It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to perceive the universe(s)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
"We are just specks of sand blowing in the ethereal wind" - Quote PoS

Viewing the following pics & videos, will hopefully humble even the most vain and make you appreciate why it's important to cull the ideology of 1% of people owning 99% of the wealth leading to perpetual wars and echelons of ignorance, so we can collectively leave Mother Nature's womb and travel to the stars, from whenst we came...ENJOY

(p.s. I'm a vehement atheist / polytheist; God is just a manifestation of mankind's imagination and is used as a tool to suppress humanities imagination. Religion should also be wiped from the face of the Earth, so we can begin understanding the cosmos from a more empirical point of view. /rant)

1. Picture of the universe

2. Carl Sagan's pale blue dot...

3. Examine the vast distances between planets in the solar system

At the speed of today's fastest spacecraft (~20 km/second), it would take almost ten years to travel this distance. Even at the speed of light, the trip would last 5 1/2 hours. In this animation, the apparent speed of the viewer is over 300 times the speed of light.

4. The Known Universe (awesome video)...

5. Trying to conceive the distance to the Ultra Deep Field

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yeah i've always thought the same thing, we are practically nothing in this universe and yet we find the most stupid reasons to kill each other, that's why i think that we are not ready to venture beyond this planet, until we learn to get along and share this piece of rock we're not going to achieve anything colonizing other planets, if we fight over small regions of the planet just think when we have entire planets to claim.

That last video is specially great, i knew how big the known universe really is, but having it in animated like that really helps to convey how HUGE it really is. It really changes your view and i hope people see that video and realize how great our planet is, a freaking awesome tiny blue marble surrounded by darkness.

new topics

join