It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illuminates of thanateros, their goals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hey,

The Illuminates of Thanateros is a magic society, founded in 1978, that pursues chaos magic. This fraternal magical society has been an important influence on some forms of modern esotericism.

wiki

I'm interested in that cult for some reasons. Especially about the "fifth aeon" and the way they improve their minds. So i'm asking to people that know them or better, to members of that cult to talk about the IOT and their goals. I can't believe they only seek to enlighten themselves, when one learn to go beyond its limits, it starts to seek the real power. A few more questions: is there any links between the fifth aeon (liber null) and the gold age/aquarius era/and others new age stuff? Does the IOT control politics? Is there a limit to the chaos magik? And don't answer if you mind this one: what can a master in IOT truly do with his mind?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I was unfamiliar with such a group. I most often perform Chaos Magick as a sole practitioner, and am not sure how a larger structured system would be particularly beneficial. Chaos Magick is different enough from other thought processes and magickal beliefs that I don't see it gaining power with the number of people practicing it. *shrug*

As to your other questions, I seriously doubt the IOT control much of anything. Control and entropy are opposites...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that the I.O.T. died out years ago in the mid-90s. The Pact that replaced it after the IceMagick War was just a shadow of it's previous self.

The I.O.T., having been comprised of Chaos Magicians, was highly disorganized and prone to the same petty in-fighting and bickering that is common in all Fraternal Magickal Orders, just like the O.T.O. or Golden Dawn.

Besides, the nature of Chaos Magick, being highly individualistic, created an atmosphere in the I.O.T. where no one really got along or was willing to work cooperatively.

I was intimately familiar with one of their Lodges (they took me in and gave me housing when I had a personal issue with the local O.T.O. Lodge that operated out of my house when a Grand Inquisitor General for the Order...and his wife...seduced my fiancee and outed me from my own house...but that is another story). While I resided at the I.O.T. Lodge I gained a lot of admiration for their devotion to actually practicing Magick (unlike other Fraternal Magickal Orders that are more socially oriented or are comprised of "Arm-Chair" Magicians), however I also observed that their main impetus was Orgies under the guise of "Sex Magick" (although, hey, to each their own). I also found that there were noticeably a larger percentage of Neo-Nazis amongst the I.O.T. than I had ever seen in any Magickal Order (matter of fact, during the 90's it was often an inside joke that members of the I.O.T. were at large rejects from other Magickal Orders, with a few exceptions that were a cut above the rest). That particular Lodge's crowning achievement was a "Magickal War" with a local "Witch" who was a very negative Public Celebrity. They proudly proclaimed their win over her in their "Magickal War" when one of the Lodge members gave her Herpes. (I kid you not!) However, to their merit, the Lodge Mistress was perhaps one of the kindest people I have ever known, although she would be scathingly ruthless towards those who she deemed her "enemies".

The I.O.T. is not an organization with any singular agenda or a participant (or instigator for that matter) in any Conspiracy. They amount to nothing more than a footnote in Magickal Fraternities, much like the Fraternitas Saturni, or the Cult of Lam. Considering the talent and minds that once belonged to the I.O.T. it could have been so much more, but sometimes pettiness gets in the way and great minds can sometimes come with great egos that cause rifts and schisms and eventually their downfall long before they can ever achieve much of anything.

As to the teachings of Carroll, I honestly hadn't read much past Liber Null and Psychonaut. I am personally unfamiliar with his subsequent works. However, most Ceremonial Magicians basically consider Chaos Magick to be "Magick Lite", of taking the old and making it new again in easy 1-2-3 steps when really there is nothing new that Carroll had presented in either work. However, as I said before, I have never seen people more devoted to actually doing Magick before as I saw with the I.O.T. They really did walk the talk which cannot be universally said about many other Magickal Paths.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Why do they learn chaos magik? What is their purpose? To do petty things such earn money, have luck or find the love? Or something bigger and more usefull? What can you tell me about the fifth aeon?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Can you expand on this magical warfare stuff you mentioned? I keep thinking of Harry Potter and dude's waving wands at each other

Honest question.

new topics

top topics

join