It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there Hell?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ok, i've been tossing this around in my head for a while, so here goes.

If you are a Christian, and you pray to Jesus for repention of thine sins, why is there Hell? because, when you think about it, a lot of really religious people commit horrible crimes. like the corrupt midieval papacy, and a lot of simony and child rape that goes on today.

And if Hell is for the sinful, why pray for repentance, because if you are sinful, you'll end up going to hell anyway!

the bible is constantly contradicting itself.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by LocoHombre]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I say :Hell is there to scare you into being good! You teach children to be good by setting boundries and giving consequences! If their are no consequences, then why be good!

Hell could also be a place to keep satan, and any who choose his path go with him?

really do any of us know, other than what the bible says? and you obviously dont really know what the bible says...at least not very well, or you are trying to be smart with your question. Almost like your questioning GOD and saying you are smarter than him...at least thats how the OP came across to me!

Good luck!

BTW is repention a word?

[edit on 17-12-2009 by AKARonco]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

Why is there Hell?

It's nothing more than a control mechanism...and from the looks of things, it seems to still be working.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The Greek word 'Ghenna' translated 'hell' in the New Testament was Jerusalem's garbage dump.

Worms ate the refuse and fires burned off the methane...
...it is a metaphor guys!!!...
...it was meant to convey the idea that unless the 'spirit' of a human is united to the 'Spirit' they will be 'put out with the garbage'...
...as so much road-kill.

The idea of an eternally burning hell did not originate in Hebrew thought...
...but was based on ideas of mans post-mortem state that originated with Homer and later developed by Plato...
...later introduced into Christian thinking as the church became progressively more Gentile...
...then popularized by Dante and exploited by prelates as a tool to increase church membership.
...dwarfed by other issues the Protestant Reformers simply inherited the idea.

See: Hell on (Google) Earth
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17/12/09 by troubleshooter]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hell is nothing more than a fear tactic. Its only purpose is to get people to tow their line, or face never ending torment.

Religion is a good place for those disgusting people to hide in. After all its supposed to be something holy. I'm pretty sure the majority of people who commit those crimes know their religion is a load of rubbish, its just easier for them to gain the trust of their victims, which are often vulnerable people who turn to religion for help.

When you think about it, its a shame hell is just a twisted fantasy.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AKARonco

No, i am not trying to sound smarter than your "God'. it was just a question.

and yes, repention is a word.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
If you are a Christian, and you pray to Jesus for repention of thine sins, why is there Hell?

The answer is here:

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority." - 2 Peter 2:4-10

In short, there are consequences for our actions. Perhaps the hope is that we will take action to change.

because, when you think about it, a lot of really religious people commit horrible crimes. like the corrupt midieval papacy, and a lot of simony and child rape that goes on today.

Do you believe God will reward these people? Do you judge God as unjust?

And if Hell is for the sinful, why pray for repention, because if you are sinful, you'll end up going to hell anyway!

The answer is here:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Remember also that believing is not just saying. It's having in our hearts the right motivation to be/do good in God's eyes. The one who says "I believe" and yet murders does not believe. His/her action shows a lie.

the bible is constantly contradicting itself.

It is difficult to understand, but I do not see these constant contradictions. Care to point some of them out?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Those who put the bible together had to have a way to control the masses, they need their 10% and what more effective way of doing it? Back then there was nothing more scary then dying in a fire or being cut down by a sword, now to burn in it for all eternity? Oh boy I better pay up

And the seven horsemen, instead of swords wouldn't they have something more effective, like UZI's or laser pistols? I can just see them now, riding in to town going pew, pew, pew.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

That is a very good explanation. Thanks

and isn't it great how a simple mistranslation starts something crazy?

The Inferno is actually a really good poem.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sorry, Double post! No Idea How that Happened!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKARonco
really do any of us know, other than what the bible says?

Yes, and the Bible itself says that a person can indeed know more than what it says.

and you obviously dont really know what the bible says...at least not very well, or you are trying to be smart with your question.

What's with the condescending remark? Even if one of these were true, do you think this statement is helpful?

Almost like your questioning GOD and saying you are smarter than him...at least thats how the OP came across to me!

Let's address what the poster says, not what the poster 'almost' says.

BTW is repention a word?

Does it matter? I understood what the original poster meant, are you having difficulty with the question? Does your love with the English language superceed your willingness to help someone with a valid concern?

It appears you're the only one laughing here.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlegmi

And the seven horsemen, instead of swords wouldn't they have something more effective, like UZI's or laser pistols? I can just see them now, riding in to town going pew, pew, pew.

that made me giggle

and yes, why doesn't religion modernize its demons at least? swords and tridents? there are people who do not even know what a trident is, other than a brand of gum.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hell in the Bible is not presented as a metaphor. There are a lot of correlating descriptions of what it is and why it exists. If a person believes the place to be too terrible to imagine, then I could understand why they would suggest Hell is a metaphor. Otherwise, substantiation of the claim is lacking.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

that made me giggle

and yes, why doesn't religion modernize its demons at least? swords and tridents? there are people who do not even know what a trident is, other than a brand of gum.

Oh this is one of those funny haha threads? I didn't know we could make a thread to try out our stand-up routine, but I guess it's been a while since I've read the terms and conditions. If the original poster is not interested in a serious discussion, there's elsewhere I need to be.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Evil Old people can't get to Arizona in the Winter when they Die...

Only real reason I can think of...

(wonders if Satan provides those Golf Carts and if the resulting Traffic Jams are the reason people think it sucks there so bad)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man, living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day of your life. And he has a list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you any, any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and ash and torture where he will send you to suffer and burn and scream and cry forever and ever untill the end of time!
...But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money!
-George Carlin

A good quote on this, I'm pretty sure it illustrates the idea of a hell and a god correctly.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Well no one actually gave anything did they, I mean after all the dude in they sky didn't die (allegedly) did he.

When I give you my last beer it's gone dude not coming back a real gift. But if my beer magikally reappears back in my hand well not much of a gift was it ?

I could of course share my beer with you but that's not really giving it to you is it now ?

Hell is merely an imaginary place conjured up in the minds of wicked people that use fear to control the weak minded or those who refuse to think critically and keep the money coming in.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
If there was no Hell and only Heaven, people wouldn't really care to be good.
Imagine this:

It's X-mas and Santa Claus comes to your home. You behaved all year and got good grades at school. Top student of your class! And all you get is a new pair of socks and some new underware.

Now, your little brother... boy, oh boy. He has horrible grades. Got kicked out of three shcools that year. He does anything he wants. he just dont care. What does he get from santa? A NEW SHINY BIKE!

That would really make you think about it. What's the point of behaving and getting good grades if all you got is a new pair of socks and new underpants? So you kick Santa in the balls and punch your brother in the face, flip the finger to everyone and run away with your new shiny bike!

And everyone lived happily ever after! =P

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

Why is there Hell?

Because my wife and her family needed a bigger place.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Hell in the Bible is not presented as a metaphor. There are a lot of correlating descriptions of what it is and why it exists. If a person believes the place to be too terrible to imagine, then I could understand why they would suggest Hell is a metaphor. Otherwise, substantiation of the claim is lacking.

You're right, it isn't. In the Bible Hell doesn't exist for human kind. Troubleshooter nailed one version of "hell":

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another translation was "Sheol".

Sheol, the term in Hebrew means a grave or pit, was the place where the dead gathered, as thought by the early Hebrews, and was believed located beneath the earth, perhaps at the roots of mountains. The dead were thought to lead a conscious shadowy existence there, they were not in torment, but had neither hope nor satisfaction. Some thought they remained cut off from God.

www.themystica.com...

A "pit" or a "garbage dump". "Grave" if you will, in those times. The "burning hell" that is talked about is a creation of the Catholic church and trickled down to other Christians religions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join