It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlaine Harris' - TrueBlood books....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I got into the tv show on HBO, and my wife was reading the books. I picked one up, and they've since all been great reads.

She's one of those authors where you start reading it, and just don't want to put it down (and no "sparkling" vampires, hehe....)

The TV show provides a nice visual of everything to have in mind while reading the book (and yes, the books are very different in storyline than the show)...

Anyone else read these? (I'm on the last book, so don't tell me anything regarding that one)....

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I haven't read the books but they came up in a conversation I had the other day. My step-neice is reading them. My step-sister, who works in an executive position for the Mormon Church told me that the author is a Mormon and as such, the Church considers her books as recommended reading for the teenage members. As I have neither watched the series or read the books I am not sure whether that is of any interest, but it seemed coincidental enough to warrant sharing.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i have not read these...but i have several friends who do and they gave it rave reviews...they couldn't shut up about it for a few days.

and i find it a bit funny that the Mormons have it as suggested reading...ive seen an episode or two with my girlfriend and they are kinda racey

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I got the first book after being obsessed with the show but started reading other things, so am yet to read the whole book, but i'm sure I will read through soon, anything about vampires gets me excited!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The show is a bit racier than the books. Sure, there are racy parts to the books, but not nearly the percentage as in the show (and rightfully so, two completely different mediums)...

Also, there are some plot differences, though it adheres more closely than some other vamp shows...

It started off as just needing something to read, and my wife had it, so I grabbed it to pass the time while eating lunch...but they are nearly as hooking as the Harry Potter books were...

I still haven't read the "Twilight" books though...I just can't take day-walkin' vampires...(without that weakness, we'd all be bloodbags or human cattle for such a creature....moronic premise of "sparkling"). Same with Vampire Diaries...seems these two brothers could take over the world with their rings that let them walk around in daylight...(or at least I'd be slaying any other vampire, and be el numero uno vamp)...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Ya know, I thought the same thing myself, but once I just went ahead and read/watched it I cared alot less than I thought I would!

It's just the whole vampire romance thing, not to sound like a girl,but the idea just sucks me in! I'm glad I gave it a go anyway, though I know it's not to everyone's taste!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by shamhat

Are you sure? Wikipedia says she is an episcopalian.

You might be thinking of Stephanie Meyer, who wrote the Twilight series; she is a Mormon. I'm also not aware of the church ever publicly endorsing any fiction books, and I'm a Mormon, so I probably would have heard it if they had. (I can think of some nonfiction books they have endorsed, usually religious works by Mormon authors, though)

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Big difference between recommended reading for teens, and an official endorsement....

Charlaine is Episcopalian. Meyer is the Mormon...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I watched the show so I started to read the books. I am on the third book right now and am loving it so far! I'm also a twilight fan-but I'm a girl and read that for the 'romance'. I read Sookie Stackhouse novels for the intense and exciting storyline and character growth. Two very different books with two very different appeals really.

I am liking how the book is very different than the show.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I still haven't finished the books, shocking I know i'll use this thread as a reminder! I'm still waiting on series 2 over here

[edit on 23-2-2010 by valiant]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
I still haven't finished the books, shocking I know i'll use this thread as a reminder! I'm still waiting on series 2 over here

[edit on 23-2-2010 by valiant]

get on it!!

hehe

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

Hah I will I swear, like I say i'm a sucker for vampire romance! usually has me fixated

Not seen you around much Zerra, good to see you about!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
reply to post by Zerra

Hah I will I swear, like I say i'm a sucker for vampire romance! usually has me fixated

Not seen you around much Zerra, good to see you about!

Thank you. It's been so busy lately. I am looking forward to the summer..though I supose even if school is over I have to start work and placement. haha..never ends. Those books are a very nice escape lol

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

Hah, busy busy

I shall do some escaping of my own soon enough, I just always have something else that pops up and then I forget :shk: goldfish memory!

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Seemed to me like the last book was a bit rushed, and less cohesive than her usual...but still good though.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Quick note, the new novel is now out. My wife already read it, said it was much better than the last one...
My turn to read it now...

new topics

top topics

join