It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Russian Scientists Field Test Geoengineering

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Russian Scientists Field Test Geoengineering


blogs.discovermagazine.com

Although so far it has received little or no attention, the journal Russian Meteorology and Hydrology recently published a new kind of geoengineering study whose lead author is the journal’s editor, the prominent Russian scientist Yuri A. Izrael. Known for his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol, his skepticism of human-caused global warming, and his enthusiasm for geoengineering, Izrael also happens to be a top scientific adviser to Vladimir Putin.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
www.springerlink.com
www.popsci.com
www.weather.com
news.discovery.com




posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I thought this was interesting given the timing of the article's release. First we had "ClimateGate", which was possibly hacked by the Russians, and then we had the apparent missile malfunction near Norway, which was executed by the Russians.

The interesting part of this study was the use of aerosols to block sunlight and effectively alter the Earth's climate (on an extremely small scale). Russian scientists released aerosols from the ground and air and then measured how effectively they blocked incoming sunlight. The experiment was effective in reducing sunlight exposed to the area.

Does this perhaps mean the Russians carried out a larger test using the Belava missile as a carrier for the aerosols? Maybe to show the world's leaders that they are able to effectively spread the aerosols in the atmosphere on much greater scales in order to alter the weather?

According to weather reports, Norway experienced a cold front the day following the supposed missile failure. Their average temperature peaked at 39 F on the 10th and then plummeted 10 degrees to 29 F on the 11th. After the 11th, temperatures fell consistently to 20 degrees below averages and aren't expected to recover until next Monday. It's interesting to note that the 10th, 11th, and 12th were very windy days and could have helped spread the aerosol around the country.

This is all very coincidental; however, I am not a scientist and I'm not going to make any outrageous claims. I'm just putting the information out there because I think the timing of everything is very convenient to the situation, and this is a conspiracy site, so here's some bits and pieces to add to the puzzle.


Links to the abstract published in the scientific journal, a supplementary article on the Russian experiments, the weather report for Norway in December, and the original article on the Norway Spiral included in Related Links.


blogs.discovermagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Avenginggecko]



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This might sound like a basic question here, but, What makes us so sure that geo-engineering is the correct course of action? I could see some really nasty repurcussions of pumping co2 into the ocean. The Limnic Eruption of Lake Nyos was the first thing that came to my mind when they talked about pumping CO2 Offshore.

en.wikipedia.org...



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield
 


Well I think everyone understands that physically messing with the climate is a risky venture. Most experiments with geoengineering are done using computer simulations and not field tests simply because messing with the climate can bring about some undesired consequences.

China has successfully altered the weather around Beijing. They seeded the clouds before the start of the Olympics to make sure that the skies were clear for the ceremony, and just last month they seeded them again to start a blizzard to bring moisture to the capitol.

Interestingly enough, they only used 400 cigarette sized sticks of silver iodide to get the job done. 400 sticks of silver = 1 blizzard that closed highways, delayed shipping, stopped flights, and brought heavy snow to the city.

Source



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So that's like saying; "Hey, I can easily effect the climate with small amounts of aerosols, but the tonnes and tonnes of greenhouse gases humans make on a large scale..... nope.. no effect."


That is ignorance at it's best.

The failed missile was just caused by a bent exhaust nozzle making the missile fly in a corkscrew spreading affluent in a spiral fashion.

There is no real link between the failed missile and your article. There is no reason for them to test such a thing from a submarine.



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Wow, just what we need: more aerosols in our lungs


Crazy, megalomaniac leaders influencing the weather when it's not our business to do so. We're supposed to adapt to natural changes not influence the weather with unproved, likely toxic substances.




posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
This might sound like a basic question here, but, What makes us so sure that geo-engineering is the correct course of action? I could see some really nasty repurcussions of pumping co2 into the ocean. The Limnic Eruption of Lake Nyos was the first thing that came to my mind when they talked about pumping CO2 Offshore.

en.wikipedia.org...


Totally agree , al you are doing is taking CO2 from one reservoire to another, with in ten years Earth will have stabled herself out anyway. What ever change you make in the carbon cycle it will alsways correct itself.



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
So that's like saying; "Hey, I can easily effect the climate with small amounts of aerosols, but the tonnes and tonnes of greenhouse gases humans make on a large scale..... nope.. no effect."


That is ignorance at it's best.


Okay first of all, I have never said people or our CO2 emissions, have no effect on the climate. I believe that we do have an effect on the Earth with our various emissions...so that point is moot with me.

Second, just because a government says one thing doesn't mean it's the truth, especially if it's a major power like Russia. Remember the mobile WMD factories in Iraq? Yeah, the Bush Administration was spot on with that one!


The failed missile was just caused by a bent exhaust nozzle making the missile fly in a corkscrew spreading affluent in a spiral fashion.


Or the missile was purposefully altered to corkscrew so it could effectively disburse the material over a wide area.


There is no real link between the failed missile and your article. There is no reason for them to test such a thing from a submarine


The experiment was tested on a small scale earlier in 2009 by Putin's science advisor who is a vocal critic of global warming. Russia hacks the CRU and releases the "damaging" emails. Copenhagen begins. Russia launches a missile that goes "awry" and sprays material all over Norway. Norway experiences a 10 degree drop within 24 hrs, and then 20 degrees within 48 hours. Incidentally, the wind was blowing from the NW, which could have easily blown the spray across the country.

Of course there's no "real link". That could only be provided by Russia releasing documentation that it was an experiment. There are, in my view, some coincidental factors that follow a pretty orderly timeline.

Like I said, could be coincidence, could be some artificial manipulating. I was just putting the information out there.



posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Okay first of all, I have never said people or our CO2 emissions, have no effect on the climate. I believe that we do have an effect on the Earth with our various emissions...so that point is moot with me.


I didn't say that in reply to you, I said it in reply to the article and the scientists view point:



Known for his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol, his skepticism of human-caused global warming, and his enthusiasm for geoengineering,


He is skeptical of human cause global warming, but he understands how easy humans can geoengineer the Earth.



Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Second, just because a government says one thing doesn't mean it's the truth, especially if it's a major power like Russia. Remember the mobile WMD factories in Iraq? Yeah, the Bush Administration was spot on with that one!


But I personally know what he says is true about aerosols, I don't need to believe him.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Or the missile was purposefully altered to corkscrew so it could effectively disburse the material over a wide area.


Not likely. Spraying aerosols in the upper atmosphere would only boil them because they are in direct sunlight and have no protection from the atmosphere.

There is much better, less expensive ways to disburse aerosols, and using a 3 stage Bulava missile from a submarine is not one of them.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
The experiment was tested on a small scale earlier in 2009 by Putin's science advisor who is a vocal critic of global warming.


Again, that is ironic. Small scale results, but large scale denial.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Russia hacks the CRU and releases the "damaging" emails.


Ive read about that, but it still hasn't been confirmed.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Copenhagen begins. Russia launches a missile that goes "awry" and sprays material all over Norway.


It doesn't spray material all over Norway, actual it wasn't even near Norway, it was several miles away, it was just visible from Norway.

The material was burned in the upper atmosphere, and plume trails were caused by the propellant of the missile, nothing else.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Norway experiences a 10 degree drop within 24 hrs, and then 20 degrees within 48 hours.


It snowed in Texas.... it's winter. I don't seen any connection to the missile besides it happening after a missile test. That is a stretch.



Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Incidentally, the wind was blowing from the NW, which could have easily blown the spray across the country.


Missile exhaust.... nothing more, nothing less.


Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Of course there's no "real link".


Yes I know. Of course.



Originally posted by Avenginggecko
That could only be provided by Russia releasing documentation that it was an experiment. There are, in my view, some coincidental factors that follow a pretty orderly timeline.

Like I said, could be coincidence, could be some artificial manipulating. I was just putting the information out there.


It's a good conspiracy theory, but it was created by a stretch of imagination, and non-existent coincidences. Just because things happen after another on a time line doesn't make them connected.



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join