It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME releases shameful UFO debunking article

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Initially, I was excited to see the coverage UFO's in the main stream media, but after reading the article i'm disgusted. The article lacks any true merit, and often pokes fun at the idea of UFO's.

Read how they describe Roswell...

a rancher stumbled upon a 200-yard long swathe of rubber strips, tinfoil, wood sticks and Scotch tape in Roswell, N.M., and decided to haul the wreckage to city's Army Air Field, where an excited officer issued a press release claiming a "flying disk" had been recovered. It took less than four hours for a general in Forth Worth, Texas, to step in and claim the wreckage was nothing more than the remnants of an ill-fated weather balloon.

Now anyone who has done 15 minutes of research knows that there is much more to the incident then "rubber strips, tinfoil, wood sticks, and scotch tape" Now don't get me wrong, the literary genius responsible for this article M.J. Stephey, is responsible for other pulitzer deserving articles, such as A Breif History of Waffles, Q&A with Hulk Hogan, and Hottest Heads of State.

TIME has lost credibility by allowing this uninspired garbage to appear on it's website.

Thats my 2c
-E-

[edit on 17-12-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I guess they had nothing to write about!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

There was a great quote by Russell Brand recently, which I think is apt, which I assume he was paraphrasing, he said "tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance", and while I'm sceptical of ETH (and Roswell), such a nuance free treatment of a subject in the mainstream press doesn't surprise me at all. The treatment of many subjects, UFOs/UAPs included, are often covered by journalists and editors with no in-depth knowledge of the subjects they're covering. There are exceptions (I think Jim Oberg's coverage is better than most - he provides cogent arguments, not knee-jerk responses), but I think it's typical of the kind of dumbed down news that assumes a target audience is stupid.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No kidding, It is shameful that the journalistic intergity of main stream media outlets is so uneducated on the topics they report on.

Demi Moore, a native of Roswell, says she never heard about the famous "landing" as a child. But considering how little has yet been made public — most of the Air Force's investigations remain top-secret — for all we know, she could be one of them.

Are you freaking kidding me! You quote Demi Moore on Roswell! Wow! what about Colonel Philip Corso ? You didn't want to refer to the military Colonal who worked on the project, rather you talk about Demi Moore! Downright shameful

-E-

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is also the same magazine touting the fed chairman as "person of the year"...Pretty much shows where their priorities and loyalties lie.

Good news is, I think the public at large is beginning to see through the facade of these vested interests, and how they have manipulated public opinion grotesquely for so long. We are awakening.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Demi Moore, a native of Roswell, says she never heard about the famous "landing" as a child.

I have waited a lifetime for Demi Moore to comment on Roswell. I just need Matt Damon to answer my questions about gravity unification and we are done

I find the vast majority of journalists to be inept at everything apart from writing legible English so copy like this isn't surprising. Remember, these people are journalists not normal people so they can be safely ignored.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I don't know if I'd call it shameful but no thousand-word article is going to do this subject matter justice. At least there is one diamond among the coal...

The earliest UFO sightings in recorded history can be found in 4th-century Chinese texts claiming that a "moon boat" hovered above China every 12 years. Other enthusiasts cite the Book of Ezekiel, in which a curious vessel dropped from the sky and landed in Chaldea, in modern-day Kuwait. A wave of sightings occurred near Rome in 218 B.C. and again in Germany in 1561. During World War II, Allied pilots coined the term "foo fighters" for the bizarre orbs of light that some insisted flew alongside their planes during combat.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I didn't realize it was TIME who gave him that "honor". What a disgrace! congratulations TIME, you have officially lost all credibility.

-E-

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
This is also the same magazine touting the fed chairman as "person of the year"...Pretty much shows where their priorities and loyalties lie.

Despite popular perception, Time's Person of the Year is not an award. Rather it is an acknowledgement of the person that...""for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year."

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
But... but... THEY'RE PREPARING US FOR DISCLOSURE!!!

Right?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonicology
But... but... THEY'RE PREPARING US FOR DISCLOSURE!!!

Right?

Don't worry, Sonic. I'm sure the Disclosure battered-wives will be able to rationalize this as part of Disclosure.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Main Stream Media should be taken with a grain of salt... it's all government (and those above hem) controlled... so why take their subjects / views seriously and get p*ss*ed of because of what they write or say ? Just
at them and stick to Alternative Media, in my opinion there is a whole lot more truth to be found in the Alternative Media and the MSM it's just interresing to know what "they" whould like you to beleave to be true.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Itsonlyme666]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itsonlyme666
Main Stream Media should be taken with a grain of salt... it's all government (and those above hem) controlled... so why take their subjects / views seriously and get p*ss*ed of because of what they write or say ?

Well, the U.S. Intelligence agencies do appear to have an unhealthy influence on the corporate media - heres an interesting excerpt from Richard Dolan's book 'UFOs and the National Security State'.

In addition ,the history of the U.S. media shows unsettling developments,not least of which is penetration by the intelligence community.
By the early 1950s,the CIA had cosy relationships with most major media executives in America.
The most significant of these were with the New York Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, New York Herald Tribune, Saturday Evening Post, Miami Herald, Time-Life, CBS News, Scripps-Howard Newspapers, Hearst Newspapers, The Associated Press, United Press International, The Mutual Broadcasting System and Reuters.
In addition ,the CIA had major ownership over many proprietary publications throughtout Europe,Asia and the Americas.
By the early 1970s the agency admitted to having working relationships with over four hundred American journalists.
Consider the possiblities with four hundred strategically placed people throughout the mainstream media.
There is evidence that this relationship continues.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
What a crock of...

TIME didn't do any research just like the rest of the media, and the result is a worthless article.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I just want one major media outlet to sake a subjective look at the UFO phenomenon so the average person can see that there is credibility to the issue.

-E-

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I just want one major media outlet to sake a subjective look at the UFO phenomenon so the average person can see that there is credibility to the issue.

-E-

Life magazine ran an interesting article back in 1952:

Excerpt from LIFE Magazine article, April 7, 1952 - "Have We Visitors From Outer Space?"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c79114867f0f.jpg[/atsimg]

'Operation Mainbrace' Has File On 'Flying Saucers'

Topcliffe, England --(AP)-- "Operation Mainbrace" headquarters here opened a new signal file today: "Flying saucer sightings and movements."

The Air Ministry said it was investigating a report of a silver-colored circular object moving through the sky about 15,000 feet up at a speed faster than a shooting star.

During the brief glimpse -- between 15 and 30 seconds -- the object was reported to have switched its course and then seemed to descend.

www.project1947.com...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You mean objective, right?

But I don't think you really do want that. You want an article that echoes your viewpoint.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Your right about one thing, I did mean objective, however I don't want to read a article that meerly echos my viewpoints. I wonder why it is that you believe I am the type of person who would throw all logic out the window to further a belief.

-E-

[edit on 18-12-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

I want an article that covers the multitude of great cases where people have seen UFOs up close and there is no conventional explanation for their speed or flight characteristics. When articles and TV documentaries leave out important data and witness testimony, the result is like this TIME Magazine article....watered down, amateur, and limp.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by ufo reality]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yeah i do not really trust time magazine's judgement, they made both Hitler and Stalin man of the year.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join