It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd-grader sent home for crucifix drawing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Dad says teacher became upset when boy drew himself on a cross

TAUNTON, Mass. - An 8-year-old boy was sent home from school and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation after he was asked to make a Christmas drawing and came up with what appeared to be a stick figure of Jesus on a cross, the child's father said Tuesday.

Read the rest of the story here:

www.msnbc.msn.com...
------------------

This sounds like the time one of my older brothers drew a picture of Santa coming down the chimney while the fire place was lit. They tried to suspend him and order an evaluation. But anyway, what are your opinions about this story?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

My opinion is that as our traditional societal norms continue to lose sway over generation after generation of modern youth - and sadly as a result of the occasional acts of violence the now adrift youth of our nation perpetrate - the status quo is desperate to try to re-establish some sense of control and normalcy.

This desperation on the part of the dying paradigm and those contractually forced to represent it (in this case a teacher) causes them to do idiotic things such as this.

Perhaps the school would have preferred a picture of Jesus dancing with Ronald McDonald, after all it would be more representative of the quality of education in our nation and those who fund it and everything else.

My 2cents anyway. Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I believe that the school went way too far in their actions. The teacher did ask for the students to draw something that would remind them of Christmas, and the student did. (Personally I think it would have been a better Easter drawing). I saw nothing wrong with it. The child drew what he was taught about the season, and from what I could understand about his family in the report, they are religious. They even stated they went to a seasonal exhibit.
I think with the world going too PC, it was a case of extreme caution on the part of the teacher.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I would have this teacher evaluated for psychological problems.

That is one of the most normal and popular Christmas scenes on earth. Anyone who thinks it is not normal for a child to think of Jesus on a Cross at Christmas is just plain bonkers.

Oh No.. here comes The Church Lady - Teacher who do you worship ? Let me guess...could it be SATAN!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think some of you are missing the point. This isn't about being PC, this isn't about race (as the father seems to think). It's about this:

Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross.

That, plus the X's for eyes.

Also:

The boy was cleared to return to school on Dec. 7 after the evaluation found nothing to indicate that he posed a threat to himself or others.

Drawing yourself dead or in pain is one of those red flags for teachers. Because it CAN mean that the kid is suicidal. It can mean he's being abused. It can mean that he's got an excessive amount of guilt about something. Yes, there might be nothing at all behind it - but then again, there might be. The teacher absolutely dd the right thing, and should be commended for this.

Hopefully the media attention won't dissuade her from doing the same in the future.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I don't see what is wrong with X's for eyes.

You see this in cartoons all the time indicating that the person or creature is unconscious. Maybe there are stars above his/its head.

I think the teacher could have handled the matter with some finesse.
Her reaction and then sending the boy home is all wrong.
Shouldn't teachers of young children be prepared for almost anything?
She should have continued her day and then called the boy's parents about her concerns.

OP your brother drawing Santa coming down the fireplace with the fire going shouldn't get anyone exiced either. After all this majical Santa has a sleigh and reindeer that fly, and he sqeezed his fat body and that sack of toys into the chiminy....so what's a little fire going to do? I don't recall any Santa stories that made a point to put the fire out on Xmas Eve to accomodate, do you?

[edit on 15-12-2009 by OhZone]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
if it were an easter assignment would the boy have gotten an A+???

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Honestly? It sounds more like the kid had few reference points for his drawing. He WANTED to draw a crucifix, and probably used himself because that's the point of reference he had.

I have had quite enough of this 'over the top' holiday news- where a teacher has an issue with something, or a student has issues with a teacher over something that happens ONCE. A. YEAR. It's gone from a holiday season to 'offend me the slightest, and I'll cut you' season.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Nope Not missing the point..

The sub headline is the only place in this story that says the boy drew himself on this cross. It is Not in the article.. The article maintains that it was Jesus on the cross. Even in the video the father says it was Jesus and not his Son depicted in the picture. In the video the father does not say anything about race.

The only one making a race issue out of this is the editor of the story. This is a common tactic for newspapers to twist the headline to make people read the story.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

What if instead of a crucifix, the boy had drawn a picture of the dead corpse of a man who had been visciously murdered? Would that have concerned anyone?

But wait...isn't that what he did?

Context is everything.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by vox2442

Nope Not missing the point..

The sub headline is the only place in this story that says the boy drew himself on this cross. It is Not in the article..

The sub headline says:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Dad says teacher became upset when boy drew himself on a cross

The article says:

Johnson said the teacher became upset when his son said he drew himself on the cross.

Why would you say it's not in the article?

The only one making a race issue out of this is the editor of the story. This is a common tactic for newspapers to twist the headline to make people read the story.

The story says:

Johnson, who is black, told WBZ he suspects racism is involved. He said he thinks the school overreacted and wants an apology.

Well if Johnson really said that and they reported what he said, does that really make it the editor's fault? Are you suggesting it's the editor's job to decide that when someone makes a claim of racism the editor should never include that in the article? I don't follow your point?

In this case we really have too many "facts" second hand so I'm not sure exactly what happened. But if the school has a policy which required teachers to flag certain behaviors as potential indicators of suicidal thoughts, and if the teacher followed that policy, then I don't see how the teacher is at fault.

Part of the controversy is whether the child actually said he drew Jesus, or drew himself. If it was Jesus, then nothing should have been done. If he said that was himself on the cross, then maybe the school acted appropriately based on an apparent drawing of self-death.

If my child had suicidal thoughts, and a teacher picked up on that somehow, I would rather have them err a little on the side of caution than to have them ignore the signs and find my child dead.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think the teacher over-reacted

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

well your right.. i guess I missed it while skimming...

[edit on 16-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If it was a stick figure how could they even tell who it was? Stick figures are a far cry from a detailed drawing.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I guess free expression and artistic minds are now to be condemn as altered and trouble behavior.

This is very interesting, you know back in the days they will call the parents and sit down with the student to see if is was something bothering the child in some way.

Now the child is tag "trouble, mentally unstable" children are not longer allowed to be mischievous and their minds can not be allowed to run free.

What a joke.

I guess he needs antidepressant drugs for life so he doesn't become a problem to "others".

Remember people, starting with the children will result in a more manipulated society in the future, don't think, don't talk, don't complain just a be darn zombie.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Perfect example of why my child will never attend a public indoctrina... er, school. This is pure PC BS!
The teacher should be put on leave until she completes a full psychiatric evaluation. Clearly something is very, very wrong with her.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think this is the important part of the story:

The school district on Tuesday was rebutting the father's claims. The Taunton School District said in a written statement that the second-grade student was never suspended over the drawing. It also said a drawing circulated to reporters by the boy's father, Chester Johnson, is not the same one that was discovered by the teacher.

Everyone so quick to jump to this kid's defense...all the while, we only know half the story...the father's half. So, was he suspended or wasn't he? So was the drawing the father showed the media the same one or isn't it?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Seems unlikely, don't you think?

Christmas is, like it or not, a religious holiday of some importance to a vast number of peoples all over the world. Whether it's called Christmas or something else entirely...it has great significance to many, christian or otherwise.

I have a good friend who is a "born again" pagan (and, no, I've no idea what that means, either...), and the Solstice is very important to her.

Yet secular humanists, god love 'em, are of the mind that anyone who celebrates any religious holiday are in need of a "mental health evaluation...

Phoooey...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
We know who really needs the psychiatric evaluation. Maybe if they crucified the school administration they would be more understanding.
This is a clear infringement on the child's freedom of both speech and religion. One more slap in the face to christians in America (not saying that I'm one). Amazing how bloody and violent tv & movies are fine but this isn't. We'll get what we deserve one day and it won't be pretty.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm still searching for articles pertaining to the story and the "other" pic that school officials say is the real one. However, I must say on the surface I don't see how race was involved in this. While I do appreciate teachers looking out for the mental health of students/children, I believe this teacher (and school admins) could have solved this another way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join