It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down with all religion!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I agree with you, I dont see why this should be taken into rant, it's something that should be addressed.

The fact that it is a tool and in my opinion created the first NWO causing the 'dark ages'.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Lavey2

religion...the dark ages....

The earliest form of written languages is...well speculatively Sumerian cuneiform. What do we have from the Sumerians? RELIGIOUS TEXTS...OH NO! RELIGION was actually a determining factor in something that we now take for granted....WRITING....

You see...writing was developed to sustain history....or RELIGION among other things...

Also, reading....

OH NO!! Religion...reading...writing...certainly they cannot go hand in hand can they?

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Don't forget the wondrous feats known as the Pyramids.

Their origins too lie within religion.

Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was an Augustinian monk.

I could compile a pretty big list given some time, especially Islamic contributions in medicine, optics, chemistry, and lots more.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Methinks that this topic should be included in the Most Extreme program.

As MikeBoydUS pointed out, it might be a though battle between religion based vs. atheism based governments (while the both are belief-based).

-v

[edit on 20-12-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Spike TV's "Deadliest Warrior" might be a good one too.

Nazis Vs. the Inquisition
Jesuits Vs. GRU

and other such sillyness

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
It amazes and depresses me that people can and often call themselves logical and hint that they are progressive while practicing the ancient practice of scapegoating. Religion is NOT the problem people are. Not to mention the hypocracy inherent in demanding your beliefs should be dominant while blasting others for doing the same. You're BOTH the problem not the concepts you enshrine.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

That is so true.

I haven't calculated exactly, but there may be some 10% of answers that regonizes this.

As I said in one of the previous pages, you are the decider, meaning that in the end, you choose what to believe, would that be an religion or ideology - and you are the one who interprets it, usually to your own ends.

Christianity is a perfect example. One of the ten commandments states: "THOU SHALT NOT KILL", so the religion itself can hardly be the culprit. It is teh believers themselves!

-v

[edit on 20-12-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Wow...

I was just about to say almost the exact same thing...

We have slowly been developing senses that allow us a glimpse beyond the very narrow world we live in for eons...

religion a sense of awe attempting to make sense of creation and what exists beyond our 3 dimensions...

It's a beautiful thing...

Man corrupts Religion not vice verse, evil wicked men who wish for nothing but power, men who have lost their minds...

Sin as such does not exist, but you make sin
Gospel Of Mary Magdalene

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lavey2

The fact that Rome fell apart caused the Dark Ages. Which had been falling apart (declining) due to internal (ineffectual government for various reasons) and external (barbarians as they called them) pressures for a long time. At least look at a history book on the period please.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

I think we could help ourselves, the human race, by dumping religion.

Why don't we? Religion is what causes war, pain and suffering.

I am not saying drop your belief.

I am saying drop what some controlling men put on us. Just drop it, and see where that leaves them.

aye, im hearing you. even hough religion has caused wars etc, which all boils down to who worships god the best, not who or what they worship, they way they go about it. religion whether we like it or not has served a very useful purpose, in some ways more than other s admititedly. total anarchy i do not wish upon the world, lokk how bad things are, and they are controlled, just imagine how bad they would be if it werent controlled???? however as science is growing so rapidly, religion is being left at the side. man constructed the bible mostly as a means to an end for world control. a weak attempt to maintain order and chaos keeping the blance even, but, and a BIG but... it needs to be revised. or discarded. like you say it has got to the point now where mass destruction may be involved because of differnet peoples beliefs. it all feels like that for the past 2000 yrs humans have been bickering in the school playground about this. we need to grow up and see what is staring at us straight in the face. if the devil exists, he is rolling around wetting himself with laughter, probably saying " i dont need to do anything, they are doing it themselves, o happy days, but that is another discussion altogether. laughing out loud. again religion has gone to far, ie terrorism, i never everr thought that the IRA would ever stop what they were doing, but they did! that has blown me away, if we could do it then, wht the bloomin heck cant we do it now? the answer is greed!!!!!!!! to much selfishness going round that peole cat see the trees for the woods. we are meant for greater things, and there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who all feel the same, the time is NOW, we must pull our fingers out, stop bickering and get on with it, but as usaul we are all just talking and not doing. merry xmas.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Very good post, exactly what I needed to understand your argument, thanks for that.

I certainly agree that the more dire a situation becomes, the more likely humans are to become violent and territorial, and will do anything to ensure their own survival, whether it is kill, steal, or anything that is seen as immoral in everyday life. We agree religion is a tool and that was my main point, whether or not it was created by the human instinct to control the masses is beyond me, but you've made very good points that have me nearly convinced your correct.

Spot on with your last bit of post there, our arguments are much closer than I realized.

We started this back and forth posting with the though of "Religion causes more harm than good, true or false?" Perhaps Religion is not that direct cause of said harm, but I believe humans can be brainwashed in to thinking anything and eventually doing anything. How much brainwashing has to be done before the person is deemed as nothing more than a slave to whatever/whoever is brainwashing them?

^ ^ These questions aren't relative to our previous topic(we could go back and forth for years on that topic) , but I'm interested in your reply to them. Feel free to ignore them if you wish. And thank you for your very detailed and enlightening posts.

-P?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Perplexity]

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Perplexity]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
A great deal of the religions have some reference to GODs making man in their image. The crimes committed by man are the same as GODs in many way. In essence I do believe that all religion is made by man but, it is just a reflection of what is already in our natures. It is a double edged sword to eliminate as there are some whom follow religion and do not kill based on religion but, there are others whom kill based on the whims of a GOD.

[edit on 20/12/09 by toochaos4u]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres. (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, 2000 p. 214)

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
I think that religion, a manmade tool to control people, is the number one reason why people in this world do not get on together.

It is the number one reason for wars - always has been.

Therefore, it is the number one reason for starvation and suffering.

And it is the number one reason for killing innocents - and I include soldiers in this.

Surely we should get on together and help each other, as human beings?

And surely we should try to save our planet?

As far as i know this is also what God/Jesus also wanted. All God/Jesus wanted was for us humans to get along. God even sent Jesus to teach us a few things about getting along as well. But we hanged him for it.

Yes its true its our way of practicing religion that is the reason for wars and terror. Its also the reason why we killed Jesus.

Our leaders dont want whats good for the people, but the things that are good for them.

If it wasn't for our greedy leaders we probably wouldn't have to fight wars based on politics. Its our leaders who man us up to war. Its not the people.

I have a question as well.
Is it not a free choice to join the military and take a human life based on orders from politicians?

Don't you then agree that you are a instrument voluntarily by free choice to fight wars and terrorise based on orders?

You orders to kill dont come from God or religion. But by politicians based on their motives alone. NB. Their motives are always confidential. That means they are hidden from you.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And another thing i'd like to quote, to make a point:

Matthew, chapters 5, 6, and 7

"Once he taught on a mountainside near the Sea of Galilee. He told people how they should live so that they would be happy and pleasing to God.
He told them to be peacemakers; they would be called the children of God.
He told them to love their enemies, and to do good to people who hated them. They were to pray for people who mistreated them.
He said they were to be like salt, like a city on a hill and like a light that would light the way for others. His followers were to be a good influence on others and try to get other people to do the right thing.
He wanted people to share with others out of love for them.
"Do not judge others", he told them. "And don't worry about things. God will take care of you."

How can a true follower of his teaching wage war against other humans or cause any harm? What is it in jesus statements that makes you think that his teachings are anything but moral in it's purest form?

Could it be that you've mistaken the church and it's followers with the true teaching of christ? They are in no way the same. The fact is, that todays churches, especially the catholic, represents exactly the opposite to what christ was trying to teach us.

In Mark 10:25, Jesus says:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God."

Isn't this in direct contradiction to the catholic church? Who is the richest organization on the planet? Exactly, THE CHURCH.

Son rant about the church and it's blind followers as much as you want, but when it comes to true christianity and the teachings of christ, then you're 100% wrong with your accusations.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by hackbart]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
False religion, social religion is clearly a scam. But the main reasons today have more to do with media and educational perversion instituted deliberately against humanity. That said, we are only in one of two state. We are getting exactly what we want or we are paying back for what we previously wanted. We are, however, influenced regarding the quality of what we want.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is not new, or as Lenin stated. "Down with religion! Long live atheism!"
Most of us older than 30 know how that ended........

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
reply to post by TaraLou

what you're referring to is extremism and it's the minority of religious views....

All religion requires faith.

To have faith is to feel that it is good to believe in something in spite of all evidence to the contrary, or lack of evidence. In other words, to have faith is to be proud of a state of self imposed ignorance.

We will always be ignorant of a few things in this world. Even science demands we make assumptions, but there is a clear difference between being ignorant as a result of our inability to know it all, and being ignorant because of a desire to make a virtue out of ignorance.

-rrr

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdCase512

The Spanish Conquistadors (to name but one group that utilized missionaries)would be happy to know that someone still believes that only their morals and taboos need apply.

It's time to leave the dark ages behind us and embrace humanity in its many variations.
Please check your thinly veiled bigotry, known as religion, at the door.

And Yet it was those very same Conquistadors that introduced Western Education, law, medicine and has resulted in making a nation like Brazil today. How many lives has Western Medicine and Western education, Western law and order saved in that part of the world ? Many more than the Conquistadors every killed!

IT is in fact your narrow mindedness that doesn't tolerate religion and is unable to see all the good it has also done. Yoiur myopic understanding is only magnified by your ignorant outlook that equates religion with bigotry. Apparently, you are too ignorant to even understand that without religion there would be nobody to listen to your silly platitudes of "embrace humanity and its many variations". Ironically, religion has en-devoured towards the very same goals that you claim you espouse, bringing mankind together in peaceful co-existence.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Your post would have been better if it read "Down with all Untruths". The fact is there is some profound wisdom in some religions....and some terrible, manipulative lies. We need to see the difference.

It's true that religion has caused alot of despair in the world...but it has also helped many people lead better lives and done alot of good too.

The only thing more annoying that a fundamentalist religious zealot is a fundamental athiest zealot. Grow up.

How about, live and let live, OK?

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Gamma MO]

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join