It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking To God (story a friend linked me to)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Far to well written to be true. And he somehow managed to remember every word of an epic conversation, just seems completely authored....

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Comical, but I'm not exactly buying it.

Thanks for bringing to attention, never hurts to have a laugh.

It's always been a theory of mine that we are the creation of a bigger much more advanced race, and our progress as a society has been monitored from day one, but who really knows?

But unless the author of this story had his blackberry out writing down every single thing that was said between himself and this god character, it is very hard to think this is anything more than an entertaining tale.
[edit on 20-12-2009 by Perplexity]

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Perplexity]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I don't think it was meant to be taken as a factual story. Seems to me the author is trying to point out the concept of a deity is not solely a "religious" concept. That all the religions of the world could be wrong but that doesn't mean a "god" doesn't exist.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The story was written, but dismissing the story core message because of this premise is quite idiotic. The author who wrote this has to be extremely aware of the true nature of existence, and quite a perceptive individual.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Reply to post by GrandKitaro777

I'd say less idotic and more well for lack of a better term human. It's part of how our minds work, that is to find any excuse no matter how flimsy to dismiss anything that jives with our preconceptions or schemata.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
JcOg323

So you gonna go argue with Webster dictionary as well.

Of course I will disagree with it from time to time, as every native speaker will. But you didn't produce any dictionary definition for fake. So, what I gonna go, or not gonna go, really doesn't matter.

Meanwhile, fake connotes intentional deception about something's genuineness. Fiction connotes the product of someone who overtly tells imagined stories. In common usage, then, they are contrasting terms.

This contrast will be especially prominent if someone wrote fiction in lower case, and FAKE in all caps, as you did in your post.

If it is your view that all fiction is fake, or should I say FAKE?, then you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, when you float your opinion on a public discussion board, then you will find that others disagree with you.

That this specific writing is imaginative and intentional is, I think, crucial to the interpretation of this work. The author, whose persona is atheist, has one way or another, managed to experience his interior.

There is simply nothing fake here, as most people use the word.

The only purpose of my post was to inform those who didn't know it that it wasn't real.

Cool. Both you and the author have experienced surprise at how your writing is read. There is nothing personal about it in either case. It is a wonder that people manage to communicate in words at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

reply to post by eight bits

Fake is a term used to describe or imply something which is false. A document or other object that is not real. "Fake" means false.

Taken right out of a dictionary. Hmmm a document that is not real hmmmm FICTION. Now wether the intent was to decieve or not it doesn't really matter. Its the same thing. Obvously the author didn't intend it to be taken as real, therfor creating something fake. It was a work of fiction. That still doesnt change the fact that its not real that it is fake. Fake means false. False means fake, and fiction is a branch of literature which deals in contrafactual events. (events that are not true or false.) And when it is presented on this site like it is real or factual (by not stating that it is a work of fiction) I do belive I refered to it in the right manner. You can call it fake when someone is saying its real. "Hey its not real its fake its only a work of fiction". What type of person needs to argue with that. So there's your definition of fake right there at the top. So whats next buddy. This is ludacris. As you said nothing personal. But whats the point other than to divert this thread into a argument over the definition of words.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by JcOg323]

[edit on 20-12-2009 by JcOg323]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandKitaro777

The story's core message is an interesting one, definitely worth the read. If your message was supposed to be to me, thanks for calling me idiotic. I was just dismissing the story as fact, not it's message.

The author did write this to be taken as an actual event by the way, that is made clear when he is talking to "God" and he asks him about publishing it on the web, etc.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This post must be making the rounds. A friend just emailed it to me today. It appears to be from 2006 so I'm surprised it's take this long to show up on ATS.

I have trouble believing that God would gloss over the origins of major religions with a somewhat dismissive paragraph. I think a lot of religious people would/will interpret that is blatantly “anti-Christian” or “anti-Muslim” and not get past that. It does fall in line with my own personal truths, so it’s appealing in that sense. I think it would mostly appeal to geeks/scientists/technophiles since it’s painting progress and technology as the new “religion”, if you will.
But that’s what the SF writers have been saying for years and I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be true.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

The story's core message is an interesting one, definitely worth the read. If your message was supposed to be to me, thanks for calling me idiotic. I was just dismissing the story as fact, not it's message.

No, It wasn't towards you.

It was to everyone who discovered the story was fictional, and conclude that it's message has no meaning because of this premise.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
My friend just sent me this interesting read, and i'm not sure if its been posted here or not but its defiantly someone pretty great to read. its an experience an atheist had explaining how he talked to god. sorry for just linking and not giving much more content other then the link, but i think everyone who is similar to me should read it.

i think everyone, period, should read it!
but, when you think about it, we are all similar to each other because we are HUMAN
no matter where we came from, i'm pretty convinced that we all came from the same place!

it's very entertaining regardless!...but it's true, too
i feel that it must be
but i'm not done reading, yet
i'll probably read the entire thing!

even not being "factual" in the traditional sense of the word does not automatically disqualify something as "true."

thanks

awesome to see someone writing this so candidly and well!
only GOD could be so perfectly non-judgmental and accepting of a soul being true to itself!

atheism isn't a problem for GOD!

if there is a GOD, then surely GOD knows it, too
if there is a GOD, then surely GOD is cooler than cool

also, even the most talented mystic in the world could never be as dead-on with their aim as described by the writer!
like someone having their hand in his trouser pocket!
EXACTLY
can you imagine?

maybe we should all imagine such things!

[edit on 12/22/2009 by queenannie38]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join