It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEBRASKA FIREBALL 9 p.m. Central

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The fireball and the earthquake, is there a connection? Or was it a Coincidence? This does not seem to be any spiral and it is proved that it was a meteor, but I dont get how a metoeor can cause an earthquake.

Readers in Nebraska with photos or eyewitness accounts were asked to submit a report.

At approximately 9 p.m. Central Time on Dec. 16th, a very bright meteor lit up the overcast sky like lightning in southeast Nebraska," reports Trooper Jerry Chab of the Nebraska State Patrol. "It flashed for approximately 2 seconds and was followed by sonic booms and ground shaking, which prompted many calls by the public to law enforcement in a three county wide area." The USGS says there was a magnitude 3.5 earthquake near Auburn, Nebraska, at 8:53 pm Wednesday night, about the same time and place as the fireball.

Source: www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
The fireball and the earthquake, is there a connection? Or was it a Coincidence? This does not seem to be any spiral and it is proved that it was a meteor, but I dont get how a metoeor can cause an earthquake.

The same way any large explosion can, shockwaves!

I didn't hear or feel anything and I'm really sorry I missed it!

Local news report: 3.5 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Nebraska

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
If there is a connection between the meteor and the earthquake it must be a matter of a very big impact…
Thanks for sharing these news.
S&F.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

The same way any large explosion can, shockwaves!

I didn't hear or feel anything and I'm really sorry I missed it!

Local news report: 3.5 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Nebraska

It appears to be a Tunguska-like event...only without the 2,000 square miles of destruction. That sucker had to be huge for it to register 3.5. Now I'm mad I missed it. I'll have to watch Bill Randby later. He's the only weatherman in Omaha who gives this type of stuff proper attention.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I find this a little strange there seems to be more fireballs of late are we going through a part of space where this will happen more than we are use to.
But this one with the earthquake at the same time is probably like links234 said shockwaves.
We are living in strange times some weird things happening of late.

THANKYOU

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
There are fault lines in eastern Nebraska, but they rarely cause trouble. When they do, they're pretty weak. But, yeah, undoubtedly the fireball and the quake are connected.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well the Reports says fireball? Shuttle looked like a fireball too. But a 3.5 quake at same time? A metor to cause that size quake would leave a big hole....we would of herad of it or it would have destroyed something.

I vote crashed UFO type technology ship. That type of energy release could do that maybe.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gray Elf 2009

Not if it exploded above ground and let off a shockwave just like what DarthChrisious said a Tunguska-like event.

THANKYOU

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
reply to post by Gray Elf 2009

Not if it exploded above ground and let off a shockwave just like what DarthChrisious said a Tunguska-like event.

THANKYOU
Is that the event in Sibera?
The mysterious 1908 Tunguska explosion that leveled 830 square miles of Siberian forest.

Any corn fields wiped out?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If these were connected there would be signs of damage because a meteor big enough to cause an earthquake would definitely leave a big mark.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
You have to addmitt its fun to debate our ideas against each other. I love mystries like this.

There is the slight possibility that it is mearly a coincidence.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
As far as I know no meteorite has been said to cause an earthquake that I have heard of, and so many meteorites hit the earth regularly and that does not cause an earthquake.

But if they can make shockwaves then it must be just like an earthquake.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think it was a foiled nuclear missile...destroyed by the same kind of missile defense system we were trying to put in the E.U. to protect against Russian missiles (We don't think we don't have that missile defense system here, do we?).

Anyway, here's the quake data:
Quake Data

And here's the location (Note: Look how lonely it is. It's got to be the most sparse map of earthquakes I've seen in 5 years of looking at quake maps. i.e. it never happens there.):
Exact Quake Location
Quake map 2 (Wider)

Far fetched? Probably...just my take.

EDIT: Omission due to further research.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by lagnar]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Without any evidence, you leap to UFO? That's not very rational of you.

reply to post by DarthChrisious

No, it appears to be a meteorite, and an earthquake at the same time. Not unheard of, and definitely not a Tunguska-type event, which was a meteoroid or comet exploding in the air.

Why do people make stuff up and leap to such ridiculous conclusions? I know it's fun to play make-believe, but when make-believe starts invading our lives, surely that's the first step towards delusion.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

I am sure that over the entire Earth there were several meteorites at the same time as the earthquake...however it seems a little unlikely that there would be a meteorite with lightshow and sound effects...at precisely the same time as an earthquake in exactly the same location.. I think the odds of such a coincidence are rather huge.

I don't know what the connection might be..but just seems unlikely there would be none at all.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by expat2368]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

No, it appears to be a meteorite, and an earthquake at the same time. Not unheard of, and definitely not a Tunguska-type event, which was a meteoroid or comet exploding in the air.

Why do people make stuff up and leap to such ridiculous conclusions? I know it's fun to play make-believe, but when make-believe starts invading our lives, surely that's the first step towards delusion.

I agree, these two events may well be unconnected, and a coincidence.

However, let's not be too quick to discount an air-burst from a meteoroid (glad to see you got the term correct!) since these do happen from time to time, causing the ground to shake. Air-bursts are actually how most large meteoroids that hit our atmosphere end up, although air-burst on the scale of Tunguska are extremely rare. There have been quite a few like this in the past year alone:

South Africa Nov. 21 - Another big fireball/meteor (w/video footage)
Midwest megameteor makes media madness
Great Western Fireball
Fireball and flash in the sky alarms Utahns
Indonesian Super-Bolide Explosion ( why wasn't this on the news?)
Asteroid explosion over Indonesia raises fears about Earth's defences
UFO crash in Russia last week
Fireball over Holland(w/ pic!)
Huge light over the gold coast city
Loud explosions in Hampton Roads area
UFO-induced "Non--sonic" Boom Rattles So. Cal?
UFO - meteor like object with sonic boom above Dallas and Austin Texas!
Possible UFO crash in Saudi Arabia - Millions Of Witnesses!!
Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

As for there being more big meteor type events than normal... There is no evidence for that at this point in time, although we are getting to hear about more of these type of events since there are many more cameras around now to capture them. Previously, events like this did not make the news, since there was rarely any footage, and without footage they are not really news-worthy.

Also, being on a site like ATS, you will get to hear about these things more than the general public. Ask someone who is not on ATS how many big fireballs they have heard of this year if you don't believe me.

For a more in-depth look at the issue have a look at the discussion here.

All those saying that there should be a big hole/crater somewhere, need to read up on the subject a bit before commenting!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Without any evidence, you leap to UFO? That's not very rational of you.

reply to post by DarthChrisious

yeah I sometimes jump the gun..act and don't think....its a human thing...its just my thought on the subject...don't need to get carried away on Psychology 101..its just how we figure things out sometimes....all cards on the table then start picking threw them.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It does appear to have been another big meteor, though according to spaceweather.com the quake seems to have preceded the fireball.

Comments: Laurie Riley: "It sounded like the loud grain haulers that go by but about 5 times louder. The whole house shook. The kids came running down stairs – they were scared. The only thing I noticed last night is my vehicle was moved – since it’s been snowing and ice out, I park backwards and park with two tires on my sidewalk for traction and after the quake, it shook my vehicle so the back tire slide off the sidewalk and the front tire was almost off. It lasted about 5 seconds or so. Very loud rumble."

Comments: Doug Kniffen: "My daughter and I saw the fireball from east central Missouri (Warren County). 9:05pm on my wristwatch (set to WWV). The fireball appeared about magnitude -6, with distinctly green streamers outlining the tail. Certainly an impressive sight, sure wish I had a picture. Very low apparent altitude, would have missed it if the trees hadn't dropped their leaves. Told my daughter that there was a good chance of fresh meterorites in Nebraska. Nice to know that my estimate of a fall zone was close."

More reports: spaceweather.com

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
I am sure that over the entire Earth there were several meteorites at the same time as the earthquake...however it seems a little unlikely that there would be a meteorite with lightshow and sound effects...at precisely the same time as an earthquake in exactly the same location.. I think the odds of such a coincidence are rather huge.

Quite right, and as I posted above, it seems the timing is wrong for the two events to be connected.

Even so, neat coincidence that they were roughly in the same place at the same time.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

For what it's worth, I live in Sabetha, Ks., about 40 miles more or less due south of Auburn, Neb., the site of the event. At around 9:00 PM I was on the computer with no sound from TV or radio. I did hear a sound like a large explosion at a great distance. Sort of a muffled "FOOM", and considered that it may have rattled the house a bit. I said to myself aloud, "what the h#!! was that". At the time I waited to hear emergency sirens, thinking there was an explosion somewhere near enough for the local police to be involved. I did not see the light in the sky as I was indoors. After several minutes of silence and no sirens, I let the event pass.

Today at work the office buzz was all about the earthquake in Auburn. At lunch time I looked it up on my home computer and learned about the meteor that accompanied the earthquake. This afternoon I was talking with a co-worker who had still not heard about the earthquake, so I informed him about the quake and the meteor. He then told me that he and his wife were coming north from Topeka, Ks., which is about 50 miles more or less due south from Sabetha, about that time and saw a flash in the sky to the west of Hwy 75 that was long enough to turn his head and see just as the flash was ending. It was enough that they both saw it and discussed what it could have been.

With this information, it would be easy to assume that the meteor was on a path from south to north.

Well that's my two cents worth. Any feedback or opinions are welcome.

Thanks, this is my first comment (and visit) on the ATS site

top topics

<<   2 >>

join