It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM shuts down Saab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

General Motors Co. said it will shut the money-losing Saab unit after talks collapsed on a sale to Spyker Cars NV, the second failure in less than a month to keep the 72-year-old Swedish brand alive.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I can't remember the last time I saw a Sabb on the road. Probably was the best decision.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by OpenYourHead]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenYourHead
I can't remember the last time I saw a Sabb on the road. Probably was the best decision.

There are quite a few and I owned one for a while. Great car! I think GM taking over the SAAB was the beginning of its demise.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenYourHead

[edit on 18-12-2009 by OpenYourHead]

Have you ever owned one?

Best car Ive ever owned. Ive had MGZR120, Vectra SRI, Calibra and a shogun. they are great cars, cheap bits as vauxhall make the parts.

Gareth

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Real shame they are shutting it down, expect it will go to a Russian or Chinese company for knocked down prices... was out shopping last week and saw some new promo MGs out one forcourt... not a marque I expected to ever see again.. I hope SAAB does not go the same way.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
To bad, were loosing a company that has a long pedigry of racing cars.

Think Saab stil has a Pike peek record for their monster that ran there som years ago.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Saab has some of the safest, and well designed cars on the road.

Very reliable, and they've always been well designed. They are designed after jets actually.

Saabs are everywhere.

Not sure why GM is shutting it down. That's like getting rid of cadillac.

Perhaps they will take a lot of what makes saab and try and integrate it into future vehicles for safety, and a big one would be the interior. GM vehicles are known for their cheap plastic looking interiors. It would be nice to have a cheap luxury looking car for once.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Not long after his divorce, Peter Gilbert treated himself to a new sports car - a Saab 900 SPG, which stands for Special Performance Group.

Seventeen years and more than 1 million miles later, Gilbert donated his car to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum.

www.jsonline.com...

Too bad anything GM touches turns to s**t

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What do yuppies do when their car gets stolen?

They Saab.

yeha, they make good cars, if you can afford them and afford to maintain them.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I might just think about getting one. I've been reading about the quality and they have been getting great reviews. Not to mention if they are not making them, the value may go up. Some reviewers are saying the parts can be pricey or hard to get.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The only reason Saab was loosing money, and their quality was dropping is simply that GM bought it. ANYTHING GM touches instantly fails. Same thing happened to Jaguar when Ford bought it.

I'm kinda surprised the Swedish government doesn't buy Saab .. I imagine it's a major employer over there.. GM should have saved us all the headache and shut down Chevrolet instead.. that'd be a few hundred thousand crap boxes on wheels off the road.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm sure the Saab deal keeps falling through because GM must be making some unusual demands. For instance, they only wanted to sell off the Opel brand to a company that wanted to sell it back to them at a later date. It may be the same for Saab, or they may be trying to pull a deal like Ford did with Tata Motors of India where they said you can buy Jaguar but we'll still make the engines for you. The Indians didn't care because they got the bragging rights for acquiring a british automotive icon. But in the long term, they'll see how Ford screwed them.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Too bad indeed. I never owned a saab, but have always wanted one! Ive read so many good stuff about saab on oil engineer forums, like bobistheoilguy.com yuode be suprised indeed. One of the best cars mechanics EVER owned was a saab! vertualy reliable and rarley ever broke down mechanicaly..what does that tell you!
People are used to beliving for whatever reason saab is swedish piece of s*&t, someone starte a rumor at one point in time, and this is what became of it, it hurt the sales of it..amazing what people will belive from a total stranger blowing things way out of proportion... plus, it was a very very reliable car..GM prob coundt find a way hoping it ould break down more, so yuode have to come back to dealer for repeat repairs, as we see with todays cars...i smell scandal here.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The 9-3 SE's are really cheap at the moment, The aeros are a bit more expensive and the old viggen are silly prices.

I have had mine over a year now and its been the best car I have owned. Its a 9-3 SE year 2000, It had 96 K on the clock, Full leather, climate control, 185 BHP what more could I ask for when I only paid £1000 for it.

The parts are cheap for them, new front disks and pads are around £50. So as you can see they arnt bad, also I have seen many saabs with 170 + miles on the clock.

My friends dad is a rich buisness man, he has owned allsorts, but he has a saab now.

2000 SAAB 9-3 SE

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
awesome gareth
i would so love a saab..nto new though ive always bought 2nd hand cars, did my own maintenance. I think they knew saab was such a good make and all, it want breaking down enuogh so the dealers could make money off factory aprts, which in return alos meant money for GM. They all seem to wanna keep the ones tha break down often. Chrysler neons are known for headgasket prolems, but have really strong enduring engines and transmissions. GM trasnmissions from what i read, break down within 70 to 80,000 miles, all over a $5 plastic part. Chryslers jsut dont have anyting spcail anymroe other than they seem to casue sludge buildup i thier engines, so if you dont do a good engine flush once a year, yuor taking a chance. Ford is kown for having way overpriced parts, and they totaly dropped the ball in the 90's with the taurus models. they almsot ALL hav trasnmission problems OR wire connected fire hazzarrds...that left toyotas, and now it too, looks like they let the way of american ingenuity....all the good oones are gone more oor less. were stuck having to choose from comapted oversized hot wheel toys essentialy*; (

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Its funny how products change for the worse in time. I remember when TFT screens came out and people were saying they was designed to break after 12 months warrenty was over, I dont know how true this is as Ive never owned on and dont intend to either as I dont watch much TV (the best brain washer tool ever). I also read on here about a car manufacturer who had the computer chips made from another company, they developed a new chip that would give the car more power, less emissions and used less fuel. I dont know where i read that only it was on ATS.

Back to the topic. I cant fault my saab at all. Also its nice pulling up to a Audi TT at the lights and watching there faces when you leave them standing. lol

Gareth

[edit on 18-12-2009 by gareth01422]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
ANYTHING GM touches instantly fails. Same thing happened to Jaguar when Ford bought it.

Ford bought Jaguar in the late 80s, I think. American car manufacturing at that time was still quite formidable (though not or never will be as good as Jap or German.) Anyhoo, I don't believe Ford ruined Jag. It's just that the Brits can't make proper vehicles for the life of them. Just Google Lucas jokes.

I'm kinda surprised the Swedish government doesn't buy Saab .. I imagine it's a major employer over there..

Sweden's government is quite conservative. I remember reading an article a year ago that they won't save Saab.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

the 80's trade wars with Japan vs our auto markets competing for share was the signal that American supremacy (at least in quality) had ended. From the 80's onward American cars were a joke.. if it were not for ignorant Americans believing buying an American car meant it kept Americans employed and thus a patriotic duty, GM, Ford and Chrysler would have gone bankrupt many years ago. To this day, I have had Ssooooooooo many problems with both the Ford and the Chevy's I have owned that I will NEVER buy another "American" made car again. Ever. It's not worth the gamble to buy a pos American car when at 60,000 miles everything is falling apart (and off). Ford is the only car I've ever heard of that while driving down the road my rear windows motor broke and the window fell down, the radio went out and the trunk latch fell apart. Classic Ford ** my life moment. I can spend LESS on a Toyota or a Honda and for minimal maintenance drive it 150k+ miles until the wheels fall off, long after i'd paid it off.

Jags were once great luxury cars. Ford took over and we had ugly models, typical cheap plastic interiors that disintegrated over the years and complicated mechanical issues.

(PS ...... Though.. I admit, i WOULD buy a Chevy 2010 Camaro ...
just for the sexayness)

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

The demise of one of Sweden's most beloved brands, Saab Automobile, and the thousands of jobs that will go with it just days before Christmas is hardly good news for an embattled government going into an election year.

But it is far from a disaster, with even the most left-leaning commentators wary of a bailout that would have left taxpayers footing the bill for a firm consistently unable to turn a profit.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join