no match. Look at the Chinese Cultural Revolution or the persecution of religious people in almost any totalitarian state, religious or otherwise.

You say I am referring to extremism? Yes I am.

What about extreme devotion to the state? That is a disease more prevelant then one would like to admit. Religious places only have weapons if they function as the state..

So many people have this blind devotion to the state, whether they agree with the parties in charge or not (take the USA for instance). The USA is full of people with extreme devotion to their 'side (lets call them right and left). With this devotion, they use the corrupt system (voting) to try to eek out their own agenda and all the while we are being abused and duped.

'The people' are like an abused spouse and the state is our abuser. We have formed some kind of Stockholm Syndrome in order to stay in the relationship and think that this abuse is somehow our fault.

Deny Ignorance. Religion, without the state, is just as harmless as little league baseball or ballet classes. It is not violent unless a psychopath takes over and mass hysteria breaks out or a state takes over and uses the religion to gain more control(I think I just said the same thing twice).

Cite any major example of religious persecution and genocide, a state will likely be close by.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by russ212

really good post
star

extremist atheist: SCIENCE IS REALITY BLAHHH IM BETTER THAN YOU!!!

extremist christian:YOU WILL DIE IN HELL IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD!!!

kinda ironic

oh and i am christian

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
dont be ignorant, whats on the US currency? who do you take a pledge of allegence to?

GOD

you must be joking right? America is a clear example of christian fundamentalists.

Iran is an example of Islamic fundamentalists

and guess what!

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lavey2

dont be ignorant, whats on the US currency?

Heads of state, patriotic icons, and Federal Reserve Note.

who do you take a pledge of allegence to?

The Flag of the United States of America

Iran is an example of Islamic fundamentalists

What if fundamentalists, Christian, Islamic, or otherwise did not use the state as a tool to oppress those that do not agree with them? They wouldn't seem so extreme. The common denominator is the state.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
without religion people would be less obeidient,

think about it, nearly all our laws somewhat relate to religion, I mean only 20 years ago in Australia homosexuality became legal.

Why?

Religious grounds.

Most of our rules and regulations started with the basis of religion as the ROOT of the basis for the laws.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lavey2

Yes, the country that we live in has religion in it. This is because most of the founding fathers believed in God. Is it wrong for them to create a government that is based in the moral laws that are in the Bible. NO!

However, the founding fathers did realize the dangers of having a government that is intertwined with religion, and that is why we have seperation of church and state

While the government does make decisions that are influenced by religion, it is not because it is ruled by the church like Iran. It is because belivers are in a place of power. They got their because they were voted in by the majortity which happens to be religious people.

Right now I say that Christians are being persecuted in this country. Our belifs can not be taught in school. Kids can not even carry a bible, wear a cross, or pray in school. Christianity has become like a plague. All while the THEORY of evolution is being taught like it is fact, and scientist are making leaps. The posting psycology proved god is fake. (I will not go into the ignorance of that posting now.)

Watching the Discovery channel shows how anti God our culture is. What are people actually afraid of. Are they afraid we may be right, or are people afraid that they will prayed for?
I have sympathy for your closed mind, but remember that religion, especially a peaceful religion like christianity poses you little to no threat.

If you can not take nothing from religion you will have a sad life, because it does teach basic morality that most people in the world would adhere to with or without religion.

I will post nothing else on this topic because I have said my peace, and there is no use trying to convert people who have made up their mind. But I love all of you and you will all be in my prayers

By the way, people do things in the name of God all of the time. Just because some people can not seperate their actions from the will of God does not mean that the majority of us have that problem.
[edit on 20-12-2009 by russ212]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Religion is like a gang. If it didn't exist, there'd be a less extremism. People use it as a label to congregate and discriminate. The principles are well intended, but not usually followed. If even half the people who claim to be religious completely tried to practice what they preached there'd be a lot more acceptance and embracing going on. Religion is a basis of control, a lot of people turn to religion because they don't know how to come to terms with life by themselves. Gotchya. There goes your independent mind set. Living by religion is equivalent to living under someone else's words, by choice.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

A big DITTO on that!

I finished a series of books by Tony Bushby a few months ago and he exposes religion for what it really is...Control. He may have had a couple of points I didn't agree with but I can tell you these books he's authored, footnoted and sourced are remarkable in that you can't put them down.

Amazon.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
A religion debate hey?

Well one thing is first, Religion was the top of the food chain and ruled everything at a period in time and it was called the dark ages for a reason. Religion has held back intellectual knowledge time and time again. They were against anything that went against the bible to begin with,, which well is a different story.

People adjust their idea's of "god" depending on themselves, that's why god doesn't like the same people they do. A lot of people in the current time really do not even understand religion and what it really means. Ask how many Christians have actually read the bible and very few have. As someone who used to be a Catholic and has read the bible I think it is one of the best books to prove there is no god.

The idea of a loving god that controls everything and allows the devil to exist, suffering and hell is not a god. the definition of god is that he is in power and is good, but when you read the bible and listen to how many "people" died in it from god you begin to realize that if this is god why does he sound so much like the devil.

When humanity wakes up and stops thinking about "heaven" and thinks about how we live this life that is when things will get better. We need to stop thinking we are god's soldiers and doing god's work and realize that we are all equal life will begin to get better.

God has held us back with knowledge, with happiness and with our lives in general that has done nothing but harm us.

People need to realize that we are in control and this is our life, not one given by god, as with all of the animals on the planet. Because to me one thing religion has done horrible is teaching us that we are not animals, when we are part of the animal kingdom. We have a ton of technology that can be done good to the earth but all we do is take. We will either wake up or screw ourselves in the end. it's OUR decision not god's.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by predator0187]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
I think that religion, a manmade tool to control people, is the number one reason why people in this world do not get on together.

Correct. Religion is a man made tool and this is exactly why it has its weaknesses.
It's not the number one reason people do not get on together though.
Watch all the people in your immediate environment, like in your neighborhood, that guy over there with that sstereo booming loudly in his car, that other guy over there who might have the bad habit of parking on your pavement, that other guy over there who might bring his dog to [snip] on your lawn. Might even as well note the guy with the expensive suit, the politician guy in big TV screen saying how he will make the world a much better pplace, and how you should vote for him. Generally people that drive you crazy with their actions. How much of that has to do because you have another religion from them?

It is the number one reason for wars - always has been.

No. Did he Persian empire attacked classical Greece because of religion?
Did the war in Iraq happen because of religion?

Therefore, it is the number one reason for starvation and suffering.

No. The number one reason is stupidity. Would you also want to count in your math some 100.000 of years that people were nearly neanderthals and were killing each other for food or either die starving because of the lack of it? You could as well include this period. Its part of the human history too. Let's see how many "non religious" deaths you can count with this one versus your argument.

And it is the number one reason for killing innocents - and I include soldiers in this.

Actually and seriously no. It's all a way overblown myth because once upon a time some idiots thought "hey lets do some the crusades to the Holly lands" which of course was all pretext, like everything in such situations is.

Surely we should get on together and help each other, as human beings?

And surely we should try to save our planet?

Let me see. religion according to you has failed in that sector, so you propose which method instead? You don't implying politicians and politics are you? Then you would be crazy beyond doubt.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by spacebot]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join