It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the Book "Chariots of the Gods" been Debunked?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I think I will check this site out as well. Looks very interesting. Thx Doc!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by grantbeed

Daniken comes up with a lot of good stuff, but I don't agree with his bottom line that we were seeded from aliens. He makes this jump without proof and has ton of emotionalism in his book to get the reader on his side.
actually he said nothing like that. he did however present the question. The book is a wonderful read. no he didnt make it up. its what he found in his research. Pretty much the only people that can say anything negative are people that have never actually red the book. Its pretty much read by only three groups of people. Skeptics (real skeptics, not the negative idiots that think they have all the answers, you have but one real skeptic so far that has responded that i have seen.. the one that said, I dont agree with his theories but I read the book to see where people......" the second group are those that sincerely research this phenom on a more accepting approach, and the third, are people like you. No real footing just yet..but still curious. I would read that one, and some of his other works and determing where you stand from that. Secondly, he backs all his research up with REAL Citation, and doesnt make stuff up as he goes along.. like to of your responders do. Just carry on. No it hasnt been debunked. its hard to debunk archaeology when most of the archaeologists themselves show disbelieving curiosity. In that they say the do not believe, but still they wonder. OThers just get upset. You read it and take your own stance. Me? Im still researching myself. I do believe, but I want to make sure its on my terms and not goaded along by the work of others.
cheers

Oh let me add in it was never debunked by people that actually do the work. pretty much all the debunkers are either full of sh** because they read the book incorrectly (avoiding the constant questionmarks) or those that refuse to even read it and just snuff the nose at everything that questions what they believe.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by stanlee]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
You might want to check out Cult of the Alien Gods. It's about how horror-scifi writer HP Lovecraft influenced and may have been the genesis of ancient astronaut theories.
oof all the books I have read by that racist SOB. (i do love his stories politics aside) I have never remotely thought that. Damn. good show mate.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The Nazca lines have been shown in well-done TV documentary to have connections to water sources at the end of the lines. The straight lines, that is. The silliest explanation, though, has to be from those who say they're runways for alien craft!
wow kid. you will believe what ever comes on tv. How the hell were there water ways that high above the sea level? Why are the mountains with the lines basically shaved? and where did the rubble go? well then again, considering the source, Its not difficult to surmise where you get your info.. again making it up as you go along.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Sure there is some bollocks in Von Danicken's books but there are also some gem's in there.

Of course some of it is speculative but there is also quite a bit of reasoned arguement and there has been no satisfactory explanation for some of the points he has raised.

And the comparison between the myths and legends from across the globe is stunning and was a revelation to me all those years ago when I first read him.

I think Von Daniken is genuine in his belief, he has just been guilty of naivety and amateurism in the past.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

no.. not really. all he did in that particular book was ask questions. he presented his IDEA and asked QUESTIONS. nothing immature about that really. the guy never said Hey... nazca is an airstrip. he did ask this however. But people will keep on seeing what they want. Atleast you have the do both credit and disclaim. essentially taking what makes sense to you. I myself have to agree. some is far fetched, yet some makes sense.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I found this book at my grandmas house last year and read it. I thought it was pretty good achully, I know that some of its been de-buned by now but still its a proper good read

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I've read a lot of Daniken's work and caught appearances and televised stuff he's done on the History Channel. his theories are very interesting. if you look at the actual artifacts, depictions, pictures, etc. there is amazing stuff intricately placed in there. i love to think that a lot of what he claims about alien existence is true, factual and certainly worth further investigation.

it ties in a lot with Zecharia Sitchin's translations if you have read any of those books too. enjoy the reading. it's worth anyone's time.

www.enirnabu.blogspot.com...

[edit on 01/19/2009 by enir nabu]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Now, in all fairness, Von Daniken has been scammed by hoaxers before.

On one occasion, for example, Von Daniken became fascinated with what appeared to be ancient stone engravings that appeared to depict advanced surgical techniques — open heart surgery, brain surgery — as performed by primitive people hundreds of years ago in Latin America.

Von Daniken collected a few of these engraved stones, wrote about them and lectured on them, much to the delight of his audience.

However, after he broke the story, a few serious archaeologists investigated the source of the stones and revealed the fact that they were manufactured by a modern con-artist who sold them as souvenirs. Really expensive souvenirs.

When this hoax was exposed, skeptics immediately accused Von Daniken of cooking up the whole scam. What's interesting is that, while the skeptics correctly condemned the hoax, they accused Von Daniken without a shred of evidence that he was the mastermind. So the skeptics were perpetuating their own lies.

Von Daniken admitted that he himself had been fooled and apologized for publicizing the fake stones, but he never took responsibility for inventing the hoax. He had simply been suckered, just like everyone else.

So, yeah, you need to be a little wary of some "mysteries," but don't allow one hoax to color your perception of all mysteries.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

I am wondering whether to read this book, "Chariots of the Gods" by Eric Von Daniken.

Well, it is a book that deals a lot with Ancient Astronauts. Also, E.V.D. stated something to the effect. People get upset with my book. But they don't realize its full of questions... It has 400 question marks in it. (or something like that)

So, instead of saying Ancient Astronauts are responsible for the pyramids, he would say... Did Ancient Astronauts build the pyramids?

But, it is one of my favorite books from childhood.

Should I really be giving my time to this book or not?

Well, its only ~ 100 double sided pages, and you can skip the uninteresting chapters if you like...

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Now, in all fairness, Von Daniken has been scammed by hoaxers before.

On one occasion, for example, Von Daniken became fascinated with what appeared to be ancient stone engravings that appeared to depict advanced surgical techniques — open heart surgery, brain surgery — as performed by primitive people hundreds of years ago in Latin America.

Von Daniken collected a few of these engraved stones, wrote about them and lectured on them, much to the delight of his audience.

However, after he broke the story, a few serious archaeologists investigated the source of the stones and revealed the fact that they were manufactured by a modern con-artist who sold them as souvenirs. Really expensive souvenirs.

When this hoax was exposed, skeptics immediately accused Von Daniken of cooking up the whole scam. What's interesting is that, while the skeptics correctly condemned the hoax, they accused Von Daniken without a shred of evidence that he was the mastermind. So the skeptics were perpetuating their own lies.

Von Daniken admitted that he himself had been fooled and apologized for publicizing the fake stones, but he never took responsibility for inventing the hoax. He had simply been suckered, just like everyone else.

So, yeah, you need to be a little wary of some "mysteries," but don't allow one hoax to color your perception of all mysteries.

— Doc Velocity

Someone this gullible should have no credibility(I'm talking about Von. D not Doc. V). He was either a scam artist or he was an idiot. Anyone reads this book and thinks he asks serious questions..is a gullible fool. He makes a lot of something out of absolutely nothing.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by kerazeesicko]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Von Daniken did a lot more than just ask questions, he made some pretty far out claims as well:

Either this data is to be explained by assuming these primitive idiots did this themselves or we must accept the more plausible notion that they got help from extremely advanced peoples who must have come from other planets where such technologies as anti-gravity devices had been invented.

He also fabricated evidence:

Von Daniken claimed that a non-rusting iron pillar in India was evidence of extraterrestrial influence.[1] However, he admitted in a Playboy interview that the pillar was actually rusty and man-made, and that as far as supporting his hypotheses goes "we can forget about this iron thing.

Where is the proof for von Daniken's claims? Some of it was fraudulent. For example, he produced photographs of pottery that he claimed had been found in an archaeological dig. The pottery depicts flying saucers and was said to have been dated from Biblical times. However, investigators from Nova (the fine public-television science program) found the potter who had made the allegedly ancient pots. They confronted von Daniken with evidence of his fraud. His reply was that his deception was justified because some people would only believe if they saw proof!

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
In his own defense he states that he makes no claims.
I heard him say that in an interview so I re watched the video and pulled the book off the shelf and reread it. It's true, he makes no claims. He asks over 172 open questions about the possibility.

I'd highly recommend anybody who disagrees with my statement to go ahead and reread the book or re watch the video.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You cannot debunk the book. The book doesn't make any claims. The book merely presents you with odd facts and asks the reader to question what we are taught to commonly believe. Von Daniken was smart in that he did not make any actual claims. He only presents evidence and asks questions. That being said, you cannot debunk it. Although some of the things in the book have been scientifically explained. Some have not. Nazca is just plain weird. There's a top of a mountain just gone???? I dunno, but I think there are many things to which we are not privy to.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Van Daniken is a criminal and a lunatic.... he has been charged and incarcerated twice for fraud... I wouldn't believe a word out of that guys mouth.

SOURCE: Von Däniken's run-ins with the law started at an early age. In the 1960s, Von Däniken worked in hotels and restaurants across Switzerland, and then he was convicted of fraud, serving a prison sentence for defrauding his boss at one hotel. In 1967, soon after Chariots of the Gods was published he was arrested and charged by Interpol with fraud and tax evasion for non-payment of US$14,000.00. On behalf of the prosecution, he was ordered by the Court to undergo psychological examinations, and labelled a homosexual, reflecting a time when being homosexual carried a negative stigma. During the investigation, authorities uncovered a large personal debt totaling about US$700,000. Von Däniken was found guilty of embezzlement, and he served more than three years in Swiss prisons. While in prison, he continued writing, and 'Return of the Gods' was subsequently published.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by tmayhew01]

[edit on 18-12-2009 by tmayhew01]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Enormous drawings that were undoubtedly meant as signals for a being floating in the air are found on mountainsides in many parts of Peru. What other purpose could they have served?

Here he is claiming that the Nazca lines were signals for a floating being in the sky. He's not asking "could they be signals?", he's claiming undoubtedly that's what they were.

In the courtyard of a temple in Delhi there exists, as I have already mentioned, a column made of welded iron parts that has been exposed to weathering for more than 4,000 years without showing a trace of rust. In addition it is unaffected by sulphur or phosphorus. Here we have an unknown alloy from antiquity staring us in the face.

Here he is making the claim that the iron column in India has no trace of rust, but it does show rust on it. He's just making %!$# up.

Von Daniken claimed that a non-rusting iron pillar in India was evidence of extraterrestrial influence.[1] However, he admitted in a Playboy interview that the pillar was actually rusty and man-made, and that as far as supporting his hypotheses goes "we can forget about this iron thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Van Daniken deserved credit for taking a notion that was dreamed up many years before him by science fiction writers, finding a lot of ancient artwork and "mysteries," and tying them all together with wild speculation to try and sell the idea.

His main thesis has always been: "Well, this looks like a spaceman, so that's what it has to be!" Never mind that interpreting art of any kind is iffy, and especially art from thousands of years ago.

His secondary thesis is: "We don't know how this building was constructed, so aliens must have done it!" Somebody drank all the milk in the refrigerator. We don't know who, so it must have been aliens!

Art and mythology are not necessarily the truth. There are things called fictional stories. There is art that records dreams, or nothing that ever really existed. Most little children grow up and understand this. Some never do.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am currently reading this book. His historical facts are pretty interesting, some of the things I'm not sure can be debunked. The world has change since 1977. He has really good theories on several things. One thing we need to keep in mind so many archeologists and scientists need government grants to keep going. People that come up with unpopular, unorthodox ideas will lose their funding. It doesn't necessarily mean the guy can be totally debunked it means that science and archeology are on the the payroll of people who are not about to spill the real deal.

From my own experiences I do not necessarily doubt the Ancient Astronaut theory either. ,People are being taken, genetic material harvested. Thousands upon thousands of accounts exist in the modern day, then you corrolate those with the stories and myths of the past.Is connecting the dots really that difficult?

If I hear one more person blather on like they are an expert on sleep paralysis when I have been abducted just dozing off and awakened by an alien standing over my bed, (they still make you immobile) I shall scream. The only thing moving is your mind, begging and pleading them to just leave you the hell alone! Perhaps it is that dose of terror they get off on? I learned not to be scared but it took years. Is the sleep paralysis phenom another way TPTB tries to debunk what is really going on to more people than can be imagined? I tend to think so. They are not honest with us ever about the existance of Aliens, and go to great lengths to make people think they are delusional.

I do not consider myself stark raving mad. The majority of those who come forward with this aren't hoaxers looking to make a buck. I will not be writing a book about my life as an abductee but that doesn't make me a liar either. Still, I am not so naive to think everyone is as forthcoming and honest as myself in their recollections and accounts either.There are those with outlandish claims that ruin it for everyone else.

I think what I took away from this book is simply based on comparing all the stories world wide, the unbelievable monuments and statues that exist which make it practically unfathomable that man created these without some sort of divine inspiration or assistance from the cosmos, I would not be able to deny the existance of traveling aliens even if I hadn't been abducted. Something greater than us assisted these earliest of people.

I do not believe they are God, but as I have stated before in other threads they want to be Gods or God like. They possibly told the ancient people they were and used them as slaves, breeders,etc. If we connect the dots it makes quite an arguement that is tough to debunk.

I would suggest this book to people who are skeptics of aliens having ever visited Earth or their existance. Science once believed the Earth was flat and we were the most important thing in the Universe.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by of the Ether
If I hear one more person blather on like they are an expert on sleep paralysis when I have been abducted just dozing off and awakened by an alien standing over my bed, (they still make you immobile) I shall scream.
Instead of screaming, how about videotaping the encounter? For example, you can get trail cameras that have motion sensors that start taking pictures when they detect motion.

Even if you really ARE being abducted, scientists will be skeptical until you offer something more substantial than just your perception, like a videotape or some photos.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Go ahead and read it, friend. Eric Von Daniken doesn't so much tell you things, he asks questions about things that were here since Ancient Times. He finds common threads in different cultures, and sometimes make what is thought to be a Myth become a Truth instead. Chariots was my first "wake up" book, I read it in school.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join