It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School officials in suburban Dallas have given an in-school suspension to 4-year-old Taylor Pugh...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

School officials in suburban Dallas have given an in-school suspension to 4-year-old Taylor Pugh because his hair is considered too long.

www.news3insider.com

"They kicked me out that place," said Taylor, 4, who prefers the nickname Tater Tot. "I miss my friends."

Taylor's parents say he plans to eventually cut his hair and donate it to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients. But they're not happy with the district's rules.

It appears the school district "is more concerned about his hair than his education," said Taylor's father, Delton Pugh. "I don't think it's right to hold a child down and force him to do something ... when it's not hurting him or affecting his education."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-12-2009 by NewWorldDisorder]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
What authority does the public school system have to do this? Sure I won't argue with the baggy pants, etc. (gang codes). But this? I think the whole "because it's for charity" thing is a brilliant cover story (if it isn't actually true which we will ever know) but honestly, a four year old? This is why I believe in privately or home schooling children.

While my opinion is greatly influenced by the fact that I have a child of my own, this topic infuriates me!

www.news3insider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-12-2009 by NewWorldDisorder]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The link you posted sends me to a spam page for Work at home. I must say however that that is the dumbest reason I have heard for suspending a child. A freaking 4 yr old for crying out loud. Who were they trying to punish, the parents? Because the boy is way to young to even understand what is happening.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
They tried this once back in the 1930's...Uniforms, Hair codes etc. I think it was in Germany. I could be wrong though

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
OMG - I thought that hair thing went out long ago.

He was expelled for something more I am sure - these days, hair does not matter.

If I was his mum, I would be in their face.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
From what I can tell, after reading about the district policies, this is probably be going to the courts, as it is a public school system and some of what is being put out could be challenged in court. If it is a private school, then the parents have to abide by the rules, but the public school systems I believe are a bit different, and could be construded as to being non pc and setting up specific roles for boys and girls, and not being equal in the eyes of the law.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The link goes to a scam news link, so I don't know the details of this story, but unless the kid's hair was so long that it was interfering with his schooling somehow, there was no reason to do this. (like being so long he can't see anything, or getting in the way in gym class or something) Even then, you don't just drop a suspension on the kid without warning, you try more reasonable things, like talking to the parents about it. A suspension for long hair is like using a tactical nuke to get rid of a wasp's nest. It's just a bit overboard.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Denver post link

Try this link.

Or this video.

They claim a dress code, it sounds like something for the court to decide. I can't imagine a child's hair being any issue really.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
That’s just ridicules; I mean a 4 year old FORCED to cut his hair. Come on. People in this country are becoming way too uptight, about way to much stuff that doesn’t concern them. This is just wrong. This is where people need to take a stand. it’s the little things that matter. Before you know it. You’ll have to rent your own books and lockers. Hmm… I think you got to rent lockers now? Just sad. People need to stand up for their Rights, together.

top topics

join