It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Hurting in Wallet -- and Spirit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
US Hurting in Wallet and Spirit

There seems to be little Hope and Change going around. Though we are being told the economy is improving, it seems that the general "feel" of the populace is not one of optimism. Is 2010 going to be worse? We have yet to find out, but all indicators seem to reflect lack of confidence in the Administration and lack of patience and loss of spirit amongst the people.

The lingering economic crisis hasn't just cost America trillions of dollars in lost wealth. It's also taking a heavy toll on the national psyche, leaving scars that may take years to heal.

This psychic damage has serious political implications, to be sure. It helps explain the souring attitudes toward President Barack Obama and the Democratic party now in charge, has produced a kind of national funk that spells trouble for incumbents of all stripes, and is a principal reason for the rising support for the kind of insurrection represented by the "tea party" movement.

After Americans began expressing more optimism midyear that the country was again headed in the right direction, that sense of optimism now appears to be fading. In the new poll, just 33% of those surveyed said America was headed in the right direction, down from 42% in June. A majority said the country was "off on the wrong track." Despite the slowing of job losses and a stock-market recovery, just 46% said they thought 2010 would be better for the country than this year has been.

Two in three said they weren't confident that life for their children's generation will be better than it has been for theirs. Almost the same share of Americans said the country is in a state of decline. [eroding confidence] A stunning 39% said they expected China would be the world's leading nation in 20 years -- compared with 37% who said the U.S. would be the leader.

Video

Democrat's Blues Grow Deeper

Less than a year after Inauguration Day, support for the Democratic Party continues to slump, amid a difficult economy and a wave of public discontent, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.

The findings underscored how dramatically the political landscape has changed during the Obama administration's first year. In January, despite the recession and financial crisis, voters expressed optimism about the future, the new president enjoyed soaring approval ratings, and congressional leaders promised to swiftly pass his ambitious agenda.

In December's survey, for the first time, less than half of Americans approved of the job President Barack Obama was doing, marking a steeper first-year fall for this president than his recent predecessors.

Also for the first time this year, the electorate was split when asked which party it wanted to see in charge after the 2010 elections. For months, a clear plurality favored Democratic control.

The survey suggests that public discontent with Mr. Obama and his party is being driven by an unusually grim view of the country's status and future prospects. A majority of Americans believe the U.S. is in decline. And a plurality now say the U.S. will be surpassed by China in 20 years as the top power.

Video

Interactive Graph
Job Approval
Direction
Economy
Foreign Policy
*Democrat
*Republican

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
How do you feel ATS?
Do you think you will be better next year, than you are now?
What do you think 2010 will bring for all of us?

[edit on 17-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It is hurting in both of those ways.
And yes the democrat's blues grow deeper, but so do the nation's.
I cannot help but feel that both the republican and the democratic parties are nothing more than the right and the left hand of the same complex, twisted, machine.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I agree, you are right about the both views as well as Independent's and those not associated with political parties. I think it's an across the board, national slump (perhaps international)... Outlook on prosperity seems to be quite dim. Many have said that the American Dream no longer exists... *sigh*...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I guess my family is feeling a pinch...somewhat due to the economy, but more of the problem lies on BS corporate policies (limiting hours and such).

Our young generation is in a tight spot at the moment...we/they need to busting ass consistently just to have a shot at living a good life later.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Our young generation is in a tight spot at the moment...we/they need to busting ass consistently just to have a shot at living a good life later.

Some believe that "shot" is already out of reach. Others believe that it is not. The statistics seem to say that the highest numbers of those currently unemployed are younger.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The American Dream has existed much longer than the United States has. Some would say it began in the 16th century when adventurer's and people attempting to escape religious persecution sailed the ocean blue to come to the "New World" to forge a better life. Others, particularly the indigenous people would argue that dream had inspired people long before the white races discovered the New World. Through time, that dream has evolved into various ideas and ideals.

For those warriors and braves of the indigenous people of "America", that dream seemed to die with the advent of the United States, but even so, there are tribes who live today and flourish as proud people who still have the confidence necessary to boldly go into a future filled with uncertainty. For those not indigenous to "America" who came to this land with the dream of building their own personal empire, it was the confidence in their own abilities that made that possible. Today, there are still immigrants who come to this land with the same dream and the same confidence in their own abilities.

When we loose confidence in our own abilities and instead of rebuilding that confidence turn to governments in expectation of making our dreams come true, it is only natural that the lack of confidence in our government will be nothing more than an extension of our own failed confidence. "Fortune favors the bold" has been an expression at least as old as the tales of Alexander the Great, and probably far older. Johan von Goethe suggested there was genius in boldness and encouraged us all to recognize the power of dreams and our ability to achieve them.

We will never achieve our dreams if we place the cause of our futures in someone's hands other than our own. A governments failure, is nothing more than a reflection of our own failures and when we as individuals begin to embrace our own confidence and act upon our dreams, that government will be only too happy to take credit for it. Governments always do. However, for those of us who succeed and accomplish our dreams, we know where that success came from and for those of us who have failed, as long as our confidence remains intact, we know that success is just around the corner.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Read the quote below, from:

spiritualeconomicsnow.net...

Now, our cash is in the public and ought not to be because the public doesn’t operate in cash; it operates via double-entry bookkeeping, t-charts’ of asset and liability, because there is no ‘money’. Since all these debt-notes are out there as “the debt”, in the “public”, this means that we are the cause of the “public debt” which must be offset. But, what we are told is that the public debt must be “paid” and, of course, this is an impossibility because if we ‘pay’ ‘public debt’ with ‘debt’, all that occurs is that we double the debt. The only way out of this mess is for us to do whatever it takes to remove the debt-notes, aka ‘cash’, aka ‘the debt’ from the public. For a long time, we thought that we had to offset the public debt, but the public debt has not been caused by anything other than our having put cash where it not only doesn’t belong and cannot be used in any productive manner but also is creating havoc with the economy. Now that we know that we must get the debt out of the public, so that there is no more ‘public debt’, how do we recall the trillions of dollars of debt?

We caused this problem and it is up to us to get out of it. File a UCC-1 Financial Statement with your State Department reclaiming your "strawman" debtor and cancel all debt. File a Common Law Lien on your home and it cancels the mortgage and property tax, legal and true. How many city council members do you think pay property taxes in your little city? The fix is so easy and many people have done it, I am in the process. I have done other things already but can not post those as I have been warned by the Mods already. WE can do this, 2010 will be a very bad year for everyone if we don't get on the ball and get going. TPTB have plans for us and they ain't good. So by reclaiming your sovereign self, you can save you and your family. Stop contributing to the public debt, discharge it.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I wanted to re-quote this...

When we loose confidence in our own abilities and instead of rebuilding that confidence turn to governments in expectation of making our dreams come true, it is only natural that the lack of confidence in our government will be nothing more than an extension of our own failed confidence. "Fortune favors the bold" has been an expression at least as old as the tales of Alexander the Great, and probably far older. Johan von Goethe suggested there was genius in boldness and encouraged us all to recognize the power of dreams and our ability to achieve them.

This rang true, for me. Very important message to think about and internalize. Well said.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Some believe that "shot" is already out of reach. Others believe that it is not. The statistics seem to say that the highest numbers of those currently unemployed are younger.

While I feel it is impossible to employ EVERYONE...there are jobs out there.

With decent people speaking skills and an approachable character, I am 100% in MANY areas of this country, some sort of retailer/fast food joint is hiring. Kids are so self-entitled nowadays that many will not take a job unless it is at Best Buy or at a golf course.

The shot is out of reach for many blinded individuals that think life will just give them the keys. I have seen multiple places in my area (food food places) putting "NOW HIRING" signs on their giant boards that hover the street.

When I tell my friends about it the responses I get are "I am never going to work at a fast food place".

One of the biggest causes of this recession is laziness and stupidity. No wonder they try to take advantage of half the people in this country...they allow it.

new topics

top topics

join