It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Free Fast Downloading" scam

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i will just repeat what has already been suggested by others before me:

get a free antivirus (AVG, Avast, Avira, etc)

get a free firewall (i use comodo)

get a torrent client (bittorrent, utorrent, etc)

tip: type torrentz in the address bar of your browser

if you don't feel comfortable downloading torrents, (then my girl has more guts than you do) download your games from free abandonware.

lastly, move this thread to the appropriate forum. you'll find more people willing to help you out and offer advice if this was posted on computer help on BTS.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Thanks for the link! I have never cloned a hard disk in the past so I am not aware of how its done. As soon as I get a chance I will attempt it in the future because I already have had plenty of problems in the past with virii and spyware/adware hijackers.

So far I am using about 30 gigs of space, does that mean I need 6-7 dvds to copy everything or does cloning mean just the operating system?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidLight

screw that. P2P and search for what you want. you only need about 1 percent to see if it is what it says it is. torrents you cannot preview it while downloading.

Download multiple copies at first. to filter out the fakes. and get the best quality

Frostwire+Divx player. Search for what ever AVI you want. make sure that it is between 600mb-900mb. download in 4hours. convert and burn to DVD in 1 hour. save converted version to external hard drive delete old file. rUn ccleaner.

also download though a proxy..

[edit on 16-12-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

enable your computer to make restore points. while they may not get rid of virus. it will allow you to do a complete scan. or if its really messed up a total system restore.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I use Firefox and an add-on called downloadhelper.....using certain streaming sites, I can get a 700mb avi in an hour !!
And top quality...Ive only got 2meg broadband

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chupa-chups

u2u me pls

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It will copy everything.. make an exact copy of your entire drive.. But be careful. Only l use the default options.. there is an option that lets you make a copy with all the "extra space on the drive" It mirrors your hard drive exactly and will take as much space on dvd's as your hard drive has. You do Not want or need this option.

My best advice is get your drive as clean as possible first.. set it up just like you want everything. Next defrag your drive with your favorite defragger. I like PerfectDisk 10 myself. Lastly you can clone the drive.

The application will use compression so you can fit a lot on each dvd.. more than normally.. for instance you may be able to put 8 gigs of compressed data on 1 dvd before it's full and the program asks you to insert another DVD. I do not know if there is any easy way to tell how much you can fit on each dvd because different file types comperes differently.

I would recommend you do start with a new stack of dvd's just in case.. but you wont need them all trust me. Perhaps there is something on the website that tells ho much is generally compressed on a DVD. i will look into this.. but this company does boast that they have the best compression on the market.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
The "fast download" scam seems to be one of the biggest internet advertising scams. There are legitimate downloading servers if you know where to look but there are also many that say "fast free download here" and once you go there you get "you must register or login to download". So I register thinking its "free" giving my name, email address and home address then step two is "what type of account?" meaning you must PURCHASE/SET UP an account to proceed. I choose the "7-day limited trial" pay my $4 only to find out later I paid $12 because they gave me "extra software" I didn't even ask for! Then I try downloading and find out its torrent dowloading instead of direct downloading... I mean really where does the crap end? I send them email and no reply.

so you knew it was a downloading scam but you paid for it anyway? maybe you wont do it next time.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

If your going to be an insulting idiot, then better not to post anything!

Do you never take chances in your life, especially when there is very little to lose? I lost $12, so what..big deal! I started the thread to point out deceptive advertising and how prevalent it is on the internet. That was the point, nothing more and nothing less.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

...And instead you just pointed out how easy it is to misunderstand carefully worded advertising statements.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Sorry bud havent posted enough yet to u2u !!!
If you need private info you can email [email protected]
or ask away

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join