It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate rejects low-cost drug imports

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Senate rejects low-cost drug imports

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - The Senate rejected a plan Tuesday to allow Americans to import low-cost prescriptions from abroad, handing drug makers a victory that may help secure passage of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

The vote on the amendment by Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., was 51-48 in favor, but 60 votes were needed to prevail under a special rule. Obama had supported the measure as a senator, but his administration echoed safety concerns raised by the pharmaceutical industry
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This amendment has been brought up for the last ten years, and each year, the Pharmaceutical Lobby has managed to buy enough votes to prevent its passage. The bill had bi-partisan support, but the drug lobby won again for the 10th year.

Opponents use the excuse that the drugs are not shown to be safe, but these are the SAME exact drugs that the drug companies sell to us.

The drug companies, not satisfied that they had bought enough votes, threatened BLACKMAIL:

"Drug makers like Pfizer say they would reduce their shipments of drugs to distributors in Canada and other countries that re-export to the United States. ''We are not going to supply drugs to diverters, in Canada or elsewhere,'' said Hank McKinnell, chairman and chief executive of Pfizer."
from swampland.blogs.time.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-12-2009 by ProfEmeritus]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I was reading this and was disgusted earlier. It seems anything that will actually help to cut down costs has been excised from this bill. The only thing they seem adamant on is that they mandate it.

I'm having a hard time finding anything worthy about this "health" bill in any way. As far as I can tell it's just a money mover from us the public, to the insurance companies and of course the government.

When the republicans didn't filibuster it was obvious they're all just playing us.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I'm having a hard time finding anything worthy about this "health" bill in any way. As far as I can tell it's just a money mover from us the public, to the insurance companies and of course the government.

The only thing worthy of this bill is a bonfire. The 2,500 pages would heat hundreds of homes for the winter.

The Republicans won't be able to filibuster, because the cloture vote requires 60 votes, and with Lieberman now agreeing to vote for the bill, they will be able to garner the 60 votes for cloture, to end any filibuster. The last hope of killing this bill died with Lieberman agreeing to vote for the bill, and for cloture.

Regardless, Obama has promised the House Dem leaders that things that they couldn't get in their bill, will be put back in, when the joint committee goes through the reconciliation process.

The public be damned. We have basically had the democratic process destroyed. Very few elected officials even bother to CARE what the public wants. When you have two crooks running against each other in an election, all you know is that you lose no matter who you vote for.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I agree, I just expected a better attempt at slowing this down, it's like they're not really trying.

The worst part about this is even though many of us are of different parts of the political spectrum this bill does nothing to represent any of us. From the most "liberal" to the die hard conservative, this bill isn't going to make many of us happy.

I don't know anyone in my daily life who supports it, and have only seen two people on ats defend it.

edit to add: On point of the topic, and sorry I skirted it, this bill does help the medical industry and pharmaceuticals. The fact that the same drugs fro the same people are cheaper right next door tells us that it's just a money game.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I don't know anyone in my daily life who supports it,

That makes two of us. The fact that a drug company can threaten NOT to sell more drugs to nations that will export them to the US, is an open admission that they are shafting us royally with the prices. I watched the debate on CSPAN today regarding this amendment, which by the way, was co-sponsored by John McCain and several Democrats. They showed a chart for NEXIUM, which stated that the drug costs over $400 for a consumer in the US, but only $30 or so, in many other countries. No other country on the chart was even over $90 for NEXIUM.

There is no QUESTION in my mind that the drug companies CONTROLS health care in this country, along with the insurance companies.
So much for Democracy.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
from op's source

approved drugs from Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan — placing them within reach of average consumers.

Dang, you would have thought they turned it down because the drugs would be from 3rd world countries.

Hard to believe the US can't trust the import of medication from the countries above.

If I was from one of those countries, I would see it as a slap in the face.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

They showed a chart for NEXIUM, which stated that the drug costs over $400 for a consumer in the US, but only $30 or so, in many other countries. No other country on the chart was even over $90 for NEXIUM

Prilosec, made by the same manufacturer is virtually the same medication. The fact that it was going to be open to generic lead them to simply alter it's base slightly enough to re patent it and sell it at high dollar, ie nexium.

This is another good way to point out how they control the market and the pricing.

Hard to believe the US can't trust the import of medication from the countries above. If I was from one of those countries, I would see it as a slap in the face.

The sad thing here is it's the same manufacturers. We're not talking about some third world knock off, it's the exact same medications.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
All I can say is the very powerful drug lobby wins. We loose.. no shock here...

Did anyone expect less

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Dang, you would have thought they turned it down because the drugs would be from 3rd world countries

England has allowed drug re-importation for 20 years now, and they have had no problem with safety of the drugs. That issue is just another scare tactic of the drug companies and their minions, Congress.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Why was Senator Obama all for allowing us to buy our medications
cheaper, while President Obama is against it? If the drugs were not
safe, people in Canada and other industrialized countries would be
getting sick from them. But that's just not happening.

I'm really becoming disappointed by the flip-flops our President
is making in his very first year. By the time his 4 years are up
Obama won't even be recognizable as the champion of and for the
people like he was during the Presidential campaign.

It pains me to see his popularity slipping down to near Bush levels,
but as of tonight, I'm starting to understand why. What a let down.

-cwm

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Behold:

Akaka (D-HI)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bennett (R-UT)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Burris (D-IL)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Cochran (R-MS)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagan (D-NC)
Hatch (R-UT)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Inouye (D-HI)
Isakson (R-GA)
Kaufman (D-DE)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kirk (D-MA)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lugar (R-IN)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Tester (D-MT)
Udall (D-CO)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (D-VA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

These are all representatives who voted against the bill. I will be adding these to those who voted for the bailouts as corrupt enemies of the country. I hope others will do the same.

Bought by the pharmaceutical industry. And for sure no media outlet will make a big deal about this, not wanting to tick off the sponsorship from drug commercials.

[edit on 12/15/2009 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Actually there is two people that could hold up the bill. Ben Nelson, might want to sit down when you read that link, and Burris, he is saying that he won't vote for a pill unless it has the public option.

So the filibuster might be dead, but that doesn't mean they have the votes for cloture. And this brings up another point, nothing in this bill is going to reduce cost. I don't understand how they can increase the size of government and say it will save us money. We still end up paying more the only thing that changes is who gets the money.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Once again we get the shaft.

I wonder if we can sue them for allowing the continued rape of our wallets?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

this should be absolutely NO surprise ...... Someone please tell me WHO in say the last 20 years has in politics not lied... and or flip flopped on promises.

Which also explains the economy down turn and increase in greed for the same 20 years.

you get what you voted for.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What we are getting from Health care bill is nothing short of a joke a hoax and an unconstitutional bill.

The public option is death, killed by the pimps lobbyist buying our whores in congress.

Now they will get away with having a stream of tax payer mandate by force health insurances with tax payer paid subsidies all at the expenses of the dying middle and working class in the nation.

Then they dare to have also pharma completely control on the prices of drugs.

When does people are going to wake up to the corruption of what is going on in this nation.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
So in the end "overhauling healthcare for everyone" will mean keeping costs high and forcing people by gunpoint and threat of prison to buy into mandatory insurance (when things are mandated you lose choice and price always goes up and quality always goes down).

It's gone from pie-in-the-sky ridiculous with "free healthcare for all" crap to being blatantly about nothing more than government control and global corporatism openly admitting that cost will skyrocket and no more people will be covered than are now.

Does even the staunchest Obamabot still support whats going on?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
BAH! I'm not the least bit suprised. These crooks are all bought and paid for by big pharma. It should be apparent now who these crooks work for. Hint: It AIN'T you and me!!!

I'll say it again and again and again - the Tree of Liberty is dying of thirst!

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Another health care thread, another huge letdown.

This bill has lost everything I was hoping for. No public option, no medicare buy-in.

It's a disaster, I was hoping, hoping for something. Now there's even some word that this bill won't go through reconciliation (which I didn't even know could happen) and the Senate version will go straight to the Pres.

I've been trying to get as much information as I can to find something in this bill I can support but so far I've had no luck at all.

I'm afraid Dean's right, kill the whole thing and start over.
abcnews.go.com...

I'm disgusted. I'm usually just skeptical, not cynical, but this thing is really killing me. My family could really use a public option, or at least a medicare buy-in, so don't get me started on Lieberman. UGH.

But hey I still got crazy Bernie Sanders fighting for the little guy...
politics.theatlantic.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kenochs

The "medicare buy-in" thing is a fun concept.

I mean, arent I "buying-in" every week? At least there's a number removed from my pay and claimed to be put into it.

To "buy-in" I'd have to pay more for something I'm already paying for and not using?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join