It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthrax found in dead heroin user from Glasgow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Anthrax has been found in two heroin users from Glasgow - one of whom has died in hospital.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said the man died in the city's Victoria Infirmary on Wednesday. A woman being treated there has also tested positive.

A second man with "serious soft tissue infections" is being tested at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Police believe contaminated heroin or a contaminated cutting agent may be responsible for the infections.

Dr Syed Ahmed, consultant in public health medicine, said: "I urge all drug injecting heroin users to be extremely alert and to seek urgent medical advice if they experienced an infection.

"While this section of the community need to be on their guard the risk to the rest of the population - including close family members of the infected cases - is negligible.

"It is extremely rare for anthrax to be spread from person to person and there is no significant risk of airborne transmission from one person to another."

Hoofed animals

The health board said it would investigate cases of drug injecting heroin users who presents with serious soft tissue infections now or during the last four weeks.

Anthrax is an acute bacterial infection most commonly found in hoofed animals such as cattle, sheep and goats.

It normally infects humans when they inhale or ingest anthrax spores, but cannot be passed from person to person.

The last death from anthrax in Scotland was in 2006 when Christopher Norris died after inhaling the spores.

The 50-year-old craftsman, from Stobs, near Hawick, made drums with materials such as untreated animal hides.

Last November, drum-maker Fernando Gomez, who is thought to have inhaled anthrax spores while handling imported animal skins, died in hospital in London.

The 35-year-old Spanish folk musician had been in the intensive care unit for several days.

Five people died and 17 others were ill in a series of anthrax attacks in the US in 2001.

BBC NEWS - Anthrax Found
Anthrax Wiki

[edit on 17-12-2009 by TSOM87]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Good find TSMO87 hear is another report i saw....

A male, died at the Victoria Infirmary in Glasgow on Wednesday.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said blood tests had shown the presence of the deadly bacteria.

Health officials said another heroin user, a woman, being treated at the same hospital has also tested positive for anthrax.

And a third patient, a man who is being treated at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, is being tested for anthrax.

Strange one this where is the "dealer" getting anthrax from in the first place to mix with heroin,
I would imagine its way more expensive than other binding agents so not cost effective ??.....

It also mentions the infection is starting at the soft tissue were injected, Infected needles surely not....

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
hmmm ...
What event is about to happen in Glasgow that the government would want to clean up the streets for?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
that's extremely interesting on many levels, because it shows that these drugs can apparently be laced with bioweapons.....

now what was it again about the correlation between AIDS and IVDUs? look no further.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Correct Kailassa there's this
THE BIG STAGE, An event that must cost 10s thousands of pounds...

A whole host of free, fun family activities will take place in George Square throughout the festive period. From festive film nights and live music to community theatre and carol singing, there's something for everyone to enjoy......

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Everybody knows junkies share and speard needles. Well the ones these two used have no doubt been used again, thats relly bad news! Scotland has alot of junkies.

Tsom87

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

It's a mystery that has got British law enforcement officials and others across the planet scratching their heads. Put bluntly, enough heroin to supply the world's demand for years has simply disappeared. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) describes the situation as "a time bomb for public health and global security". [...] For the past three years, production has been running at almost twice the level of global demand.The numbers just don't add up.

The story of the stockpiled surplus heroin (from Oct 2008). Looks like it takes a while to roll out heroin spiked with anthrax.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've been saying this was going to happen for years.

Started a thread a year or so ago about this subject and it got smashed real fast.....by members...not mods.
My spelling/puncuation, was evan worse then, than now.

The way I see it, this is the only way to get any poisen to a person directly, without the FDA or any regualations being invloved.
No stores, taxes, gov't etc....etc....

It would work with anything, that is inhaled or injected, "not going to list-em"

The only thing needed is access across a boarder!

I am not stating it is a terrorist, it could be anyone or gov't or hate group.

I also thought that anthrax was kinda tough to get?
If so, it has to be something out of the ordinary.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Correct DOC, what better way to cause "hate" mongering.
The usual knee jerk reaction will be "they are only junkies they deserve what they get" blah blah blah.
Heroin is not easy to wean off, From what i under stand.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
[edit on 043131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone

Correct Kailassa there's this
THE BIG STAGE, An event that must cost 10s thousands of pounds...

A whole host of free, fun family activities will take place in George Square throughout the festive period. From festive film nights and live music to community theatre and carol singing, there's something for everyone to enjoy......

- Well, nearly everyone.

We had something similar in Melbourne ~20 years back, also before a big-crowd event. No deaths were reported in newspapers, but I was working in drug rehab and there was a sudden rush of frightened street-kids wanting to detox after too many of their friends had suddenly died shooting up. All of a sudden all the heroin in the streets was cut with gelatine.

People in shelters for the homeless started dropping like flies too at the same time from some kind of infection. I suggest keeping your eyes open for signs of that happening in Glasgow too. But quietly. You don't want anthrax in your letterbox.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
apparently be laced with bio weapons, my first thought also,

That would make a good topic actually, these foreign countries that hate us could very well use this to get at us, since so many of our population is, hooked.

Why on earth would a foreign government attack another country's heroin addicts and vagrants? Imagine if China killed all America's street-people. (as a random example)
Would that weaken the country or upset the government?

, rather than getting upset they'd huff and puff a bit, while breathing a sigh of relief that the problem had been taken care of.

Qui Bono?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Not directed at you Kailassa!!!!

Posts like this is what killed my thread...so fast.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Why on earth would a foreign government attack another country's heroin addicts and vagrants? Imagine if China killed all America's street-people. (as a random example) Would that weaken the country or upset the government?
, rather than getting upset they'd huff and puff a bit, while breathing a sigh of relief that the problem had been taken care of.

Qui Bono?

Isn't it obvious?

UK pays a lot for health care, just as all Western govts do.

You answered your own question...

[edit on 17-12-2009 by jcrash]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

This is quite interesting. Normally AQ wouldn't use biologicals because it would keep them from entering heaven. But in the case of lacing heroine that might be an exception. Further, sending the message to the West that the sinful ways of the infidel are against Islam with a warning that they do possess chemical weapons. Two birds in their terms.

Glasgow is also the place where the doctors attempted to drive into an airport terminal... unsuccessfully, which always makes terrorists return to the crime scene to complete a mission.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jcrash

Or jcrash, Tie down alot of government agencies with over stretched manpower issues.Thus leaving "a weak link" in Britain's defence line.
Remember this will be driven by politicians, Not the brightest when it comes to practical issues..

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday

Not directed at you Kailassa!!!!

Posts like this is what killed my thread...so fast.

there all fixed

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join