Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Cool Video of an Exploding Volcanic Eruption 4,000 ft Below Sea Level Captured for the First Time!

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hey ATS, this will probably go on the my pile of "stuff that only I find interesting!" LOL but hey, I'll share it with you anyway!

Oceanographers image the discovery of the deepest explosive eruption on the sea floor

Oceanographers using the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) Jason discovered and recorded the first video and still images of a deep-sea volcano actively erupting molten lava on the seafloor.

Jason, designed and operated by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution for the National Deep Submergence Facility, utilized a prototype, high-definition still and video camera to capture the powerful event nearly 4,000 feet below the surface of the Pacific Ocean, in an area bounded by Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

Just to get you interested, please go to Clip 2!

"Less than 24 hours after leaving port, we located the ongoing eruption and observed, for the first time, molten lava flowing across the deep-ocean seafloor, glowing bubbles three feet across, and explosions of volcanic rock," reported Joe Resing, a chemical oceanographer at the University of Washington and NOAA, and chief scientist on the NOAA- and National Science Foundation-funded expedition.

Clip 1 was just a taster, now check out Clip 2!

Now I find that awesome. We're always scouring the Universe for cool pics and stuff but there are some totally amazing things happening on Good 'ol Earth too!

Hope you enjoyed!

Just some info on the ROV Jason:

Jason is a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) system designed for scientific investigation of the deep ocean and seafloor. ROVs are unoccupied, highly maneuverable and operated by a person aboard a surface vessel. They are linked to the ship by a tether, a group of cables that carry electrical signals back and forth between the operator and the vehicle.

Built and operated by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Jason is equipped with sonar imaging as well as video, still, and electronic cameras and appropriate lighting gear. It carries precision navigation equipment and sensors for depth, vehicle attitude (tilt), and altitude from the seafloor. Jason's manipulator arms can collect samples that may be put in a small basket attached to the vehicle or, for heavier items, on an attached "elevator" platform that carries them to the surface.

Full Credit to the NSF, WHOI and NOAA for the cool videos!

All the best, Kiwifoot!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
god i love thermaldynamics

hwhaha ace

S+F

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
bwaa crappy double post

meh

[edit on 17-12-2009 by 13579]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13579
god i love thermaldynamics

hwhaha ace

S+F

Yippeee, there's someone else! Makes it all worth while!

Thanks, Kiwifoot!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Are you sure that wasn't CGI? Earth can't possibly come up with something that awesomely beautiful on its own.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Are you sure that wasn't CGI? Earth can't possibly come up with something that awesomely beautiful on its own.

The CGI one has multicoloured orbs being launched out the sides with little itsy witsy green men in them, not THAT different !

top topics

join