It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Building My Own Casket

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I know that in Texas, the family can pick up the body of a loved one from the hospital and transport them in their own car or truck and bury them in their own backyard .. casket or no.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is really wrong, but some of those cheap caskets look really nice & comfy!

Im not really fussed what happens to me once Im dead. At the end of the day you're dead, whether your buried in an expensive, diamond incrusted casket complete with a drinks holder and in-casket phone, you're still dead. Its silly to think that someone's dead body is going to be offended if you dont spend at least £2000 on the funeral.
As long as 'stayin alive' gets played at my funeral then Im a happy girl, bury me in a cardboard box for all I care!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I'm a cheapo myself but I've always fantazized about been buried on the Moon.

I saw a documentary about a graveyard and I learn't that they dig your grave up after a few hundred years, when no one cares about it anymore and they chuck it away and put someone else there and they are told they will rest there forever. Even if you spend thousands of pounds or dollars on an expensive coffin, it will be discarded anyway and there is no such thing as time in the spirit world so you will see yourself and your expensive coffin been dug up and replaced by someone else.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Guess I'll be buried in a big golf bag then! On the outside it'll say "I'd rather be driving a Titleist".

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Actually, a good idea might be to have some sort of rent-a-casket service.

You get a top of the range coffin for your funeral, something that will look nice in the pictures (yes I have known people to create actual albums on facebook etc contained photos from funerals they've attended), and then when it comes to the burial or whatever way you're being disposed of they can slide you over into some cardboard/plywood ensemble.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
same here, even the most basic caskets and coffins are rediculous. So ive decided to take ma own..pluss this way i get to make it as badass as i want!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoWorldOrder12
same here, even the most basic caskets and coffins are rediculous. So ive decided to take ma own..pluss this way i get to make it as badass as i want!

I hear ya...there's always this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfaf89d69602.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Cremation and having your ashes scattered is a family tradition. We believe that once your soul has passed, who cares about the shell that's left. Its more about closure for the ones you have left behind, so why leave them with the burden of a funeral. A family get together to spread the ashes and say goodbye is all that is necessary.

edit for typo

[edit on 17-12-2009 by calstorm]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
1. Caskets can be watertight, and so can the vault they are placed into. With embalming, your body can last for decades, perhaps for over 100 years or more, and still appear reasonably well put together...not like the movies depict.
2. Organs/parts may be removed from your body after death. For example, your corneas may be involuntarily removed to be used in repairing someone else's eyes.
3. If you have gold teeth, expect the funeral director to remove them and keep the gold. You might as well have them pulled, because they likely won't bury gold.
4. If you want to be cremated, consider this: during cremation, your body will look like a piece of frying bacon.
5. Christians get buried in hopes of a resurrection. (Of course, if you are lost at sea, eaten by dogs, etc., you still get raised. Jesus set an example for us).
6. Bodies are buried so they will raise facing the East, the traditional direction for the coming of Christ per the Bible.

Just so you know.
Opinions?

[edit on 12/17/2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoWorldOrder12
So ive decided to take ma own..pluss this way i get to make it as badass as i want!

If I ever built my own (god forbid, whenever Ive put flatpack furniture together it ends up resembling any number of furniture pieces except the one that its supposed to be), Id put go faster stripes on it & plenty of flashing lights.. maybe even under-casket lighting for when its being carried in.
Oh and a sticker on the bottom saying 'honk if you think my caskets sexy', or 'dead person on board'!

Originally posted by Jim Scott
1. Caskets can be watertight, and so can the vault they are placed into. With embalming, your body can last for decades, perhaps for over 100 years or more, and still appear reasonably well put together...not like the movies depict.

Why would you want to be embalmed? Unless you have aspirations of one day being part of a museum display.
The thought of being coated with all manner of chemicals is about on par with rotting in terms of it being for want of a better word 'icky'.

4. If you want to be cremated, consider this: during cremation, your body will look like a piece of frying bacon.

Thats great, I love bacon!

5. Christians get buried in hopes of a resurrection. (Of course, if you are lost at sea, eaten by dogs, etc., you still get raised. Jesus set an example for us).

Well if you're buried you're either going to be decomposed to hell, a skeleton or resemble a dried prune. So assuming that you wouldnt get ressurected and appear as whatever state your bodies in at the time, why cant you be resurrected from ashes?

[edit on 17/12/09 by Bluebelle]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't know why, I have no explanation, but somehow I am finding the idea of building your own casket adorable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join