It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online posting of women's abortion information challenged in Oklahoma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

A judge could determine Friday whether to allow an Oklahoma law to go forward that will post information online about women who get abortions in the state -- an act critics say would be harassment and an invasion of privacy.

www.cnn.com...

All I have to say is: WTF?!? ... Why would that information need to be posted on the internet? For what plausible reason does the Public need to know who has gotten an abortion? .. So a 17 year old high school girl can show up to school one day and the entire class knows her darkest secret (and probably her single greatest regret) .. to middle aged women who got one because they couldn't afford another baby, or women who had been raped but didn't want the whole world to know..

IMO, it's not only unconstitutionally wrong to throw such intimate details of another citizen out there for everyone to read, it's morally and ethically wrong to an extreme.. the fact that this is even being considered is mind blowing..

"We're not trying to embarrass anybody, hurt anybody or make anybody's identities known. That's not the purpose of the legislation," the Republican lawmaker says.

"for the greater good" .. that's essentially what he's saying.. who cares if lives are ruined if we can data mine?

One section of the "Individual Abortion Form" says the woman must state her reason for seeking an abortion and answer this checklist. "Having a baby:
• Would dramatically change the life of the mother;
• Would interfere with the education of the mother;
• Would interfere with the job/employment/career of the mother."

I can just see it now, if this were to pass, how many women will be targeted by religious nut-jobs and be attacked, verbally and physically, murdered like they have done to doctors, or serial harassed to the point of suicide. The potential consequences really are that bad..

This is why people don't like Republicans.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well I guess if Oklahoma wants to play blame games and the embarrass me game, women can always go into another state to get their abortions.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Well,
It's obviously not a good idea to do this but there are opinions on both sides of the fence. It's politics for the most part.

I really wish we could get opinions from the nearly 50 million babies that have been aborted here in the US since the 1970s.

I wonder what they would think.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Unless something has changed the information to be posted was just supposed to be statistical.

Like: X number of procedures were performed in X county during the first quarter of 20XX.

Maybe if people knew you were pregnant and then suddenly you werent pregnant anymore in a really small town they could figure out that you had an abortion but being pregnant one day and not the next is a pretty solid giveaway in itself.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Just another way to degrade and suppress women. It's an absolute disgrace.

Start putting every sex offender, rapist and convicted criminals online, that would be far more useful to society.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!! Stop right there. Read the rest of the article or the bill itself and you will see that "The measure specifies women's identities will be protected. "Nothing in the Individual Abortion Form shall contain the name, address or information specifically identifying any patient."

All they are trying to do is find out why women are having abortions and attempt to make education available that could alter their position. This is a good thing for the anti abortion crowd, and does not violate the privacy of the women. I see this as a win win. It doesn't make abortion impossible, but they can tailor information to the demographics that are most likely to seek abortions.

Better education, maintaining privacy, and not violating Constitutional rights? I think my state is doing the right thing.

Oh, and as for the criminal and sex offenders online...we have that too. Oklahoma Offender Lookup

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Isis_Is_I
Just another way to degrade and suppress women. It's an absolute disgrace.

Start putting every sex offender, rapist and convicted criminals online, that would be far more useful to society.

Ummm they do that already, where have you been?

I dont think they should post a women who has an abortion online, just repeat offenders.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

right, its not about posting "mrs so and so got an abortion today" it's statistical.. however, the argument is this: At some point from source to source during the calculation of these statistics, especially owing to the vulnerable safety of Government data, information could be hacked/stolen and used maliciously. The government will have to compile the information somehow, and its during the compilation that identities could be revealed if someone was ambitious enough.

Aside from that, what the hells the point? Why go to the trouble of making a public profile for abortions? I fail to see their point.. so whats the game?

join