It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignoring someone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It took a long time before I finally used that button, but what a lifesaver it was. I used it only in the Ukraine thread which was so hot for awhile it took a long time just to catch up on all the posts every day. Some posters kept repeating themselves over and over. Their posts also tended to be argumentative and long-winded.

I finally put about 3 or 4 on ignore. It took me a lot less time to catch up by reading only what were worthwhile posts. It worked wonderfully. The only thing I had to still cope with was the occasional response to the ignored people by the people I otherwise liked.

But it was tolerable. I haven't used the ignore since, but it was very worth it in the circumstance I describe. It didn't matter that they could still read my posts because I never, ever made any statements directed to them anyway. I had already decided I could care less what they had to say. The thread was essentially much better because it was almost as if they weren't even there.

The thread was almost annoyance free.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I would like to see a different kind of ignore.

There are so many posts within threads that have been removed because of T&C Violations, Off Topic Posts, etc. I would like a way to ignore these so I can just see the meat of the thread as it were, instead of all of these distracting deleted thread statements.

I can personally ignore users with or posts that are arguing back and forth and not contributing to the topic at hand, I don’t need an ignore button for those users, but for deleted posts, I don’t see the need to see them, unless it was your post that was deleted for whatever reason.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I do not use the official ignore button. When I wish to ignore someone, I just don't respond until they have something pertinent to contribute.

This same thought has been posted several times and I think that many members use this tactic.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I agree with the OP, and this is something that has been bothering me for awhile now.
I DO have people on ignore..and with good reason.
I don't just hit the button on someone because they post something I don't agree with, or because I get into a heated debate and need to cool off.
I hit the button if someone is DELIBERATELY following me around the boards and posting after me, "stalker" style.
It gets tiresome, and though I cannot view their posts, EVERYONE ELSE CAN, but nobody else knows I have them on ignore.
I like the idea of a "BLOCK" feature..but I can see how it would be misused and if there were many people with blocked members..too many posts in threads would be missed or duplicated and then threads would not make sense.
Pick and choose your battles.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you 'ignore' just those people you disagree with, then what do you have left?

A rah-rah glee club?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Seriously, I just find this completely ironic. An ignore button where the motto is "Deny ignorance". I guess it is for those of us who just can't get by on that.

In my honest opinion, if you can't take the heat from all sides of an argument, even the childish and blatant disrespectful ones, then you don't deserve to be a part of it.

As a counter argument, I would like an Ignore Ignorers button, where I can ignore everyone who has chosen to ignore someone else. That way, I can only deal with people who are actually willing to have a conversation or debate a topic, rather than shovel THEIR side down somebodies throat.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
If you 'ignore' just those people you disagree with, then what do you have left?

A rah-rah glee club?

Who said to ignore those who disagree with you? That is a strawman arguement where none is needed.

There are times when a ignore is warranted. It is not just because someone disagrees with you.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Since you don't think it a useful tool, I will now "stalk" you around the boards. Let's see if you end up ignoring me.

<< 1   >>

join