It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super-Earth: Astronomers Find a Watery New Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Aeons

But you need two.
One here and one there.

I know - or do you?
If it is direct communication one is trying to accomplish you would need two sources.

But if it is a "snap shot" of information - how much information can be interpreted from the particle here? What if you have trillions of such particles, how much information do they convey about where the counterparts of each is?

Can one recreate the effect of the "eye" the "I" at a distance?

Okay - now I'm going to continue thinking about this for a while. In the meantime, I think I'll break out my crystal ball too.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

It would have to be manned, and we'd need a much higher level of space travel technology.

~Keeper

And possibly something that makes human lives much longer so they can travel there without dieing of old age lol.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Stored embroyos, brought up by robots. Long storage capacity.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

I just had a thought, what if our first contact with alien life would be with robots sent by them, because of the time it takes lol. It's always a possibility.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think that large scale humanoid robots in that case would be less likely, unless it was a cultural thing on their side.

Recognizance with insectoid robotics of some sort would be more likley.

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by Aeons

I just had a thought, what if our first contact with alien life would be with robots sent by them, because of the time it takes lol. It's always a possibility.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It is Solaris!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Don't pack your bags just yet...

The surface temperature is estimated at about 374 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!

Yikes!

Their supposition is that the pressure will keep the water liquid....well...it's still just a guess.....

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

It would have to be manned, and we'd need a much higher level of space travel technology.

~Keeper

And possibly something that makes human lives much longer so they can travel there without dieing of old age lol.

Have you ever seen the movie Moon? www.imdb.com... I don't want to spoil it but that would be a good way!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Don't pack your bags just yet...

The surface temperature is estimated at about 374 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!

Yikes!

Their supposition is that the pressure will keep the water liquid....well...it's still just a guess.....

Ah - but does it have a moon?
A smaller neighbour nearby?

That there is another planet that has water and may contain some sort of life is interesting, in that it confirms that the possibility of human habitable planets in our cosmic neighbourhood.

The moons with water of our own solar system need to be explored first. Be able to test something here on Earth that can be proven to land in the Arctic, drill down through ice, or plunge in towards volcanic activity, then relaunch itself into the atmosphere AND leave orbit again. Well, that'd be a good first step.

No matter - I am the Christmas Day Space Junky - I may not have anymore room currently, but God Damn I'm still going to keep thinking about if I can have another piece of pie.

[edit on 2009/12/17 by Aeons]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

Lol, I just noticed I put a one liner there. Sorry about that Mods.

For those who don't know or may not know. "Solaris" is a science fiction novel written by Polish author called Stanislaw Lem.

The novel is talking about how humans and Aliens having difficulty communicating with each other.

I hope I don't spoil it for anyone, but Solaris in the novel is actually a planet sized single organism. The entire planet is covered with ocean, which the entire surface ocean itself is an Alien being.

That book always intrigued me somewhat. Gave me different view of things. Like how we're all looking for life that exist in water but we don't consider the "water" itself maybe an Alien species.

Anyway, cool discovery, the only thing different between this and Solaris was the small percentage of land that exists on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join