It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism Jumps 57% in Just 4 Years!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"What is causing this? Anyone want to hazard a guess?"

Couple of guesses. People are having kids later, but what I believe the main culprit is a result of lifestyle. A lot of todays parents probably used heavy drugs and booze during their teens and twenties and partyed their asses off (if they stopped at all). And I´m not just talking about good ol´weed, I´m talking about coke, crack, ecstasy, PCP, crystal meth, smack, shrooms, '___', '___', as well as oxycontin and valium and..and...and. A lot of times mixed with a heavy portion of beer, wine, coolers, and copious amounts of booze in all it´s forms. Can it be any wonder that more of the kids being born don´t end up being little Einsteins?

It doesn´t surprise me in the least.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by houman

Originally posted by johnny2127
Well those stats are a bit misleading. They didn't diagnose as many people with the exact same symptoms with autism back then. Now they have ever increasing types and levels of autism, and hence more diagnoses. I am not saying its not increasing, but nowhere near the level this article is saying. Its not really comparable when autism was nowhere as understood or diagnosed back then.

It is hard to miss symptoms such as:

impaired GI functions
extreme food allergies
aparaxia
seizures

the stats are not misleading it is on the rise, what is missing is the disclosure of the vaccine safety database

Houman

You're missing what I am saying. I am not saying that instances of autism are not going up. What I am saying is they weren't diagnosing autism as often back then even with all of those symptoms. There used to be doctors that even argued autism didn't exist, which is obviously wrong.

Those symptoms you list are easy to recognize, but what I am saying is there was a time that many doctors didn't always attribute them with autism. As doctors learned more about the condition and its symptoms, diagnosing became more accurate and frequent. Much of the increase in those numbers in the article are from this. But yes, there is also a raising rate beyond that.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by johnny2127]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by houman

thanks for the link I will definitely check it out. No it's not genetic like some think. As for blaming the drugs alcohol aspect if that was the case there would have tons diagnosed in the 60's as not being right. Autism kids generally test higher than "normal" kids (I really hate using the word normal) Autistic kids excel in most places everywhere but social socially they need help.

[edit on 12/19/2009 by AutumnFyre]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190
"What is causing this? Anyone want to hazard a guess?"

Couple of guesses. People are having kids later, but what I believe the main culprit is a result of lifestyle. A lot of todays parents probably used heavy drugs and booze during their teens and twenties and partyed their asses off (if they stopped at all). And I´m not just talking about good ol´weed, I´m talking about coke, crack, ecstasy, PCP, crystal meth, smack, shrooms, '___', '___', as well as oxycontin and valium and..and...and. A lot of times mixed with a heavy portion of beer, wine, coolers, and copious amounts of booze in all it´s forms. Can it be any wonder that more of the kids being born don´t end up being little Einsteins?

It doesn´t surprise me in the least.

I venture a guess here... You know nothing about Autism eh?

Most autistic children have IQ's up above anything Einstein had or could ever dream of having. The problem is they cannot express what they are thinking (most times it's 5-6 times faster on the problem solving and environmental awareness that we "norms" have) and they are extremely influenced by external stimuli and sensations. So it's not that they are dumb or retarded, it's the finer social graces that are missing. Do some research, what's the site motto? Deny Ignorance?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
This is what happens when you blindly trust your authorities.

A company comes out with chemicals, puts them in your food, puts them in your drinks, your toothpaste, mouthwash, tap water (so you shower and bathe in it), shampoo, in the air, VACCINES, everything.

100 years down the road, suddenly we have much, much more illness that has been linked to these things.

You sheep will continue to feel through life blindly... I personally try my damnedest to avoid all of these pollutants. You owe it NOT only to yourself, but to your children and grandchildren who inherit your DNA, genes, and your (un)health practices.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Do I really need to dredge up the masses of information showing that the majority of children affected by autism do not have IQs higher than 100? I´ll pick out one of the easier links and then wait for your highly informed response.

www.patient.co.uk...

What is the IQ (intelligence) of children with autism?

Most children with autism have a low IQ. Around 7 in 10 have an IQ level below 70 which is low enough to be classed as 'learning difficulty'. (The average IQ of the normal population is 100.) Some children with autism have normal, or even high, intelligence.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fockewulf190
reply to post by vkey08

Do I really need to dredge up the masses of information showing that the majority of children affected by autism do not have IQs higher than 100? I´ll pick out one of the easier links and then wait for your highly informed response.

www.patient.co.uk...

What is the IQ (intelligence) of children with autism?

Most children with autism have a low IQ. Around 7 in 10 have an IQ level below 70 which is low enough to be classed as 'learning difficulty'. (The average IQ of the normal population is 100.) Some children with autism have normal, or even high, intelligence.

Gee such a reputable authority you source out there... I can tell you from dealing firsthand with autistic children... my own, that they test out around 181 and 190 respectively. I never did hard drugs in school, nor did I party hearty and never stop, and well hey guess what the other autistic children in my children's classes test out in the high 180's to low 190's as well. So I take the stuff that is put out by places such as mass-heath websites that cater to the LCD with a very strong grain of salt.

Again I state this, deny ignorance, don't' believe everything the media tells you. I also did not claim you were dumb, which you did do in stating "one of the easier links" please refrain from the sneaky name calling in a civilised, or what has been so far a civilised thread and discussion.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
i believe this is drastically attributed to how the disease is diagnosed now vs then.

There are all forms of autism

Autism is a severe developmental disorder that begins at birth or within the first two-and-a-half years of life. Most autistic children are perfectly normal in appearance, but spend their time engaged in puzzling and disturbing behaviors which are markedly different from those of typical children. Less severe cases may be diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or with Asperger's Syndrome (these children typically have normal speech, but they have many "autistic" social and behavioral problems).
source

in todays society, parents run their children to the ER every time they get a paper cut.

More diagnosis = higher rate.

thats just my opinion though...i can't really back it up with anything other than common sense.

Just like ADD...it has been used in a wide variety of cases to describe things that doctors are too lazy to look into

He's having trouble learning in school? Must be ADD.

Force some meds down his throat and send him on his way.

That is the world we live in.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
in todays society, parents run their children to the ER every time they get a paper cut.

Part of the reason for that is that if you don't, someone will call CPS/DCYF on you and not think twice, then you're the subject of an intense investigation..and they will indicate your case for the littlest thing.

It's a fine line we all have to tread, but that's a discussion for another thread in another forum at yet another time

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

I had a talk with a friend of mine the other day about ADD and ADHD and she felt like everytime you turn around doctors are claiming kids have these two illness like it's the "in" illness to have. It's sad really doctors in some areas need to really examine the kid before making a snap judgment and throwing pills at the parents. At least in my case with Autism they don't throw drugs at me. I don't know what I would do if I had to keep giving them medication to keep them going.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

it maybe a fine line, im not arguing that, im just saying that its the reason we've seen such a sharp increase in autism.

its being diagnosed more often...its not because the reptilian government from the planet sssszzzzzzurrrrppppppp in the 4th quadrant of the Slither galaxy is poising our air supply with robots smaller than the human cell that are causing us to fall ill.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'll have to debate you some day on that point, I think it may just be one of the Pseudo-Reptilian-Water Breathers from Planet 778-XZZZARD-8909 that are indeed making our civilization unaware of how to live without our fake puppett government stepping in and talking us through it, including but not limited to making a nice cup of coffee.

I do agree that with the rise in bringing kids to the hospital for every little thing has led to an increase in detecting things we may not have before..... (but that's what the little lizard in my TV told me to do.... really)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
I'll have to debate you some day on that point, I think it may just be one of the Pseudo-Reptilian-Water Breathers from Planet 778-XZZZARD-8909 that are indeed making our civilization unaware of how to live without our fake puppett government stepping in and talking us through it, including but not limited to making a nice cup of coffee.

I do agree that with the rise in bringing kids to the hospital for every little thing has led to an increase in detecting things we may not have before..... (but that's what the little lizard in my TV told me to do.... really)

lol
This amaze me too...

people are ready to believe that their leaders are reptilian shapeshifters but when it comes to the possibility that injecting ethylmercury (second most toxic substance known to man) into infants may harm them... that must be a wacko conspiracy theory!

Folks the evidence is published in peer reviewed scientific journals but people pushing the vaccination agenda ignore these publications!

Houman

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

[edit on 18-12-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

What people dont realize is the autism and schizophrenia are among the major costs of social security.
If we figure 1% autism and 1% SZ x 300 million population = 6 million ,at 3.5 million per person we get:

(6 000 000 x 3 500 000) / 1 000 000 000(billion) = 21, 000 BILLION dollars which is 2.1 trillion dollars. Maybe enough to bankrupt Social Security and Medicare.

autism.about.com...
What Does Autism Cost?
Thursday April 27, 2006
According to a new article from the Harvard School of Public Health, the total cost of caring for an autistic person over his or her lifetime can be as high as $3.5 million.

The article states that direct medical costs, such as physician and outpatient services, prescription medication, and behavioral therapies are estimated at more than $29,000 per person per year. Direct non-medical costs, such as special education, camps, and child care can cost more than $38,000 for those with lower levels of disability and more than $43,000 for those with higher levels.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by RRokkyy]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I wonder what the anti vaccine crowd will hang thier hat on now?

Thimerisol has been out and the rate goes up.

One factor that IMHO needs to be looked at:

Think about our use of the electromagnetic spectrum as our technology has advanced.

Cell phones, microwaves, radar, power lines, etc etc etc. We are basically bathed in EM radiation 24/7 unless you sleep in a Faraday cage or something

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

[edit on 18-12-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

What people dont realize is the autism and schizophrenia are among the major costs of social security.

autism.about.com...
What Does Autism Cost?
Thursday April 27, 2006
According to a new article from the Harvard School of Public Health, the total cost of caring for an autistic person over his or her lifetime can be as high as $3.5 million.

The article states that direct medical costs, such as physician and outpatient services, prescription medication, and behavioral therapies are estimated at more than $29,000 per person per year. Direct non-medical costs, such as special education, camps, and child care can cost more than $38,000 for those with lower levels of disability and more than $43,000 for those with higher levels.

oh for the school our kids attend we would spend 152 thousand per child just for school then from there are services they get so it's easy 1/2 a million, then you have the diet of a child mind you one child I have two so it's an easy million in schooling then their food diet, clothing, any necessities they need which is always changing. So you spend an easy 5 million til they are teenagers then that goes up. So 3.5 is a low number in my opinion anyway

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

iHe's having trouble learning in school? Must be ADD.

100% spot on. Its not the docs though only, its the schools too.

We have fought our own battles with our school system and they want that diagnosis / lable on our kid so that they can exclude his test scores from the district average. SO much for whats best for the kid.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. You should NEVER have your GP or peditrician diagnose your child with ADHD et al. AND certainly NOT prescribe meds for it. YOU need to see a specalist.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I wonder what the anti vaccine crowd will hang thier hat on now?

Thimerisol has been out and the rate goes up.

One factor that IMHO needs to be looked at:

Think about our use of the electromagnetic spectrum as our technology has advanced.

Cell phones, microwaves, radar, power lines, etc etc etc. We are basically bathed in EM radiation 24/7 unless you sleep in a Faraday cage or something

Thimerosal is still in vaccines
www.youtube.com...
in particular flu vaccines still contain thimerosal

and all of them contain aluminum hydroxyde
video.google.com...#

and yes em radiation is an other stress factor...

Houman

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by houman

Originally posted by Josephus23
I feel almost, kind of sure that this can't be due to thimerosal in the vaccines or fluoride in the water. I mean, I don't have any reasoning whatsoever for my belief other than the data from CDC reports that were said to be falsified.
Plus...
If that was true, then autism would mimic the signs of heavy metal poisoning....

Oh snap, it does mimic heavy metal poisoning.

signs of heavy metal toxicity

Looks like I am wrong.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Josephus23]

[edit on 19-12-2009 by Josephus23]

Watch this
video.google.com...
and
this
www.youtube.com...

Houman

I am hoping that you caught my extreme sarcasm regarding this issue.

I am a Psych. major and I basically battled the entire class regarding thimerosal and fluoride in the drinking water causing learning disorders.

The problem lies with an individual's genetic predisposition regarding their ability to process heavy metals.
Some can and some can't, but the body most assuredly has a point at which it will become saturated and even people that can normally process and release heavy metals through sweat and urine will be susceptible to heavy metal toxicity.

And if said individuals are still developing...

Well I think it's fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together.

The reason that I posted the link to heavy metal toxicity is because I wanted people to see exactly how similar the symptoms of heavy metal toxicity and autism spectrum disorder are.

Also....

The government conceded one case regarding vaccines causing autism.
Here is a link:

Government concedes vaccine/autism case

The government has already set up a special investigation committee regarding this issue and a special "vaccine court".

Methinks that they know that they dropped the ball on this one. It is only time until this and several other "extremely hot button issues" make it into the scope of the general public.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

iHe's having trouble learning in school? Must be ADD.

100% spot on. Its not the docs though only, its the schools too.

We have fought our own battles with our school system and they want that diagnosis / lable on our kid so that they can exclude his test scores from the district average. SO much for whats best for the kid.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. You should NEVER have your GP or peditrician diagnose your child with ADHD et al. AND certainly NOT prescribe meds for it. YOU need to see a specalist.

you can help your child with neurofeedback
www.youtube.com...

Houman

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join