It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Successful finish of the 2009 LHC run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
In today's memo to CERN personnel, the Director General writes:

Yesterday evening at 18:03, the LHC ended its first full period of operation in style. Collisions at 2.36 TeV recorded since last weekend have set a new world record and brought to a close a successful first run. The LHC has now been put into standby mode, and will restart in February 2010 following a short technical stop to prepare for higher energy collisions and the start of the main research programme.

A technical stop is needed to prepare the LHC for higher energy running in 2010. Before the 2009 running period began, all the necessary preparations to run up to a collision energy of 2.36 TeV had been carried out. To run at higher energy requires higher electrical currents in the LHC magnet circuits. This places more exacting demands on the new machine protection systems, which need to be readied for the task. Commissioning work for higher energies will be carried out in January, along with necessary adaptations to the hardware and software of the protection systems that have come to light during the 2009 run.

The success of the 2009 run is down to the skill and dedication of every one of you. Congratulations and thanks to you all.

Rolf Heuer

Good work and godspeed, LHC team!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm still waiting for comments on how the successful LHC run was only possible because of intervention from the future... Alas, what a sad lack of creative thought in that case... Compare this to exuberance of "pan-dimensional beings", black holes and crazy terminator birds causing shorts in electrical circuits, surrounding the news about LHC just a few weeks ago... boring.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
CERN should just scrap the pile the junk and cut their losses, the Higgs is pure fiction it's mass/energy has to be continually adjusted upwards as it never turns up where it's been predicted (other colliders) just accept it doesn't exist already and stop moving the goal posts.

Heim's theory doesn't require the Higgs for the computation of the exact mass/charge of particles so the Higgs is of no benefit even if discovered it won't move science on any and that in effect makes the whole experiment a huge waste of time.

This experiment is about CERN stealing money from taxpayers and potentially endangering us with potentially dangerous particles that may well crop up.

If they ran it in single beam mode for a lengthy period while observing collisions I wouldn't even have a problem with it but their arrogantly pushing the limits with no thought to potential consequences which could easily be avoided.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Well hey, on the upside we might discover new subatomic particles besides the Higgs Bosen. That would make it worth it in itself.

Personally I agree that the Higgs is fiction but I don't think the LHC will be a total loss. I think they will discover some new stuff in these ultra high energy collisions.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think they are supposed to be releasing more info today/tomorrow (18th) about supposed great new findings.

Its one heck of a machine and good on them for achieving some results this year. Next year should be a cracker.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The LHC will be a monument for the future. Not for the scientifical achievement of mankind but for the failure of it, so future generations don't make the same mistakes.

Ironically in February a technology will be showcased at an American university that is ahead of the LHC's theoretical findings by at least 100 years.

The LHC team will soon need to find a new job.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

Prove it.

Second line.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't think they are going to find it either. The whole standard model depends upon this one particle to explain the mass it would need to bend space-time in order to get frame-dragging and the other theoretical possibilities needed to create gravity and the other things.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Teknikal

Well hey, on the upside we might discover new subatomic particles besides the Higgs Bosen. That would make it worth it in itself.

Right on. There are a few theories being tested, not just Higgs... It's still possible that supersymmetry will be found, and some people think that's more interesting than "boring" Higgs.

Personally I agree that the Higgs is fiction but I don't think the LHC will be a total loss. I think they will discover some new stuff in these ultra high energy collisions.

That's indeed very likely. Regarding Higgs, again: there is a puzzling symmetry breaking we are dealing with (electro-weak). Symmetry is typically broken by a field (interaction). The idea is simple and I like it.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Not wishing to spark a debate here between creationists and atheists, but i'm hoping LHC will yield results that point to this universe being here by design

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

I only have one response to that as to not alter the discussion.

No one ever takes into account that both sides could be completely correct in their own way.

As a creationist that believes in god you should understand and see that things of god's nature are not always so black and white. Sometimes there is gray.

The gray is what makes nature so cool in the first place!

new topics

top topics

join