It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20,000 evacuated as Philippine volcano oozes lava

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

20,000 evacuated as Philippine volcano oozes lava

www.usatoday.com

Dark orange lava fragments glowed in the dark as they trickled down the mountain slope overnight. Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, said the activity could get worse in coming days.

"It's already erupting," Solidum told the Associated Press.

More than 20,000 people were evacuated to safety by nightfall Tuesday, said Gov. Joey Salceda of Albay province, where Mayon is located about 210 miles southeast of Manila.

The first of 20 vehicles, including army trucks, were sent to villages to take residents to schools and other temporary housing
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What are the chances of this being a big one down the road? I have seen earthquakes in the Philippines area on equake a lot. Could this be a warning of thins to come?

Just look at the size of this thing!

It is currently on an Alert level 3. I don't know much about the alerts though, so if someone could tell me more about them, that would be great.

49 Eruptions in the last 400 years

"August 9, 2006: Volcanologists warned that Mount Mayon could explode at any time but that the gravitational pull of a full moon could provide the final push."

en.wikipedia.org...

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

What are the chances of this being a big one down the road? I have seen earthquakes in the Philippines area on equake a lot. Could this be a warning of thins to come?

Just look at the size of this thing!

Regarding what's to come, if there have been 49 eruptions in the last 400 years, my first guess of what's to come will me 49 eruptions in the next 400 years, maybe one of them will happen soon.

Mt Pinatubo was quite spectacular so the Philippines is capable of some large volcanic activity. And Mt St. Helens taught us sometimes the damage is worse than people expected.

join