It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point Lookout, MD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
So I'm thinking sometime in the spring of going camping down at Point Lookout to do some fishing and ghost hunting. I've camped there numerous times over the years and have had a couple experiences. Was thinking maybe try to get a whole group together possibly and make a thing of it. Not sure on dates just yet, more of a feeler to see what I can get going.

Also, you can come just if you want to fish too lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken there was a very large POWcamp at point lookout during the civil war. Everyone has seen the pictures of Andersonville where the emaciated union soldiers were kept but few know the extent of the suffering that Confederate soldiers suffered in Union prisons. MORE Confederate POW's died in captivity in the north than Union soldiers did in the South. Here in Richmond we had the infamous Belle Isle POW camp. The suffering on both sides was horrendous and it's a national disgrace that their stories are mostly unknown to the American public.
I'm down in Virginia and I have a cousin that lives near there, I'm not big on fishing or ghost hunting but camping? Heck yeah!

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just go there in the Fallout 3 game ... that way you get to war with the baddies.

On a serious note ... I had not idea "Point Lookout" was a genuine place. I will wikipedia this ... exciting.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

I looked up point lookout and I guess I did remember my history correctly.
From the descendants of point lookout website:

This site is dedicated to the men, women, and children who were imprisoned / perished at Point Lookout Prison Camp for Confederates from 1863 to 1865 in the state of Maryland during the War for Southern Independence. Point Lookout was a genocidal, ethnic cleansing, concentration camp filled with federal atrocities that housed over 52,000 Southerners, with a death count of over 14,000.

Maybe that explains the ghosts.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh yes, camping there will be, great place, especially late Spring/Early Summer where it's warm with a nice breeze going across the peninsula. Also yes, it is most definately haunted, I've personally had more experiences camping there than at Gettysburg. Also it's just a fun place to go, especially for camping and fishing. Bit of a long drive though.

top topics

join