It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computers, Are They taking Over The World?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Every think these days is some how controlled by computers..his is what would happen if someone hacked in to all the computers all around the world and took over.
All water supplies would be controlled by them, all electricity and road systems. They would have near total control�what would we do? We couldn�t do anythink!!

[Edited on 23/5/04 by Krisboton]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I wouldn't be worried about hackers, i would be worried about AI. The ability of AI's are increasing each year and it won't be long till with a smart computer that can think for itself.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Our lives thrive by computers. The majority of the world could not continue without the use of them. Everything you do somewhere..sometime during an ordinary day is done with computers. Imagine how your life would change if this indeed did happen for an extended period of time. I believe utter chaos for the world as we know it. Maybe even the end of it as it is too late to go back now. Freaky when you think about how much our lives depend upon them to live.

I'm a Waterplant Operator and can tell you that I service a large city and it is run by computers to an extent. Over the years we have increased our network 10 fold and now run most of our system by computers. Interesting theory and will find out what our procedure would be in case of such an attack.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by I See You]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
humm....guess so

and im not worried just saying, cuz of the internet and with the right program it could happen!

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
On the other hand i'd worry about hackers just as much as AI, at the current moment we don't have sufficient AI that is capable of challenging humans (that i know of, please feel free to correct me). On the other hand we have hackers who could potentially exploit the software we use and cause major disturbances. Lets have a look at the major blackout last summer, was this not a result of a software failure? That alone assures me that if someone malicious were to find a glitch in software we depend on we could be in boiling water - again!

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
i don't think there would be chaos or anything without computers. i was in the big black out last summer, and if anything it made everything BETTER for the few days.

not to mention i go on a month long trip every summer to the middle of nowhere in northern michigan... i'm away from all civilization for that time, and it's wonderful.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
[quote]not to mention i go on a month long trip every summer to the middle of nowhere in northern michigan... i'm away from all civilization for that time, and it's wonderful. [quote]

I hear what you saying a I do the same every year to The Adirondacks backpacking and I love it also. Yat as far as the way our country runs it would be devastating.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
what would happen if someone hacked in to all the computers all around the world and took over.

Why do you think the homeland security departmenet is getting more and more busy as time move on? They are aware of the menace of hackers, so they try to hire them all, or put them behind bars.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That's ok. Everything is controlled by electricity first...and then we've already been brainwashed by television. Why not computers? It's just another new experience. Maybe they could get rid of the commercials in the internet and it'll be better than t.v. and we could junk the t.v. since all it is, is one great big stupid commercial after another...selling tampons, alcohol, drugs, junk food, sleezy attitudes, ugly music, grotesque styles...

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
yeah and there'll be some think new soon

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Will it all mean that a dead man owns everything eventually, and a few of his spoiled and stupid children? Since corporations have eternal legal life, and all the constitutional rights real people seem to be missing, computers could have the power to spread unlimited unthinking misery based on the next quarterly report.

Computers based on corporate profit could raise monopoly prices at will, impoverishing many people, and paying them as little as the market will bear. Outsourcing will increase until the computer industry sets a standard and totally automates everything, seeking greed even beyond current low pay overseas. The only jobs that exist will be Mc Burgers even their own employees can no longer afford as Mc Robo Burgers overtake the market.

A burgeoning prison industry will also become automated, taking away even the remaining good paying jobs as guards.

G-8 robots will hold Bilderburger meetings, while ultra robo cop mows down protesting grannys, since you guessed it his subordinate robo anarchist overturns a few prop cars. Yup cheap is the word of the day.

One last holdout SAS get bulldozed, the last place anyone is paid decently.

Our President is no longer a puppet for the elite, his is an actual android taking instructions directly.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In the long run hackers are really irrelevant. They are half of the IT Security equation, and in reality are just as valueable to the field as the security people are. Without a threat in the wild, why would people bother to secure and improve things, those pimply faced 16 year olds out there are what keeps IT people busy, gives them something to do and a reason to improve things. That bit aside, AI is also not a real threat I think. Yes Deep Blue beat Kasprov, but not by any real intelligence, rather just because the machine knew every possible move Kasprov could possibly make, and be ahead of him always. The thing about AI is its only as smart as the person making it. Machines will never be able to have a 6th sense like humans can develop about certain situations, nor do they have gut instincts.

If we had to revert back to a simpler way of living, it would probably be better off for humanity as a whole. We are a lazy and lame society that doesnt actually know how to do anything for ourselves. Heavens forbid someone had to catch, kill or grow their dinner rather than pop it into the microwave and plop down in front of the television to enjoy a few thouthtless hours. Yeah some people would die, but the final result would be a much stronger, healthier and overall better society and world.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Computers are just a tool and while they will be everywhere in the world they are a long way away from having the ability of taking over the world.

While the closest and only way for a hacker to sabatage multiple computers to take down infrastructers such as power plants, sewer plants, communication facilities & water distribution facilities would be with a virus or worm that disabled the O/S in some fashion as we've seen. I think plant managers know that now & I suspect that most will have to have to have the systems that control actual physical operations such as valves & switches be completely cut off from the outside world. For office operations of the facilities they would have a seperate system, which would be vunerable, but since it only means they can't print that report today it's only a headache for those working there, & not the rest of us.

Physical security is always the best and with computers everthing is sort of remote controled, even modern aircraft surface control systems are remotely controlled by the pilots via computer, so they secure the cockpits the only location possible for control of the aircraft - another words the computer system is physically isolated from control outside of the cockpit. Plant mangers need to take that same approach and quit doing internet browsing, email & VPN of systems that open & close valves etc.

No doubt one system or two could be taken out by a hacker or group of hackers or terrorist, but take over the world nope.

I'd be more worried about some kind of solar flare that knocks out all systems than a hacker or rouge governments employing hackers.

Right now were probably the most vulnerable, but that will change in time.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by outsider]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Everybody talk about computers taking over us but anybody had any idea if the goverment is taking over us through computers? After all the idea is to have computers in every household in US. that is what this administration is promising. This is just a question, I can not live without my internet connection and my E-mails.

new topics

top topics

join