It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious New Well Informed Members

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Okay... Now I welcome new members to constructively contribute to ATS but something is different... I am still pretty new here myself but I have noticed something occurring.

Call me paranoid...

But I am getting annoyed by these fresh accounts that simply register one day and explain away a certain topic the next and then for all intents and purposes cease to operate usually without ever introducing them self. They usually fit the bill of a "debunker" but I also notice some disinfo and even though they are new members they often use a text format that makes them sound like they have been here for a long time. Its hard to describe other than they sign their posts like you should have already heard of them sometimes, things like that. Ugg I am sure this probably makes me look somewhat suspicious.

Am I paranoid or does anyone else see this happening?

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

In these trying times I respectfully suggest that turning to each other, instead of turning against each other, would be the wiser of the two strategies.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
One of my first threads on ATS was about how I saw posting patterns in certain members.

"Paid Forum Jockeys" --- it ended up to be a dead thread. People wanted me to post up names, which i refused.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I hear ya we need to stick together but don't think for one minute the Gov. is not trolling this site and even active within it, you can pretty much tell when you need too.

I would put up more info but don't want to get banned

[edit on 18-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I agree but is it the most entertaining solution?
I have taken part in a multitude of internet discussion group back the the BB days and this is nothing new. People want to stir the pot, whack the beehive, or ask the ridiculous with anonymity while remaining active with their main account. It has and will continue to occur on this site and all others.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Let me start by saying that yes, I agree with your opinion but that is all it can be, an opinion. I too have noted the "pack" enter a debate then latch on to the first post that argues the case stated by the OP. The post a few, star each other, exit, then come back 20 minutes later.

If you and I notice it, you can be sure others more important to the site are noticing it as well. Advice....dont let it derail your thoughts or debate with the on-topic discussion. Dont be baited and dont respond.

Respects

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

I totally agree everyone should be ignoring them in the threads but i like my option of sticking it to them when i get the chance

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I noticed it several months ago and posted my finding accordingly.
but if America is no more .... then Americans are no more .... well, I'm an American and I have 4 members of my family pre-1900 have given their lives for this country. thank goodness, we have not lost a member since. but that is not to say we stopped serving just the opposite. every male member must serve the country - its like my families right of passage.
you know join a boys club - tour the military whore houses and waste a few bad guys... but the bad guys -- I think are us -- now... that is my opinion, we are doing things that do not support this nations founding principals.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmoviefan
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I agree but is it the most entertaining solution?

Probably not ...

What is rather entertaining though is when "Mysterious New Well Informed Members" becomes a conspiracy ... as opposed to what? "We're all good cause only idiots are joining!"

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I agree that the one-post wonders are neither limited to ATS nor are nothing new. They've been around since the advent of the Internet and Bulletin Board Systems.

However, I have also noticed that more and more Special Interest Universities are giving College Credit for posting in Online Forums.

I have also noticed more groups that are paying people full-time to post in Online Forums.

(On a side note: I work for an employer that manages accounts for several high-profile celebrities. We spend an awful lot of time promoting them online through feeder sites, online forums, and viral marketing. However, even those outside of the Online Marketing field are beginning to use the same tactics to promote their specific political/philosophical/religious/personal agendas rather than to promote a celebrity, movie, book, or product.)

However, I've never put much stock in the people that come and go. Those whose words really strike me are the ones coming from names I see everyday on ATS, in the same Forums I read daily. They become like trusted friends and family, whose opinions I value, even when I beg to differ or we agree to disagree.

So, whether Disinfo Agents/Agents Provocateurs are amongst us or not doesn't bother me. It has always been Caveat Emptor on the Wild Wild Web. Their presence doesn't change anything.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
New members are well informed? Chase them out!!!

I'd love to know how anyone can tell who's starring each other. Even staff can't do that.

We'd all be better off if we focused on the content of a post without putting too much consideration in what ulterior motives any particular member may have. Address the post content. It's either valid or not, regardless of the author.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Hold on Mod,
The OP's entitled to an opinion, you should not be telling the OP how to think about any post as long as the OP is taking the time to read posts. After that, it's up to the reader as to what to make of anything. I agree a suitable reply or alternate opinion is proper, however any poster is allowed to have their own thoughts and suspicions on things, rightly or wrongly. This OP has not put names forward, he is talking about having some misgivings, rightly or wrongly about posting style. He does mention the "Star" system, and quite frankly I think it pretty juvenile, especially when they are given out willy nilly, without anyone required to even post on a subject, WT.... if that is not open to partisan posting, then nothing is. I would say to the OP that he reads all posts by someone he is in doubt of, the facility is there. I personally have been involved in a more mundane forum where it turned out a poster had multiple id's, the catch is, although he was exposed under several id's, he ultimately is likely still around in that forum! The OP should be given some helpful guidance here for his own peace of mind, it is patently obvious by now that not all posters on a forum have that forums best interests at heart.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
(Random Forum Error, Post was published twice without me doing it, please delete post)

[edit on 18/12/2009 by the_denv]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
I hear ya we need to stick together but don't think for one minute the Gov. is not trolling this site and even active within it, you can pretty much tell when you need too.

I would put up more info but don't want to get banned

[edit on 18-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

I assume you have proof of the govt trolling this place...Iw ill keep thinking what I always think...that is this

Don't think for one minute the govt actually cares one bit about what a bunch of CTers think...I bet you most of these CT's are so far off the truth it is sick and the laugh if they even care to look here

This isn't an attack on the site. I love this place and discussing some of the big CT's is what I am here for. Yes I also love BTS and hang out their often but I really don't think this place is near as important as we as a collective seem to think

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
reply to post by yeahright

(To SuperMod: I had something typed out replying to your post, basically agreeing with you)...

First of all, I typed out like 4 A4 pages of text, my laptop clicked an empty space on ATS forum and it sent me to a new page and all my data I typed was lost
I am seriously annoyed lol, seriously! ATS Mods please fix this, its happened to me many times! Sorry but this post will not contain all the interesting text I typed previously as I have forgotten it all. Damn, I was really proud of that post (*wipes tear away from eye*)

This post unfortunately will be shorter

This thread caught my attention very quickly, the reason? It describes me to a TEE! (Apart from the bit were I only post one post and you never see me again).

I recently registered, although I have been reading ATS since it was established. I had a dailup back then and limited time on the internet as it was costing me per minute back then. Why did I not register before hand? I have a busy life and I do a lot of reading, watching lectures, listening to Coast2Coast's archive and present audio, I harvest information including roughly 14,000 YouTube videos I downloaded, and of course my "pre-broadband" collection of Readers Digest books, other random books, UFO video tape collections, X-Factor magazine subscription (not the modern music crap, a conspiracy related magazine) and that is just a small percentage of what I do; I was also flying planes, in several bands etc.

So I never had the chance to register and I knew it would be a full commitment because I was already apart of many forums and SDF UNIX BBS [still to this day]...so joining a very fast flowing information river of mass production such as ATS would have exploded my brain and took away the time I have to to other things.

On the "debunking" note, its only the past 6 months that I have adopted the mind of a debunker. Why you ask? Well, I believe in all things many of you believe in - aliens etc. Although, by looking at a lot of professionals and well known Ufologists, I learned that the best way to be heard is not to sound or look insane. If you try your best to debunk something and you cant, then there you have it...its a conspiracy and the alternative truth IS the truth.

Here are some quotes that Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr said:

“There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact”

“You see, but you do not observe”

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

All those quotes are very important, so please I ask the mods not to delete my post for excessive quotage as they are words that can change lives. Be professional, don't just jump at a UFO photo. Look at it, say "Oh that's fascinating", then analyze the photo, try and debunk it, try to see if you can fake a similar photo, see if you can spot the difference between your fake and the photo/evidence at hand. There are many things you can do. The more evidence and research you put into it and you find out its a fake, then guess what? Your research proved right and it was all worth it. When the time comes where you cant debunk it, then BINGO! You have yourself a flying object that can not be identified. (that is just an example).

Well, please mods fix that click problem I really did type out at least x4 times more and it all disappeared with no cache. Cheers

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Are you freeking kidding? What is being said here that the government would be so interested in and have the manpower, labor hours, and budget to monitor?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55

Are you freeking kidding? What is being said here that the government would be so interested in and have the manpower, labor hours, and budget to monitor?

More than likely the Government just has a computer software program like WireShark monitoring keywords, then those packets containing said keywords are forwarded to a department for human analysis.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

Originally posted by JJay55

More than likely the Government just has a computer software program like WireShark monitoring keywords, then those packets containing said keywords are forwarded to a department for human analysis.

Still, there's nothing on here that I've seen that would flag anything. Datamining goes way deeper than keywords.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Interesting theory. I don't think it's correct at all, but then again, I can't say for sure because I have not done the research, nor looked at the data.

If you do your homework, and come up with the data to prove your hypothesis, then I'd be willing to star/flag this thread. Until then.. I'm agnostic about your thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

Indeed, there is a LOT of information here that is highly valuable to us (as researchers). As you said, datamining goes way deeper than keywords. Deep to a point where they have a profile on people they think could be potential threats (media, or sniper nutcase threats etc).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join