It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Semi-nude Mary and Joseph spark outrage in New Zealand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

A New Zealand church has sparked outrage by erecting a billboard depicting Mary and Joseph lying semi-nude beneath the sheets.

In an unorthodox take on the Christmas tale, the billboard depicts a forlorn Joseph and Mary looking to the sky with a caption which reads: "Poor Joseph. God is a hard act to follow."

The St Matthew-in-the-City church said it wanted to inspire people to talk about the Christmas story.

But within five hours of the billboard going up in downtown Auckland a man was standing on his car roof painting over the raunchy image.

Archdeacon Glynn Cardy said the church meant to challenge a fundamentalist interpretation of Christ's birth.

"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about. Is it about a spiritual male God sending down sperm so a child would be born, or is it about the power of love in our midst as seen in Jesus?"

I find outrage from the Catholic Church ringing a bit hollow after trying to cover up
rampant pedophelia and abuse of children for so many years.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

So the catholic church are hypocrites because like in all walks of life there are paedos. Look at police how many paedos work for police?

On topic, why should anyone care what some atheists think, and christians are the only religion someone can slag off in this world, for some reason.

Do not say anything about other religions but christianity, you can say what ever you want.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Does New Zealand so quickly and readily ban anything as Australia does?

Do they ban with zeal?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by whaaa

So the catholic church are hypocrites because like in all walks of life there are paedos. Look at police how many paedos work for police?

Got any links about pedophile cops? Bold statemants require bold proof otherwise it's just trolling and trying to deflect the thread.

Check it out.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I don't get it. The people complaining about this are all paedos?
two.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

On topic, why should anyone care what some atheists think,

Atheists aren't mentioned in this story... To what are you referring?

Do not say anything about other religions but christianity, you can say what ever you want.

Wait a minute. I remember some cartoons about Mohammad a few years back. Playing the victim isn't going to work this time.

I think the billboard is cute.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think it's funny ...

it's about time some of the good Christian folk found themselves a sense of humour.

Woody

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It seems that they have a naive view of the world, as is evidenced by this thread.

It looks like they were trying to start a conversation using a touch of humor (your taste or not). What they got is what happens with most public discourses. It rapidly polarizes folks into neat compartments with little discussion about that actual impetus.

So, to try to re-track things, I'll say this: I found it rather funny, as it would be a hard act to follow. Could you imagine having to compete with a celestial Don Juan?

I see no more nudity on the billboard than one would see on even the most tame tv shows. Shoot, even bathing suits would be more risque.

This is a non-issue to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
-Poor Joseph. God is a hard act to follow.-

lmao, that's just very clever, i don't see how it could be considered offensive, mary and joesph were married ffs.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
That was hilarious. The best laugh I had all day.

Perhaps they may have an argument about children seeing it, but it really isn't that bad. It's not like the piss Jesus art displays. I think some people are being a bit sensitive about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
YES.
this made m MFing day. omg. i think i might print this out and FRAME IT.

my mom is going to be so pissed, i posted it to my facebook and lol'd it.
she loves religion.
i'm sure "god" has a fantastic sense of humor, or else i wouldn't.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
If there is a God (and I doubt there is, in the Christian sense) then I believe He has more significant issues to worry about than a little poster in New Zealand

[edit on 17-12-2009 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This coming from the same continent that made a movie philosophy a religion. Wtf? when will people stop bashing on other people or creating ridiculous billboards. Never When will people get over it? Never religion and politics will be forever adored. Never So everyone should get a life and deal with what they view as crap in their own way. Now I don't agree with the way the billboard is made up. But I also don't live in New Zealand so it evens out. You wanna do something do it as long as it doesn't promote abortion, random acts of killing, or making a mockery of any religious figure except the Jedi I could care less.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

I think it's funny ...

it's about time some of the good Christian folk found themselves a sense of humour.

Woody

Yep, but how come eople can only upset christians. Say all this about jews, and see the uproar.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch

I think it's funny ...

Woody

Yep, but how come eople can only upset christians. Say all this about jews, and see the uproar.

Really, they should put up a billboard about a joke on Islam. See how long that would last.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick

my mom is going to be so pissed,

Pretty much sums up the spirit behind most religious bashing.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

'Only Christians' !

Really ?

Pick-up a copy of the Oxford Dictionary & Theasaurus and look up the word PAGAN ... (according to them the definition is) ...

PAGAN = godless / irreligious / barbaric / heathen / idolator

(I poop you not) ...

Now imagine that torrent of abuse aimed at any other religion (Pagan covers a number of pre-Christian religions btw so they are not just insulting one group of people) ...

Seriously, not all the people are going to agree with your beliefs/opinions all the time ... a sense of humour makes it more pallatable ... you're not going to change anyones personal opinion by getting angry/upset about it so just relax.

It's a fact of life my friend.

Your OTT reaction makes me wonder if that's why Christians are called the 'flock' because the narrow minded amongst you bleet like little lambs.

Just a joke but I'm guessing you won't be cracking a smile any time soon.

Woody

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

Really, they should put up a billboard about a joke on Islam. See how long that would last.

There is a critical difference between the following 3 things:

1) Christians commenting on Christianity
2) Christians commenting on Islam
3) Muslims commenting on Islam

As you might notice, this thread involves only number 1, so applying number 2 has no bearing at all and is not comparable.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

www.guardian.co.uk...

I find outrage from the Catholic Church ringing a bit hollow after trying to cover up
rampant pedophelia and abuse of children for so many years.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

It says Anglican Church not Catholic...there is a difference.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

www.guardian.co.uk...

The Jesus story was always an outrage that organized religion has tried to sanitize.

The outrage began before Jesus was born.
A young woman became pregnant before the wedding.

The outrage was remembered later in Jesus' life when the says "Isn't this Mary's son...? In Jesus' time children were identified as being their father's sons - unless there was no father.

Then there was the outrage of His birth...
...the long-awaited Messiah was born in a stable, not a palace; wrapped in rags, not in silk; asleep in a feeding trough, not an ivory crib.

The outrage got worse when Jesus began His ministry.
Everyone got Jesus wrong...
...the priests, who we might expect would recognize the coming of their own Messiah, were offended by Him.

Twice, Jesus destroyed their temple marketplace...Jesus hated religion.

The religious leaders and people were offended by the company He kept. He hung out with the outcasts of Jewish society, the 'sinners' the 'farmers', fishermen, tax collectors, prostitutes, and lepers.

His forgiving attitude was an outrage to the 'religious'.
He forgave sin, something the religious knew only God Himself had the authority to do....and they were right.

He defended His disciples when they broke the Sabbath.

Jesus' own disciples were outraged by Him. Jesus spoke of eating His flesh and drinking His blood. John tells us that upon hearing this many of His disciples were offended and left.

Jesus was an outrage from the beginning...
...but the real outrage is that organized religion has sought to 'clean Him up'...
...and sought power, wealth and privelege rather than continue His outrage.

I like the outragous real Jesus...He is more like one of us.

[edit on 17/12/09 by troubleshooter]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join