It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist deaths hit record in 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Journalist deaths hit record in 2009

www.reuters.com

The number of journalists killed around the world in 2009 rose to a record 68

The Philippines topped the list with 32 deaths -- 31 of which happened during a massacre in the South of the country in November. Somalia, which western security agencies say has become a safe haven for militants, including foreign extremists, came in second with nine media deaths.

Four journalists were killed in Pakistan, three in Russia, two in Sri Lanka and Mexico and one in Venezuela, Nepal, Madagascar, Nigeria, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, El Salvador, Colombia, Israel and the Palestinian Territory, Iran, Afghan
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I believe that this is part of a troubling theme that should receive more coverage by the media (no pun intended). Press, even semi-free is a vital component to a viable culture and what appears to be happening is a systemic destruction of the press in number of nations.

What is most interesting and troubling is that in most of these cases, the reporters were locals covering reasonably populist movements. What is remarkable is the absense of any real response from the governments involved (save Iraq which is the US).

What ever problems we have in the US and there are many, we should all be grateful that this kind of thing is not happening here, despite the fact that most/many of us have an extremely low opinion of the media

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Star and Flag!
One of the most important stories out there!

The demise of honest news,
...is bad news! IMO

Eventually the only news we will hear is what is allowed.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
what the hell philipenes? I never heard about that one!

31 in one month? thats outrageous!!

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
What ever problems we have in the US and there are many, we should all be grateful that this kind of thing is not happening here, despite the fact that most/many of us have an extremely low opinion of the media.

It is precisely the fact that the media are busily earning our "extremely low opinion" of them that "this kind of thing is not happening here".

Why murder journalists when they are so eager to sell out to you for less than the cost of an "accident"?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
celebrities are dropping like roaches too. there has to be a conspiracy i'm telling you. celebrities don't die, ever.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
the philipines masacre is statistically irrelevant

i mean no disrespect by that bold statement - but it is

the journalists brutally murdered in the philipines were all killed simply because they were accompaning a political election campaign - which rivals decided to eliminate

they were not targeted because they were journalists - they were ` collateral damage ` from an attack that sought to leave no witnesses

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
celebrities are dropping like roaches too. there has to be a conspiracy i'm telling you. celebrities don't die, ever.

There does seem to be some difference in age and manner of death between the deaths of celebrities and those of journalists.

How many celebrities have died this year of anything other than AIDS, cancer, overdose or old age?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

And how many became an accident?

How many became ill and died of it?

How many committed suicide?

How many suddenly retired or quit?

Questions, questions, questions.

I telephoned with a reporter yesterday about a possible story for their newspaper which they rejected and I remarked with sarcasm that the newspaper MAKES the news and he replied, "Yes indeed, we MAKE the news". I cheerfully thanked him multiple times for his enlightening answer and I noticed that he didn't get it straight away.
I could hear him thinking why I suddenly became so cheerful.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Why is the Dutch media reporting 133 casualties and Reuters only 69?
And maybe that's only 10 percent of the real number, who knows.
Nu.nl is one of the "most reliable" news site in the Netherlands, so who's teling the "truth"???

Dutch Report via Google Translate

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Take a hint from the Article, do not become a Journalist, risky and a very dangerous job. Would put me off even thinking, going for a carreer in it.

new topics

top topics

join