It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Effects of Fear and its Role in ATS and Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Here is something I just posted and I wanted to give this post a little more air than where I originally posted. I hope some can understand the concepts provided, although these threads are usually abandoned like the plague.

Oh well, here it is.

Previously undiscovered ancient city...

reply to post by Josephus23

You certainly have a much better perspective than many who float around.
I myself have taken enough various science courses in my studies to know when someone really isn't up for sentient dialogue, and is vainly trying to bludgeon the scientific method with opinions and hatred.

People fear what they don't understand. As Yoda put it; "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hatred leads to suffering". Most of the most hateful and insistent people on ATS are afraid of what is going to happen.

That is why they are here. To block out their fear by dismissing that which truly terrifies them. The unknown. It is easy to call someone a liar and a hoaxer, not so easy when you, yourself are being cornered by men in black suits and guns pointed at your head, or any other cosmic horror that people claim to have experienced.

Topics like ancient undersea civilizations then receive the same treatment. To accept something as simple as an abandoned city underwater requires a certain level of openness and courage that many just don't possess in this day and age.

This is not a conscious fear. This is a deep seated fear of a loss of normalcy and security. Maslow was very right on the concept of self actualization. Most people live in a constant state of survival. How will I pay my bills? What if my car doesn't start? What about Bird/swine/megadeath flu/disease? Will I have enough to retire? AHHHH!

As society is currently structured, a majority of people never made it past the third stage of the pyramid to come to a deeper understanding of themselves and the universe. You cannot expect these people to embrace the unknown when they spend their entire lives trying to avoid the unknown.

Also, this situation creates a desire to eliminate the fear and unknown from their lives. That is why so many people on ATS violently react to anyone who claims to have evidence of the unknown. It is about destroying and attacking their unconscious fears that manifest as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, EBE's and anything else science and this society can't defend them against.

If science can't prove it, then it creates fear in their minds. A fear that must be destroyed at all costs, including the poor OPs of which many are simply trying to share their perspectives and information.

Fear of the unknown is exactly what drives many posters to attack even something as simple as the possibility of a forgotten civilization older than originally thought. It shatters the comfort zone of these people and then they will just simply follow whatever their fear tells them to do.

Usually, get angry and spew as many reasons they can muster to crush this threat and restore their naturally enclosed perspectives to their safe, complacent, orderly selves.

If a topic interrupts that equilibrium, then it will send out a flurry of emotionally insecure assaults, out of an unconscious need to live in peace and security, because our society has consistently failed to provide the peace, prosperity, and safety that are required for a self actualized society.

If there is something there when we were told there is nothing, it creates panic and this is about fear and people's addiction to it, not an undersea civilization or Atlantis.

They are simply trying to avoid the unknown at all costs and they will never truly understand how deep this fear runs.

How's that for a psychological analysis? All One. Everything is connected, and the behaviors observed on ATS are a microcosm of the greater reality we find ourselves locked into.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
We're all born into a system that teaches more rejection than acception, the only acception accepted is blind acception of the system and the rejection of those who reject the system.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

I tried to study this problem when I was a teenager. I didn't really have the knowledge to do it then, and I don't know if I do now, 40 years later!

One thing about fear is - you can't easily predict what anyone in particular will be afraid of. My dad has a fear of heights, but I loved to climb large rocks and trees. His fear was simply irrational. But there are people who do climbing stunts that would probably frighten me - so everyone has their limits.

You can analyze opposition to an idea in terms of fear if you want. But it might not be the idea that the opponent is afraid of. Fear usually relates to a threat of loss. If someone is rationally fearful, they are probably afraid of losing something. If someone is irrationally fearful, they may rationalize the fear in terms of loss, but the argument is not likely to make much sense. You can't easily get around the problem that some people are irrational about certain things. There is no way you are going to convince them, using rational arguments alone (that doesn't mean you shouldn't try) to be rational about the subject. It is an unfortunate aspect of the human situation.

The best thing to do with most fear is to just reject it, laugh at it. Unless you are a real expert, you'll never be able to figure out what's really causing it. And someone can always choose to let go of an irrational fear.

I knew a guy once who was afraid of diving into water from a high diving board. I knew that it actually took some skill to dive head first from a high dive, but I knew jumping in feet first rarely caused a problem. So I showed him what it was like to dive in feet first, and he tried it and got so he enjoyed it.

Now, the fears that your average New World Order operative walks around with are a little more heavy than the above example. So I suggest just laughing at those guys. What else can you do?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

I am already taking steps to openly mock those who honestly think they are the bee's knees. ATS is filled to the gills with people on power trips who love to attack what they don't understand.

The current lack of pull on this thread is a direct correlation to the current state of society in general. Society has rotted out, and all we can do is grit our teeth and transcend our fears.

Then perhaps the answers will become more clear.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Fear is all based around death.

I believe after death is life, and the dream world.

Overcome the fear of death and life becomes comical.

Courage and faith are lacking. Let your nuts hang and have a good laugh.

Face death every night before sleep. Death is like a long well, earnt vacation.

Now imagine a army of people who have overcome the fear of death, and welcome death as a trophey. Damn, that will be a crazy army. I surpose, like jihadis.

But i beleive most jihadis are brainwashed and not fully aware of death. Thats why they blow up civilians and not the kingpins pushing the dollar.

As we write this, the world government formed today. Damn, I hope on some planets in this galaxy its mad peace, acid drugs , home grown veges and orgies.

I think i might try to create that in my back yard.

Laugh at the ass holes

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by REalBEL

I know exactly what you mean.

Maybe when world leaders stop their governmental institutions from selling toxic, mind destroying drugs to fuel their propagandist and subversive ideals, the world will be a better place.

It will happen.

new topics

top topics

join