It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avatar – A Masterpiece With A Spiritually Profound Message!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Amazing film, its a must see, with very many hidden messages.
It did remind me of the way africa has been exploited for its natural resources
and the inhabitants of pandora also remind me of africans with the way they are so close to nature and thier beliefs

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I saw Avatar in 3D IMAX and all I can say was awesome. You will lose yourself for

2 1/2 hours and forget you are watching a movie. Were there messages and

lessons in the movie? Yes there were plenty good and bad depending on

your own beliefs what you got out of the movie.

Many will think the movie was made to brain wash people maybe maybe not

again it is all in your belief system. The greatest life form to me in the

movie was the Great Tree, The Tree Of Souls. On this Earth the tree to me

is wisdom and grows it's roots into the ground plus absorbs the Earth's

minerals, water, nutrients and pollutants. The tree gives it's shade, feels the

rain, snow, wind, storms, fire and sometimes the polluted air. The tree is

humanities Canary and will sing in the breeze and show it's disease and

bleed while crying when abused by man or nature. Our friend the tree turns

carbon dioxide into oxygen and isn't photosynthesis simply amazing. ^Y^

[edit on 23-12-2009 by amari]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I saw Avatar earlier tonight. I was absolutely blown away by the profoundness of this movie. I am so grateful that such a movie is being seen by the largely ignorant masses who just may be awakened, however slightly, by it. Throughout the movie I felt great sympathy for the spiritual Na'avi over the egotistical humans. Simply one of the best movies I've ever seen. Thank you James Cameron.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loveispeace

Sometimes, I am amazed at what passes for deep and profound thought nowadays. Sometimes, I’m amazed that we managed to survive this far as a species. Witness, Avatar and the reviews of it:

Originally posted by loveispeace
The greatest underlying message in the movie is that of a green planet …It portrays humans as a greedy and self destructing technologically advanced species, while the people from Pandora, are portrayed as a much more spiritual race, needing nothing, other that their connection to Mother Pandora and GOD… The 3D aspect will only help to submerge you in a new world just as real as ours and enchanting by its beauty and soul.

Don’t see any irony in you sitting in a theatre, watching a 3D film, that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, produced with the latest technology, that preaches about the evils of technology and the superiority of returning to nature?

Hey guess what? Spirituality and connection with Mother Earth didn’t make that movie available to you. The lights that lit the theatre and the vehicle you used for transportation to the theater and the food that you ate before or after the movie, and the clothes that you wore there, and the medicines that allowed you to be healthy enough to go there, and the heat that was provided to keep you from freezing, and everything else involved with your very existence and your ability to see that movie – had nothing to do with being ‘in touch’ with nature and spirituality!

It did have something to do with ‘evil humans’ raping the planet and extracting its resources and making the life we have possible. It had everything to do with people taking ores and minerals and fuel from the Earth and making ‘evil technology’ out of them. And yeah, maybe the planet didn’t give it up willingly, but we had to take it in order to reach the level we are at. According to the philosophy of James Cameron, all we would have had to do was talk to Mother Planet and everything we needed would be provided and Paradise would be ours. Could he or his movie ever have existed if we tried to follow the beliefs set forth in his film? Do you really believe that? Does he? Unbelievable.

You think Cameron has such a great message? Well, put it to the test! Go out into the deepest woods and leave all the evils of our civilization behind. Talk to mother Earth and ask her to shelter you and provide for your needs. Take James Cameron with you. After a year, if you’re still alive, drop us a line and let us know what you think about connecting with nature.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I just watched it...

Its about the coming antichrist.....no doubt in my mind....!!

Spirit

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

Someones a bit cynical eh?

Your being a bit unrealistic with your rant here, the message isn't to stop using technology and go worship trees like your making it out to be. The main thing I walked out of the theater with is how arrogant and greedy humans can be. Yes I believe there is a spiritual message in the film but it isn't as drastic as what you describe. Lighten up, have some coffee or something, sheesh.

The greatest underlying message in the movie is that of a green planet and achieving our spiritual potential. It portrays humans as a greedy and self destructing technologically advanced species, while the people from Pandora, are portrayed as a much more spiritual race, needing nothing, other that their connection to Mother Pandora and GOD.

Sorry my friend, but your wrong, this movie had absolutely nothing to do with god. You cannot connect your hair to god and talk to him, the deity of the Pandorian's was much more concrete than your god here on earth.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by Perplexity]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexity
Someones a bit cynical eh?

Yeah, I can’t deny that. Admitted and submitted in a signed confession. But I’m not here for psychoanalysis – as much as I may need it or as many times as the courts order it…

The main thing I walked out of the theater with is how arrogant and greedy humans can be… Your being a bit unrealistic with your rant here

Ok, that’s a fair analysis of the movie. But let’s not give credit to Cameron for discovering that little insight about human nature.

And while your perception may be fair and reasonable, that obviously is not what a lot of other people are getting out of it. Witness the posts already put forth here and take a perusal of other reviews on-line. That’s what’s getting me: people going into the theatre and beating their chests and then blubbering and bleating about the ‘wonderful’ and spiritual message about the evils of technology – while at the same time enjoying all the benefits it provides. I’m sorry, but that kind of thing drives me nuts!!

Lighten up, have some coffee or something, sheesh.

I think that’s part of the problem – not the solution. I have too much caffeine in my bloodstream and a miserable, mainstream life. More coffee can only make it worse.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
great film, saw it twice. The first time I was like dammmn.. this is going to make me cry. So many things echoed there that I feel personally, and I am glad these concepts were through out there into the mainstream.

The 3D really helps immerse you into that world and I'm finding the backlash of that is that its left me wanting more, I want to get off this planet and go there instead.

My room-mate was there and similar things, commenting on how everything glows neon-like. Damn.. if only.

I don't think the humans were so much portrayed as evil but rather just ignorant and egotistical, in an almost comical way. I don't think it was over-exaggerated either, some are just at a different place then others. I used to be very ignorant before I became spiritual in my own sense of definition. I guess in that sense I resonate with the protagonist Jake, as he has ignorance of his own but through his curiousity and love for the forest and the people, that begins to change.

I was really digging on how every thing in nature was connected, I feel this way, and no I don't need some crazy neural link from a braid in my hair to feel that way.

I think the movie sort of portrays the unfortunate reality of what ignorance has the potential to lead to, but also that it can be turned around, if you have the courage, humility and desire to change.

I don't think the movie was anti-technology but when I think of technology, I think of all the ways it can be usefully applied that doesn't interfere with nature. We humans produce so much garbage needlessly because we have computer parts that are built to last 6 months, we have random BS I wouldn't even know where to disgard, we use many pollutants un-necessarily, etc..

I think technologically we have gone the way or rising ABOVE nature, rather then peacefully working with what's there.

I am glad we have technology but not like this. I almost wish I lived like a native but I like how I can travel around the world for one, network with people, and see beautiful stories like this told. Technology needs to be used responsibly.

And backing the ignorance thing... you know I used to be so dead inside before I started persueing the whole spiritual / meditation thing.. some people just have a different view of beauty and VALUE. It comes through when the humans are pretty ok about destroying what some of us would see as the most beautiful thing, that tree for instance, or the people or nature itself.. Some people value material items over peace and love and all that.

So I think the movie had a lot of messages, but I don't think its as harsh as some of the feedback is giving it, not so much here but from what I've read elsewhere. I can't believe the bad reviews it got. I think its one of the most beautiful things I've seen.

Damn so many messages. I like how they called their planet's "Life force" - Eywa.. sounds like a play on "Yah-weh" or however you spell that..what some people here on earth call the "god force". I also like that it was depicted as neutral, that it doesn't take sides, just keeps the balance. People look at conflict as a reasoning for their being no "god force".. but I wouldn't want to live in a world without challenges...because I live for it, to evolve.

I also like the message of compassion for animals or rather, respecting anything that is sacrificed. Hey would you want some alien respecting you if they ate you for survival? This really strikes true to me, I gained a certain compassion for animals and thought I could never kill one, and then I realized many native american hunters no doubt had the same compassion, they just honored the animal, and did what they had to do to survive. Life is one big game of survival where all is fair game it seems. And to say.. well "just eat plants"... dude, I don't know.. after I read that "Secret Life of Plants" book, I don't see the difference.

Just respect everything. The more you excercise this, the more you realize you aren't just doing it for others, for nature or whatever, but that you're also doing it for yourself... call it a cleaner conscience, or just deepening sense of peace and belonging.

Great movie, highly recommend it, if only just to check out that 3Dness..really is like going to another planet for 3 hours, seeing what it would be like to be around aliens. !

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
for me the only thing this movie taught me was that if youre going to do a mining operation on another planet, you should send a fleet of satellites to orbit the planet and make it barren before you land.

but on all seriousness what ever happened to movies being movies? why does everything have to mean something? have peoples lives become so diluted that they must find meaning and spirituality in a movie?

maybe its just me but i always thought meaning and spirituality was a personal journey that you found within your self, not something you picked up in a movie.

but i guess to each his own.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I haven't watched the movie so i didn't read all your post, but it seems like your average dig at modern society while romanticizing earlier times in human history...obviously not directly since the spiritual and simple folks are alien. I don't have much respect for that view point and painting everything in black and white. We have alot of problems, and are having a hard time balancing what we need with what nature can provide in a sustainable manner. But so has every other peoples and civilizations, ours are just on a much larger scale. As for the stereoscopic 3d, i already have a screen and glasses for my computer so i know what it looks like. I imagine Avatar will look spectacular.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by passenger

Haha fair enough, your right on that, TOO much caffeine is bad for sure.

I get what your saying, some people are getting way too spiritually moved by the movie, it IS a good film and it's easy to get caught up in. That doesn't mean we should all go sell our homes, vehicles, and live naked in the forest of course. I think the viewers you have a problem with are just envious of Pandora and it's people, they are TIED to nature, biologically and spiritually, they don't have a choice. It certainly seems like a better way to live, but humans do not have the capability the natives of Pandora have (tying hair to animals, trees, etc etc.)

Cameron certainly isn't the only one who knows how greedy humans are ,but the movie portrays it like nothing I've ever seen, and it's spot on. If this were ever to happen in reality, you bet the human race would rape any other planet it needed for resources. While I will acknowledge the survival of the fittest rule, and have no problem with taking necessary action for survival, in the movie the humans weren't trying to take the mineral for survival, it was all about the Benjamins in this one.

Originally posted by T0XiK

but on all seriousness what ever happened to movies being movies? why does everything have to mean something? have peoples lives become so diluted that they must find meaning and spirituality in a movie?

Are you kidding me? Every director sets out to relay a message to the viewers, in every movie. (Excluding garbage like Meet The Spartans, etc.) Any serious director will tell you that, they pour their hearts and souls into a film and hope it succeeds. James Cameron wanted this film to cement him in directing history, he wanted it to be his masterpiece, and he succeeded on so many levels. I find it insulting you don't even know anybody claiming they were moved by the movie yet you call our lives diluted? Perhaps you have the emotion of a brick and do not possess the brain power to clearly decode a message being blatantly emphasized throughout a film, how about that? I see movies on a weekly to bi-weekly basis and this is the best I have ever seen, hands down.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Perplexity]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Are you kidding me? Every director sets out to relay a message to the viewers, in every movie. (Excluding garbage like Meet The Spartans, etc.) Any serious director will tell you that, they pour their hearts and souls into a film and hope it succeeds. James Cameron wanted this film to cement him in directing history, he wanted it to be his masterpiece, and he succeeded on so many levels. I find it insulting you don't even know anybody claiming they were moved by the movie yet you call our lives diluted? Perhaps you have the emotion of a brick and do not possess the brain power to clearly decode a message being blatantly emphasized throughout a film, how about that? I see movies on a weekly to bi-weekly basis and this is the best I have ever seen, hands down.

youre right i have the emotion of a brick, fictional things that are not real do not move me, i watch movies only as entertainment, and my views about the world are shaped by my self and not based on what others perceive, but while i may have the emotion of a brick you sir have the intelligence of a carrot because you cant even see how you are being emotionally manipulated.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by T0XiK

Intelligence of a carrot, what an absolutely genius remark, your obviously far superior to anybody in the world, congratulations.

Seriously, emotion is a normal human reaction, deny it all you want but you feel it just like the rest of us. Perhaps some tramp dumped you and you feel like your heart is a black hole of nothingness, either way emotion is apart of everybody.

As far as your claim about not letting real things move me, the message is real, the movie is real. The fictional characters might not be, but anybody with an IQ over 50 can clearly realize we are being moved by the message and plot, not the sight of the blue aliens. And who are you to say what is real? Unless you know everything about the universe (which you don't), then you cannot say what is real or unreal. Are you also trying to say that things like greed and massive human ego are not real? You clearly need to think your posts through before you hit the reply button sir.

Sidenote: It tickles me that a genius of your level does not possess the elementary skill of correct punctuation and capitalization.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth

Tell me about it!
I watched it in 3D today..utterly amazing, i felt like one with the Na'vi i even had a tear when the Hometree was destroyed and felt emotionally attached to their plight and strangely attracted to Neyriti, predictable story but the spiritual side of Eywa was amazing

Many people said exactly the same thing. Including me. Now we really have to check for subliminal technology incorporated in to the movie don't we?

Pandora made Earth look like crap

If i had to choose between the Humans on the dying world of Earth and the Na'vi on the beautiful unpolluted world of Pandora i'd choose the latter (of course witha permanent Avatar body)

Really? How much of the Earth have you seen?
First thing of the top of my head, Squids at some depth at night could make anything in Pandora look like crap. Especially the 1,5 meter+ ones. Check Nature channel if you don't believe me.
Also where are the older people? Oldest pictured person in the movie was the chief scientist Mrs Weaver, can't really tell about the Na'vi BUT WHY DIDN'T THE NA'VI HAD OLD PEOPLE?
What must we believe they supposedly do to them when they get old? Eat them?

Sublime?

How far would the "greedy human race" have gone without the need of technology especially in the area of transport if we could use our hairlike antennas like the na'vi do to supposedly "bond" with ideal sized airborne creatures (found at the same ecosystem at the same time period all by accident) for carrying humans for example?
Last time I checked we had something similar but it chased us around to eat us all the time and it would have succeeded if we both happened to live at the same time era for example.
Sci-fi is nice but can never function as a substitute for reality, even in the Realm of Ideas that pertain to reality..

[edit on 24-12-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. Avatar is a beautiful, moving and spiritually profound film. I especially liked its commentary on capitalism, technology and exploitation vs humanism, family and spirituality.

However, it is also showed the necessity for technology. In the end the Navi actually use some of the human guns in the war and this gives them more fire power. In reality, if we strip the film of the Hollywood fantasy, we know the Navi did not stand a chance against the vastly technologically superior humans. The Navi were basically like the Native Americans up against the technologically superior whites, and though their numbers were superior, they were vastly behind in technology. I think what this goes to show that spiritual development is not enough, you also need to develop technologically as well to be able to protect your civilisation.

In a way you can say the Navi were a primitive culture. They not only faced threats from the humans, but from wild animals in their forests. Again if you strip the movie off the Hollywood fantasy, in reality this would have meant that living in the Navi forests would have been very dangeorus and many Navi would have died. At some point they would have to have developed technology to mimize the risks and safeguard their own.

I think a trully advanced civilisation would have the best of both worlds. Just being spiritually advanced is not enough, and nor would I say that is real spiritual advancement, because it is actually very naive.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by passenger

Sometimes, I am amazed at what passes for deep and profound thought nowadays. Sometimes, I’m amazed that we managed to survive this far as a species. Witness, Avatar and the reviews of it:

The greatest underlying message in the movie is that of a green planet …It portrays humans as a greedy and self destructing technologically advanced species, while the people from Pandora, are portrayed as a much more spiritual race, needing nothing, other that their connection to Mother Pandora and GOD… The 3D aspect will only help to submerge you in a new world just as real as ours and enchanting by its beauty and soul.

Don’t see any irony in you sitting in a theatre, watching a 3D film, that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, produced with the latest technology, that preaches about the evils of technology and the superiority of returning to nature?

Hey guess what? Spirituality and connection with Mother Earth didn’t make that movie available to you. The lights that lit the theatre and the vehicle you used for transportation to the theater and the food that you ate before or after the movie, and the clothes that you wore there, and the medicines that allowed you to be healthy enough to go there, and the heat that was provided to keep you from freezing, and everything else involved with your very existence and your ability to see that movie – had nothing to do with being ‘in touch’ with nature and spirituality!

OMG! One that can see!
Quickly find him and seize him!

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

I think a trully advanced civilisation would have the best of both worlds. Just being spiritually advanced is not enough, and nor would I say that is real spiritual advancement, because it is actually very naive.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

I believe no morals exist in the universe except from a higher source. Everything else just uses the moral excuse because it suits their survival needs.
Unfortunately a highly advanced civilization CAN and WILL use the best from both worlds. Actually it could be able to manufacture it.
The irony in the movie that pictures a nearly perfect world is that many props took high levels of technology and scientific research to be materialized and stand as a good concept in this movie.
Take the big red dragon creature for instance. I used to research vehicles operating in a thinner atmospheric environment as a hobby. That bird is ideally designed for maximum capability in a thinner atmosphere. Notice the head which is practically a triple tail arrow nose, also the pair of top and bottom flaps (bonehead and jawbone) and the 2 sets of wings. Also most birds wings turn in a forward angle. That would have been a very capable design if it was an aircraft for a thinner atmosphere environment. Atmosphere in the planet is notably thinner since we see airlocks releasing air, humans holding their breath (merc chief did it in two diff scenes) and everyone wearing light masks.
Took a great deal of technology and technological research for this "natural" planetary environment to be produced.
Who are we kidding? technology is not a bad thing.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The message of the film made no attempt in making technology look bad. It's the intent of those that create and use technology that needs analysis. Our intent shapes what technology we create, and how we use it.

It's our intent that shapes our world.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

So, I just watched this movie last night without expecting anything other than some good CGI and I was perplexed at the amount of profound spiritual messages in it. It is an unbelievable movie that everyone should see. I decided to write an article on my blog, trying to shed some light on what I perceive as some of the symbology James Cameron decided to use in the movie.

I definitely recommend watching prior to readying this:

Avatar is a Masterpiece unlike any other… James Cameron has created his own world and submerges the viewer into a new reality that will captivate and mesmerize you for two and a half hours. The movie is not only a CGI monster, delivering some of the best photo realistic graphics ever seen; but, it is also rich with a story so spiritually profound, it can be used as a reference for metaphysical teachings from now on.

I would like to touch a little on how deep and meaningful this movie is without trying to spoil the movie:

The greatest underlying message in the movie is that of a green planet and achieving our spiritual potential. It portrays humans as a greedy and self destructing technologically advanced species, while the people from Pandora, are portrayed as a much more spiritual race, needing nothing, other that their connection to Mother Pandora and GOD.

It is hard to go into much detail without giving away much part of the plot so I would advice NOT TO CONTINUE UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE:

The people from Pandora understand the value in life, they know there’s a spirit, a soul, behind every living being and that we are part of a great wholeness. They only hunt and kill out of necessity, they understand the body is a transitional entity, while the spirit is forever. They are in complete connection with their Planet, Nature and GOD. Their advanced spiritual capabilities, allow them to feel and to communicate with every living entity on their planet. They are able to ride feel, think, and control animals by creating a connection through their tails. Once the connection is established, it is almost as if they become ONE with the animal, or the entity whom they’ve connected with.

Their connection to the tree of life is symbological to that of the Collective Consciousness. Through it, they can reach an enormous database of thoughts, actions, history, past, present and future. They pray for it, protect it and ask for guidance; for they understand the higher power behind it. In return nature heals them, cares for them and shelters them. It is a beautiful portrayal of loving and caring for the planet where they live.

I believe James Cameron has outdone himself and has set the bar way high for Hollywood and the film industry in general. This movie gains the highest possible recommendations we can give and we suggest you make your way to your local movie theater as soon as possible. The 3D aspect will only help to submerge you in a new world just as real as ours and enchanting by its beauty and soul.

foreshadowing!
foreshadowing!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Beautiful movie! My eyes were watery cause of the 3D glasses! I swear!

No words I type will do justice, the emotions I came away with.

Did anyone else want to stand up at one point with a fist held high and want to yell, "Bring our troops home!"? Okay, maybe just me.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Anyone else notice (I mean, how could you not notice) the God come to earth symbology, the infinitely advanced humans (God) sending one of their own (Son of God) to live as a Pandoran among the Pandorans?

I mean, the "avatar" idea is not an original one, it's been done several times in various science fiction and space fantasy stories, and it's all about reinventing the God come to earth legends (religions).

— Doc Velocity

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join