It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xmas Alone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hey, everyone - I was just wondering - is anyone else out there spending Xmas and New Year on their own? It can be a really depressing time of year for many people, with all the pressure to have fun, and the emphasis on sharing with family and friends.

This contrast can just highlight the situation to those who are feeling lonely, who have lost someone, or who are unable to join in with all the presents and giving, etc due to financial pressures.

I just wondered how you were all dealing with this?

John

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Millions]

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Millions]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

You beat me to this thread Millions, I was just going to do the same subject when I spotted your thread

I've been thinking a lot recently about people on their own this xmas

My heart goes out to them, it really does.

I know of at least one person on this site that will be spending xmas day alone, and if they were'nt so far away I'd make damn sure it did'nt happen

My xmas won't be very good this year due to a divorce in progress, but at least I have my daughter and her B/F and a couple of mates spending the day with me.

No-one should be alone at Christmas

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I spent Christmas on my own once in Spain, and it was actually OK!

Well! maybe I was not completely "alone" because I spent the daytime at the beach with some people I know, and later went to the local PUB/BAR drinking beer with some crazy & funny Spanish people, but in the evening I walked home after having a nice dinner at a nice restaurant where I talked with other "alone" and nice people.

At home I had some newly bought good videogames and DVD's with new good movies together with wine and cheese to keep me occupied.

Internet and a cell-phone ringing also helped a lot, so I didn't feel completely alone.

I was also invited to a party by a lady friend the Christmas eve, but never went because I was too lazy - and too damn drunk!

When I think about it, it was actually quite nice and relaxing to be on my own, if you treat yourself with something nice.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I always thought new years was overrated. I went out when I was young. But now I am in bed by 10.

I am sorry you have to spend Christmas alone.

Thought the family get together usualy isn't Rockwells image.

Instead of staying home, why don't you volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen?

or find a little old widow to keep company.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If someone is experiencing feelings of beign alone on a time when they wish they werent alone...they have a opportunity to make someone else's holiday be more then what it is.

A suggestion for this is to bake up a variety of cheep goodies or make some cheep ornaments. Go to a nursing home, hospital, or somewhere that there is bound to be people not having the holiday as they would choose to have it....and take to them kindness, giving, love, and awareness....that someone out there is thinking of all of the people that need a smile this holiday.

Even just visiting people that dont get alot of visits from other people is a gift to those that wish to have others thinking of them.

Take your alone time that you have, and make sure you fill it with someone elses alone time with yourself.

If you are not the social type to go visiting strangers...make a plate of goodies and take it to the front desk of a nursing home, place a home made card that can be passed around to the people as they are offered a treat from the plate....keep it simple...tell them they are in someones thoughts this holiday.

Bring a light unto others.
LV

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Just read the Qur'an or Bhagavad Gita and remember not everyone celebrates Christmas or holidays in general anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Its funny you made this thread. I remember last x-mas I did spend it alone. And I felt very alone at the time. Lol I will spending my x-mas with my girlfriend,but feeling very much alone. It wont be a xmas he way it should, but at least I wont too alone. God bles

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yes some of us will be alone (will be just hubby and I and we are going to have to work that day )and without financial ability to buy gifts (we have 9 grandkids even) .

The way I see it is the Holidays are not what they used to be (about friends and family and giving what small things you can give) it is now just about who can buy the best stuff and who can get the best stuff (which the kids dont even play with the expensive stuff the other grandparents and parents buy them) they actually play more with the stuff my hubby and I pick up at the dollar store(insignificant small toys and crafts ) .....

I am almost ready to turn to the beliefs of the Jehovah witnesses (which they dont celebrate any holidays) ...........Even though I know Jesus was born into this world I dont believe it was on that day (not sure what day it was)
And I think the only good thing that comes out of holidays is family gets together when you dont usually see them all year long till that day .And also that some very poor kids get some very needed stuff from people who do help the poor at Christmas .(this is the best part of Christmas I believe)

Holidays are all overated if you ask me .

I do however love this time of year (the air is so fresh and clean) the snow is so pretty (if we get snow which we dont here in Texas lol) .
And I love having family over ,which I dont have many family members left and the ones I do have live all over and cant come here and we cant afford to go where they are either.

Try to just enjoy LIFE during the Holidays because thats the real GIFT .
And dont worry about material things (and for sure dont condone the materilistic world by supplying kids with material things that will suck them in to the materialistic mindset)
The above is actually the main reason why I dont buy the grandkids a bunch of stuff ...and I dont buy expensive stuff for them either for the same reason (they are spoiled beyond help now to the things of this world)
And they sure have everything they need so buying them something they need is out of the question too ..Once again I will be buying from the dollar store (things I know they can play with or make something with ) .

But this year it will have to be after Christmas because we need to work just to pay the bills .

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

You are a beautiful person Simplynoone, with a beautiful mindset

new topics

top topics

join