It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Free Fast Downloading" scam

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Dude, why do you need a FAST DOWNLOAD to get old games from the 90s? With rare exceptions that can get to 200mb, which today is not something a would call a big download, most are very small.

When searching for old games, try to search for Abandonware websites. A good place to start is:
homeoftheunderdogs.net...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I was looking for legal download (government manual)one time and what i wanted was listed on torrentreactor.net it turned out to be one of those scam sites.

Funny part was a friend had payed to download one that he wanted and they had listed turned out they had listed a lot of government manuals that they never had for downloading.
They run under a lot of torrent site names and can be spotted because there format is the same for all there site.

Beware they list a lot of downloads that they do not have and some are just made up.
or others are just reprints of government manuals like i was looking for that have no copyright and are legal to down load

If you keep getting there sites keep trying and sometimes you get lucky and find a real free download site.
But it takes time because these scam site have played games with Google and other search engines to get good search page placement

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Most old games and programs can be ran under compatibility mode (Vista/7).

No way man! I have at least 4 original games that used to work under xp and windows 98 and no way in hell do they work with vista. No support from the developer or microsoft. You might as well toss them in the recycle bin...

Microsoft promises reverse-compatibility but DOES NOT DELIVER! Even microsoft's virtual machine needs a special license to run, such as xp pro or vista pro. PATHETIC!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Are you familiar with DosBox(for most) or ScummVM(for lucasarts and some sierra games)?

They are emulating softwares specially developed with full compatibility as the main goal.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
The problem is you don't know who is crediblbe and who isn't till you get burned. I don't consider myself naive but decepting advertising has reached an all-time high and unless your extremely careful and experienced it is easy to fall victim.

From personal experience there are only 2-3 good download sites/servers, at least the ones I trust.

This is true.. that is why I only trust a few good sites myself. I never use torrents because they are so slow and I never use programs like limewire because they are full of virus downloads. The link I sent you is a good one. They are very strict about people posting bad stuff for download.

Just an aside:
If you get a lot of virus's with your downloading I have the best Solution. I do not use a firewall or a virus scanner program. They slow down downloads too. I use only one tool. I can get window crippled to the point it won't even boot and I will be up and running again like I was just before I got the virus within 5 minutes. It's called RollBack Rx - It works like your system restore only much better and is very configurable. You set a restore point before downloading a questionable file and if it turns out to be a virus you can recover instantly. This works because the program installs itself on a layer of your hard drive under windows and this super protected area is where the restore points are stored. On Boot-Up, even the most crippled windows can be restored instantly. Link: www.horizondatasys.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir

Are you familiar with DosBox(for most) or ScummVM(for lucasarts and some sierra games)?

They are emulating softwares specially developed with full compatibility as the main goal.

I downloaded it a few days ago but haven't installed it yet. I trying to figure out the best option as to emulator or multiple-boot. I hate to multiple boot because that requires disk formatting and new partitions plus I don't even have the old operating system disks anymore.

I tried to install virtual machine but it failed due to improper licensing.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Just an aside:
If you get a lot of virus's with your downloading I have the best Solution. I do not use a firewall or a virus scanner program. They slow down downloads too. I use only one tool. I can get window crippled to the point it won't even boot and I will be up and running again like I was just before I got the virus within 5 minutes. It's called RollBack Rx - It works like your system restore only much better and is very configurable. You set a restore point before downloading a questionable file and if it turns out to be a virus you can recover instantly. This works because the program installs itself on a layer of your hard drive under windows and this super protected area is where the restore points are stored. On Boot-Up, even the most crippled windows can be restored instantly. Link: www.horizondatasys.com...

The truth is I haven't had much troube with downloads till now. I stay up late on weekends just to download because during the day it is too busy/slow or no access at all.

As for no anti-virus I think that is not a good idea. Try Avast home edition which is free but do not go with norton or mccaffe. The last two are horribly slow and inaccurate. Even microsoft discourages their use.

As for windows restore no problem there...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I think your missing my point about the Rollback Rx. I use that in place of system restore and an anti virus program, because it can recover everything when virus hits. Windows system restore cannot do this as it is subject to corruption also.

Nothing can corrupt the Rollback Rx program because it is not installed in windows.

I used to use anti virus programs, I have tried almost everyone you can think of free or paid. They take tons of time to find the virus's and clean your system. Plus they do not always get all of the virus. Rollback solves all these problems and just takes a few minutes to recover.. it makes your computer way more secure than an anti virus program ever could due to the way it works.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
utorrent can be your friend. Isohunt is another possible friend.

Any torrent that is not commented on, do not download. Run your virus scanner if you do not trust the comments.

That is where I get all my software games movies tv books.

Once you go commercial free, you will never go back.

edit to add-forgot run PeerGuardian 2 while running utorrent it blocks all the known spy's sites.

have never received a letter from the ISP with Peer Guardian 2

[edit on 12/15/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yes, I like to use an older software image software called drive xml.

Hardly run any virus software for scanning, only blocking.

Get a problem, just run the software and it reinstalls the entire drive image in about 5 minutes. Brand new computer.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Yes, I like to use an older software image software called drive xml.

Hardly run any virus software for scanning, only blocking.

Get a problem, just run the software and it reinstalls the entire drive image in about 5 minutes. Brand new computer.

Ghosting or cloning a drive will work for protection too but its not practical for having to clone your drive before every download just to protect it.

With RollBack Rx if you just hit button to set a restore point before download. it will save the restore point, not on a seperate disk but in a layer of your hard drive under windows.

I used to use Norton Ghost. Now all I use is the free windows based Macrium Reflect - it's fast, clones with the best compression on the market ( better than paid for apps) and even works with windows 7.

It is easier to use than Drive XML for beginners too. I know.. I have tried just about every cloning tool out there.

I also liked Acronis but if all you need is a good fast clone Macrium Reflect Free Edition will do the trick.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

You can't blame windows if third party software from 20 years ago fails to run, do you really expect a company to spend time and money to be sure the 0.0001 percent of the population can still run their ancient games on their new OS?

But having said that I'm not sure how hard you tried, or what you did or not do, to run the games.

Why do people expect an OS to just do everything they think it should? Do you expect your new car to play your old 8-tracks? You have created your own desire to play these old games, not microsoft, so why should they take the blame?

New OS's are designed to run the newest latest software, not the oldest and saddest lol.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Why go through all that trouble when you can just stop the virus before it infects your comp?

A good anti-virus and firewall will not effect your download speeds at all.

Better yet get a router with a firewall and you never have to run software on the comp at all.

But really though people are a little too paranoid about viruses...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Why go through all that trouble when you can just stop the virus before it infects your comp?

A good anti-virus and firewall will not effect your download speeds at all.

Better yet get a router with a firewall and you never have to run software on the comp at all.

But really though people are a little too paranoid about viruses...

Been there an done that. The firewall in my router is crap. I download too many things from too many places for me to always have to configure a firewall to let in trusted things.. that becomes a hassle. Anti-virus software does not always catch everything and it does take a long time scanning your drive. Another hassle I cannot afford. Using Rollback Rx to quickly set restore points is a lot faster and more secure than both options.

Like I said, I have used firewalls and antivirus programs for years.. I have had computers since the early 90's. It takes much less time to restore a system with Rollback Rx than it does to run a anti virus scan. You ever have a virus or something else screw up your system that software programs like antivirus cannot fix? Well I have. Not any more.

Plus that is just another app I don't need running taking up memory. I only have 4 gigs of ram on this computer cus thats all the motherboard will work with and i need every bit I can squeeze out of it.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Thats why you use sights run by people and not corporations. Sites like TPB or send it directly through a server to someone else or retrieve it directly through a server.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

It takes seconds to scan a file, if you're too lazy to do the 'work' involved in getting the most from your computer, and the internet, then good luck to ya...

'The problems that you suffer from are the problems that you make...' Rimbaud

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I used to use Norton Ghost. Now all I use is the free windows based Macrium Reflect - it's fast, clones with the best compression on the market ( better than paid for apps) and even works with windows 7.

Macrium Reflect comes with windows? Is it easy to use?

You should use an anti-virus just the same. NOD 32 is said to be very light on system resources and also very efficient. I considered purchasing it but went with avast home because it is free and just as good.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You can't blame windows if third party software from 20 years ago fails to run, do you really expect a company to spend time and money to be sure the 0.0001 percent of the population can still run their ancient games on their new OS?

0.0001% of the population plays old games? You must be crazy!

Old games are just as good if not better than today's games. Only the graphics are inferior but the gameplay and excitement factor is still there.

But having said that I'm not sure how hard you tried, or what you did or not do, to run the games.

I shouldn't have to spend weeks to get my system compatible to play old games. One of the biggest problems with vista is that dos does not run in full screen.

Why do people expect an OS to just do everything they think it should? Do you expect your new car to play your old 8-tracks? You have created your own desire to play these old games, not microsoft, so why should they take the blame?

Because they promise reverse compatibility and fail to deliver. And its not just games that don't work, its all kinds of old software.

New OS's are designed to run the newest latest software, not the oldest and saddest lol.

Indeed and I can't afford spending $40-$50 per title. The whole thing is a scam/conspiracy between microsoft and software vendors to encourage high turnover.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Macrium Reflect comes with windows? Is it easy to use?

You should use an anti-virus just the same. NOD 32 is said to be very light on system resources and also very efficient. I considered purchasing it but went with avast home because it is free and just as good.

I meant that the program was windows based.. as opposed to some ghost or drive clone programs that was command line based. I really should have said it has a windows Graphical User Interface.

It is very easy to use and it's free. It has become my choice for ghosting hard drives to DVD. It works well with SATA drives as well as IDE. It is the Only free application of it's kind for windows that is a full version not a trial. Granted other paid for applications like this have a few extra features, but if you need a ghosting tool without the extra things this one works great. Marcium Reflect Free Edition: www.macrium.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Sorry I just don't agree. Software has to evolve and improve, and unfortunately that means some old software will become obsolete.
Should they sell cars with old style rims so you can still use solid tires?

But again how hard have you really tried to run those games? There are many options, including the basic 'run as' option. You're are being a little ridiculous saying it takes weeks to do.

Not running in full screen is usually a graphic driver problem, again not your OS. Try updating your graphic card drivers.

There is no false advertising, Vista does not claim it will run your old games, and usually it is a problem with the game not the OS. It's up to the game manufacturer to update their games, not Microsoft.

Like everything else in the world products are updated, upgraded, improved. Should Windows stay like w98 just to keep you happy? You live in, and I would guess support, a capitalist system? For capitalism to work people have to sell things, if they didn't update their software then they would go out of business fairly fast, as either people wouldn't need to buy the software anymore, or another company would make new better software. You can call it a scam, but then you would have to call capitalism itself a scam which I doubt you do?

(BTW I think capitalism is a scam to but for obviously different reasons)

What games is it you're trying to run anyway?

[edit on 12/16/2009 by ANOK]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join