It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secrets of Mysterious 'Night-Shining' Clouds Unlocked by NASA's AIM Satellite and Models

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The Link

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f26726344f5.jpg[/atsimg]

NASA's Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere (AIM) satellite has captured five complete polar seasons of noctilucent (NLC) or "night-shining" clouds with an unprecedented horizontal resolution of 3 miles by 3 miles. Results show that the cloud season turns on and off like a "geophysical light bulb" and they reveal evidence that high altitude mesospheric "weather" may follow similar patterns as our ever-changing weather near the Earth's surface.

Interesting on many levels for someone like me who has pretty basic knowledge of weather and weather patterns.

The AIM measurements have provided the first comprehensive global-scale view of the complex life cycle of these clouds, also called Polar Mesospheric Clouds (PMCs), over three entire Northern Hemisphere and two Southern Hemisphere seasons revealing more about their formation, frequency and brightness and why they appear to be occurring at lower latitudes than ever before.

The clouds usually form at high latitudes during the summer of each hemisphere. They are made of ice crystals formed when water vapor condenses onto dust particles in the brutal cold of this region, at temperatures around minus 210 to minus 235 degrees Fahrenheit. They are called "night shining" clouds by observers on the ground because their high altitude allows them to continue reflecting sunlight after the sun has set below the horizon. They form a spectacular silvery blue display visible well into the night time.

Anther very cool planetary phenomenon explained by science. Sometimes it is hard to not let he feeling of 'magic' dissipate with such discoveries and announcements. However, I still find such information fascinating.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
thanks very much for this post and linky

do you know if they are a recent thing or have they always been around ??

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great find and post! I never even knew of this phenomenon. Thank you for helping me to deny my ignorance! FLAG for sure...

LifENcircleS

new topics

join