It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We Support Our Troops!" Brought to you by TPTB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There has been something bugging me after the decision was made to go to war with Iraq. As quickly as the war came, the dissenter's began, and the media piped up the phrases of supporting our troops. Patriotism was thrown against dissenter's of the war as being disrespectful to our troops. This in turn caused war dissenter's to be scorned for being opposed to the war in Iraq. Support our troops they said no matter if you agree with the war or not.

I've had discussions with my father who served in Vietnam that came back to a country that hated him for serving. Had his enlistment not been involuntary like most people back then he might not have been involved in Vietnam. When our troops arrived home they were chastised and called names for participating in a war that had no purpose. My father didn't deserve to be heckled for his service, especially when the service was mandated. However, in this war in Iraq service to this war is voluntary and it means one believes they are keeping us safe by fighting wars in foreign lands.

So it begs the question if I think the war is making us less safe, why do I need to support our troops? They certainly are not refusing orders, or refusing to serve in the conflict. Does it make me less patriotic to disagree with our troops when I believe their actions put me at a greater risk of harm? So who invented this "Support our Troops" motto? I certainly do not wish harm to anyone at anytime but if I don't support the troops then people will think I wish them harm. Maybe our wars would be over quicker if people stopped supporting our troops instead of coddling their improper decisions to enlist to fight a bogus war while our country is raped and pillaged from within.

The sad facts are that a majority of our troops join our military for a job. Because if they truly understand our constitution they would stand down until congress declares an actual declaration of war. I'm sorry, I support the troops that hold the constitution in the highest regards. It does not mean I blindly support them all just because they think they are doing me a favor.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Look most of the troops over there and here, and the Vets (like myself) who served in Iraq and Afghan, belive in America, not the government. However there are some who still belive the lies that we are told. I was blind to it both times I was there, if you diddnt belive in the war you were a commie. But now That I actual use my brain I know that the troops are nothing more then cannon fodder for TBTB, it makes me sick, We need to create an Army with one purpose destruction of those ass clowns in D.C

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Do you think it is most of the troops? I can't tell you how many I've run into that are brainwashed beyond any repair.

I can tell you are awake though as you didn't come right out and bash me for having an opinion. I appreciate your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You can support the troops without agreeing with the war, or the government.

My Dad was in Vietnam as well. He talks about how difficult it was knowing that many folks condemned the soldiers.

I don't think we should be in the war, either. And I certainly don't agree with the governments "reasons" for the war in the first place.

But I realize that a lot of the service men and women fighting most likely don't want to be there, either. And to help them get through this tough time is support. Sending them care packages, letters, phone cards.....that's support. Saying a prayer for their safety and quick return....that's support.

You could even argue that working to bring the troops back home is support.

I believe it depends on how you do it; with a kind and loving heart instead of a vindictive one.

You're right, its a tough area to pin down.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Yes I do think a weak majority, and when I say weak I mean about 55% are blind. But dont think they are brainwashed beyond repair, I once was one of those soldiers who thought the government would do us troops no harm. I saw better, I saw (was) wounded troops held in squalor or substandard hospitals, I myself set in a holding area (wounded) for 3 days before i was taking from Iraq and sent to Germany. My wounds constited of sever concusions from ID blast, fractured skull, and broken soul. A friend of mine died there after he an IED blast at a CASH due to improper treatment.

So yes I belive some can change but I doubt all will, as longas they keep getting paid and there families are taking care of they will always be on the side of the bad guys.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I agree with the points you bring up.

I don't support the war, and by extension i don't support the troops.

But just because i don't support the troops doesn't mean if i met a member of the armed services i'd be rude or disrespectful to them. I'd treat them just the same as i would anyone else.

I just don't think you can separate the governments who start the wars and the soldiers who fight them. I think it's pathetic to bring up the issue of patriotism when someone is against the war or calling them cowards etc.

COWARDICE, n. A charge often levelled by all-American types against those who stand up for their beliefs by refusing to fight in wars they find unconscionable, and who willingly go to prison or into exile in order to avoid violating their own consciences. These 'cowards' are to be contrasted with red-blooded, 'patriotic' youths who literally bend over, grab their ankles, submit to the government, fight in wars they do not understand (or disapprove of), and blindly obey orders to maim and to kill simply because they are ordered to do so—all to the howling approval of the all-American mob. This type of behaviour is commonly termed 'courageous.'"

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I'm sorry to hear about your friend that died, and the troubles you went through. Like another person stated, I respect our troops and all people that feel they are doing the right thing. I heard a congressman the other day make a comment that we should do away with a volunteer military as it breeds corruption within and has no differing viewpoints. This congressman said that an involuntary military would rebel from unjust wars, whereas career military would just follow orders.

new topics

top topics

join