It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday Reports?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Has anyone heard anything about black Friday this year? Have any reports come out yet? I know a lot of companies are relying on the success of this season to keep them afloat, but everyone is suspiciously quiet about it, especially the mass media.

When I went out on black Friday for a new tie (I had an event that evening) the mall wasn't very busy.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I haven't heard any reports but I have heard that the companies are planning on making larger deals closer to Christmas. More like a "don't put all your eggs in one basket" type thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
My wife works for a MAJOR clothing retailer and happens to work in the mall. Her store is down on the year by a significant amount. However, the mall is ALWAYS packed. I live in South Orange County so it's a very affluent area but I swear I don't see any hints of a recession in this area. People shopping like crazy. I see middle aged women walking out with their hands full of huge shopping bags. Funny thing is 90% of the shoppers are middle aged women. I see hardly ANY middle aged men. Seems like they are all working themselves to the bone to allow their housewives to spend and shop.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
I see hardly ANY middle aged men. Seems like they are all working themselves to the bone to allow their housewives to spend and shop.

...and this differs from the way things have always been in what way? Most married men I have known in my life (including myself) hand over much of their disposable income to their wife.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well I work for a company that works closely with hundreds of other companies (20 of which are in the fortune 50). I've heard on more than one occasion that they need a miracle to get them through the next year. Many of them are desperately trying to change their entire system to get back on track. I think we're going to see a lot of the retail industry fall soon if something doesn't change.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
behindthescenes posted the following link in the Walmart Layoffs thread:

Hard Numbers for 2009 Black Friday market-ticker.org...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
All I know is from my store ( Walgreens ) our sales sucked compared to last year apparently. Though it seems after Black Friday our sales are climbing I'd expect Christmas Eve and Christmas day to net us more than what we got last on Black Friday and more likely more than what we got last Christmas.

P.S. Just a lonely worker, but I listen in on a lot of the managers talking

new topics

top topics

join