It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petraeus: The UAE's Air Force could take out Iran's

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It's actually better than your verbal feces. Vietnam was no different than what is happening now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Those women are paramilitary forces. Iran has one of the largest paramilitaries in the world.

Estimates range anywhere from 400,000 to 20 million. The US government estimates 90,000 active duty Basij troops, with 300,000 in reserve, and 1 million able to deploy if need be.

They'd be like our National Guard, not exactly the best trained, but they still carry a gun. Basij troops did a lot of the dirty work when Iran cracked down on the student protests.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
Not only does Iran has Men Army Units it also have Female Army Units. I bet most of you guys were not aware of this.

Nice...
And this is on topic how exactly?
I remember stories during the Iraq/Iran war how the Iranians had retarded children running through the mine fields to clear them. Maybe you should post some of those pictures as well.

Source

During the Iran-Iraq War, the Ayatollah Khomeini imported 500,000 small plastic keys from Taiwan. The trinkets were meant to be inspirational. After Iraq invaded in September 1980, it had quickly become clear that Iran’s forces were no match for Saddam Hussein’s professional, well-armed military.

To compensate for their disadvantage, Khomeini sent Iranian children, some as young as twelve years old, to the front lines. There, they marched in formation across minefields toward the enemy, clearing a path with their bodies. Before every mission, one of the Taiwanese keys would be hung around each child’s neck. It was supposed to open the gates to paradise for them.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It is getting really bad in your country when the common person starts to dislike all things military and govermental.

Lets start WW3 already, the nuclear winter, and eradication of our species. Just get it over with. Yay impending doom.

The real reason the UAE has the better lot of F-16's is obvioulsy because this was planned a long time ago. I'd imagine they got a discount on them even...

[edit on 18-12-2009 by sticky]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's actually better than your verbal feces. Vietnam was no different than what is happening now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Now I know you're delusional....

Vietnam was a completely different scenario. That was the old Cold War era. This just proves that you have an Agenda and you just exposed it. I've not been very active over the past month or so here at ATS.

Let's stay on topic.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

We are not talking about ages ago, we are talking about the current time. Keep entertaining your dream that it's easy to defeat Iran, Iran is way more advanced in guerrilla warfare and when US attack it we will see how US becomes a third world country economically thanx to Israel.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Vietnam was a completely different scenario. That was the old Cold War era. This just proves that you have an Agenda and you just exposed it. I've not been very active over the past month or so here at ATS.

Let's stay on topic.

Thanks.

Vietnam was a not at all different scenario. US went inside thinking it will easily defeat Viets and lol@@ This just proves that you have an Agenda and you just exposed it.

Let's stay on topic.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by December_Rain]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

We are not talking about ages ago, we are talking about the current time. Keep entertaining your dream that it's easy to defeat Iran, Iran is way more advanced in guerrilla warfare and when US attack it we will see how US becomes a third world country economically thanx to Israel.

See there you go again...

You are ASSuming my stance. I just posted a story of what one person thought and you ASSumed to know what I feel or how I think.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That's not a very plausible scenario. It would still require some third party to, one, neutralize Iran's ballistic missile force, two, neutralize Iran's surface to air missile threat, three, provide airborne refueling and early warning and control, four, provide real time tactical and strategic ISR and analysis capability, and finally, to specifically target and systematically degrade Iran's command and control capacity.

So saying the U.A.E. can unilaterally take on the IRIAF because it has a more sophisticated tactical fighter force is a flawed statement because it requires 30 asterisks to qualify. Such a conflict would not be one dimensionally limited nor will it be quick and easy, especially for units and countries within 150-200 miles of Iran.

Petraeus's comment likely comes from feedback he got from a recent NATO led ATLC exercise held near Dubai U.A.E., involving the latest combat aircraft and simulated SAM/electronic warfare systems from around the world. The ATLC is essentially an expeditionary composite air and ground NATO force that's augmented by regional partners to create a local Red Flag type event to train ally air forces, to provide a means for assessing regional capability, and to foster a basis for conduction joint operations. For starters, Typhoons and Rafales were deployed, as well as regional partner aircraft and other numerous NATO support jets.

Interestingly, six F-22A Raptors were deployed to Al Dhafra air base, but they did not participate in the ATLC. No one has yet explained what they were doing there though. Needless to say, I'm sure Iran's radar and SAM network was probed a bit, and they probably have no idea it ever happened.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Petraeus is wrong

I think russia is taking america for a fool no offence, but i think russia has a plan.

I wouldnt be surprised if there would be a civil war between the usa army high commands going against obamas order to strike iran .

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Vietnam was a not at all different scenario. US went inside thinking it will easily defeat Viets and lol@@

No wonder you can't stay on topic. Is that what they are teaching these days about Vietnam?

I understand now.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I never understood American's inability to acknowledge their defeat in Vietnam.

Reminded me of a user on ATS who tried to tell me America won the Vietnam War.....don't know what books he'd been reading.

Strange....well they do say history repeats itself.

Afghanistan is not Vietnam. But to say there aren't similarities is, in my opinion rather foolish.

The UAE air force could defeat Iran's?

Maybe....i can't imagine them getting involved if Iran is attacked. I might be wrong.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The UAE is one of biggest arms buyers in the world, purchasing weapons far in excess of its needs. Its most publicised arms deals are with the US, the UK and France. Chinese and Russian deals are secret, and the story of defence deals with China is bound to unsettle the Pentagon, which counts the UAE as an ally.

www.telegraphindia.com...

The population of the UAE currently stands at six million. This comprises both Emiratis and expatriates, senior government officials told Gulf News. The figure is the result of two major studies carried out on visa registration and the number of people employed in the country. These figures reveal that the expatriate population is rapidly increasing. The largest group of expatriates hails from India, with 1.75 million currently residing in the UAE. The second largest group is from Pakistan

uaeinteract.com...

Makes you wonder why a population of 6 million are the number one buyers of arms. Are they merely acting as a middleman and delivering arms elsewhere?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

Afghanistan is not Vietnam. But to say there aren't similarities is, in my opinion rather foolish.

North Vietnam had the support of two other global powers the USSR and China. Vietnam had a triple canopy jungle where the Vietcong could hide and maneuver. We never invaded the North. That was never part of the war. We stayed in the South fighting a defensive campaign with one hand tied around our hanging and swinging pair.

In Vietnam we had only the support of 50% of the people. [The South] In Afghanistan the majority of the people don't want the Taliban back in power with their twisted view of Islam.

The only similarity I see is the Taliban having their safe haven in Pakistan like the North used Laos and Cambodia in which to stage their attacks from.

The UAE air force could defeat Iran's?

Maybe....i can't imagine them getting involved if Iran is attacked. I might be wrong.

The following countries had no problems with helping attack Iraq in 1991 when it suited them.

*Saudi Arabia

*Egypt

*Syria

*Senegal

*Morocco

*Kuwait

*Oman

*Pakistan

*United Arab Emirates

*Qatar

*Bangladesh

*Bahrain

Source
It was unheard of to see support for a western war on or even participation in such a war with the west on an Islamic country by other Muslim countries up to that point. If history has taught us anything it's that war makes strange bedfellows.

So making blanket statements about who will or will not support an attack on Iran is not only foolish it's downright dangerous.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Okay, some interesting views there.

Thanks for the history lesson, not that i needed it. That's not meant to be sarcastic either.

I still think Afghanistan is similar to Afghanistan.
I was planning on making a thread about it, a few months ago after i'd just read a book on the Vietnam War, but i never got round to it. It would probably degenerate into arguments about how wrong i am.

What does your last statement mean? Are you saying my opinion is is foolish and dangerous? Or was that not refering to what i wrote?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Interesting post. Will keep a watch on this one for sure. Done a wee bit of digging and found this -

United Arab Emirates air force pilots and maintainers are participating in the Red Flag exercise at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., for the first time Aug. 22 through Sept. 5.

The UAE airmen spent the previous two weeks at the Arizona Air National Guard's 162nd Fighter Wing at Tucson International Airport preparing for the advanced training exercise that exposes U.S. and partner nation air force units to challenging and realistic aerial combat scenarios

www.af.mil...

Sound like the UAE and US are a tight knit bunch.

F-16E/F - BLOCK 60

[img]
[/img]

So far, the Block 60 has only be sold to the United Arab Emirates. The total order stands for 80 aircraft compromising 55 single-seat E-models and 25 double-seat F-models. Deliveries will start in 2004 and run through 2007

Lots of info on the Block 60 F16 here -

www.f-16.net...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

What does your last statement mean? Are you saying my opinion is is foolish and dangerous? Or was that not refering to what i wrote?

Not at all...

In war never assume anything. I'm not advocating an attack on Iran, far from it. Making assumptions is foolish and dangerous when global powers are involved. Especially in the Gulf.

For example Saudi Arabia is not too fond of the Regime in Iran. Never underestimate the power of greed.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Ah ok fair enough.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

And i might ad that the UAE is not to happy about the "regime" in Teheran going nucleair.

There will be no need to invade Iran, first: kill of their airforce, this should not be that hard to do, second: bomb the nucleair facilities, the raid on the atomic plant in Syria showed that the latest in russian airdefence is no match for the latest in US stealth technology, third: kill of as many of their armored brigades as you can then keep an eye on the place and kill off anything offensive that still dares to move. Do not target the population and leave as much of the infrastructure intact as possible.

Fourth: my personal favorite (and one that certainly will not happen) start of a nice "wet-work" campaign, kill as much of the leadership as you can get your hands on, secure the borders (taking any oilfield you can get your hands on) of Iraq, cordon of the place and let the Iranians stew in their own juices for a couple of years untill they are ready for some serious negotiations.

Apologies for my mangling of the english grammer, i use it far to little these days.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Think about it for a moment...

The UAE has not been in a war in recent times.
It is a very rich country-hence buying/receiving 60 F-16
It is a very pro US country.
IF and I mean "IF" it were to happen (UAE taking out Iranian air force)
It may include taking out nuke sites???
UAE may be promised protection from US/NATO/EU???
The attack was not from Israel-Yes, this really matters (if their pilots/planes do it but from UAE, it is still a very different thing.
Not much Syria is in condition to do about it-save more openly arming Hezbolla/Hamas

Just saying...

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join