It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam orders Russian submarines, fighter jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted an unnamed Defense Ministry official as saying Russia will sell Vietnam six diesel-electric "Project 636" Varshavyanka submarines for a total of $2 billion. The submarines are also known by their NATO nickname, "Kilos."

Interfax also quoted an unidentified Russian official as saying that Vietnam would purchase 12 more Sukhoi Su-30MK2 fighter jets for $600 million, in addition to eight others it has already ordered.

Several Vietnamese lawmakers have recently called for the modernization of Vietnam's modest navy. The deal comes amid rising tensions between Vietnam and China over the Spratly and Paracel islands in the South China Sea.

Vietnam also invited Russia to help build its first nuclear power plant, the Web site said, providing no further details. Vietnam hopes to begin construction of the plant in 2014 and put it on line by 2020.

Vietnamese officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday
Russian Defense Ministry officials could not be reached Wednesday for comment on the report

Intresting bit of information here... You dont see Veitnam in the news a whole lot. and i had no idea them and china had a spat over these islands either.. just another hot spot for us to keep an eye on.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Do you have a link to that source?

That is interesting. The Spratly's have been sensitive spots for some little while.

It'll be interesting to see who we back, or if we back anyone, in this situation...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
my bad, i didnt realize i hadnt posted a link, so sorry

www.google.com...
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.upi.com...
world.globaltimes.cn...

bbc link gives a map of the rival claims...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
China and Vietnam have historically been at odds. At one point China colonized much of modern Vietnam (were talking in like Ancient and Medieval times) and then of course we have the Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979 where the Vietnamese trounced the invading Chinese.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Seems no matter which way you turn, countries are preparing themselves for a possible showdown over resources. Oil and Gas in this case.

Let the games begin.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I can just see it now... I want'a fouer Fightor Planez wit Bombz and throw in some Norway Lightz on da side. You know... dat missile that doez the blue light!

And now here's a word from our sponsor...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/938d625ce782.gif[/atsimg]

MHO... The state that the world is in... War business is going to go through the roof. Countries that are in power are going to sell everything they can to make up for their losses... and the small countries are going to buy while everything is on sale to protect their @sses when the S*** Hits the Fan.

Kind of like the guns that are being sold here in the US.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed . IMO this is a situation worth watching because as the worlds natural resources become less accessible due to global instability seemingly worthless bits of worthless real estate will suddenly become of great strategic value . I should make it clear to the reader that this next bit is just my thought process rather then a concrete prediction. Bizarrely the US and maybe even Australia could conceivable fight alongside Vietnam against China in a future conflict . Gee I wonder what Vietnam vets would make of that .

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Gee I wonder what Vietnam vets would make of that .

Especially ironic considering that alot of the upper echelon on the US military is made up of Vietnam era veterans!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
As nations such as Vietnam develop, it is only logical for them to upgrade and procure new military equipment. 20 aircraft is by no means very significant, either.

[edit on 17/12/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
As nations such as Vietnam develop, it is only logical for them to upgrade and procure new military equipment. 20 aircraft is by no means very significant, either.

A very valid point . I wouldn't expect China to fight Vietnam over the islands unless they have exhausted Africa's supply of natural resources which they are buying up left right and centre .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Vietnam is now part of the W.T.O. I would 'expect' them to have to buy some weapons. It's big business remember.

China is one of the biggest investors in Vietnam, I would not expect there to be any war between them.

For the record, I live in Vietnam.

I would be more concerned about the new 'relationship' between the Holy See and the Party.

The times are a changing!

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

You're probably right. You certainly would be in the position to know more about it than I...

It does, in retrospect, seem unlikely that they would fight over something that negotiations can get the same thing peacefully...but where humans are involved, who knows?

new topics

top topics

join