It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National White History Month

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by Roadblockx

Henry Ford was a big supporter of Hitler's Germany. As were many other industrialists of the time. Just saying.

And where did you learn that? In school, in your own research or from someone else? The point is that you LEARNED it and while others may not know, you learned about it. Also it may have been a bad example.
Ok, how about Henry Taft? Grover Cleveland? Founder of Kodak? Wait, I think he was Japanese.... Anyways, try the other two. Maybe if there was a WHM, I would know more successful white americans from our past.

Just saying...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Well the "crusty old white men" who were making history weren't the ones who wrote the books. Professor John Doe who lives down the block and teaches at SuchANDSuch University is the one who wrote it, and he should not be allowed to publish a 'complete' history of America without including an in depth history of the people who were there before colonization, unless it's a post-colonial history book.

To put it through a different lens:
That's as crazy as (hypothetical) the government of a majority black city pretending like it was never inhabited by a majority white population one hundred years ago. It would be like Detroit saying it's always been a black city; 'the people before us didn't really count because you don't see them around too much anymore'. It would be eliminating an entire history of important influence in the city.

Well that's what happened with the Natives of our country.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
my only addition to this topic would be what is history? History is technically every thing that has happened in the past. There could be no one book of american history or any other kind of history. That's why history sections in book stores and library are huge. Knowing and understanding history is a lifetime's work and even then you wouldn't know all of it. As others have pointed out it is subject to interpretation as well.

I'm not a fan of singling out one month for this or that groups history in school systems and such... I would prefer to have it integrated throughout the calendar year.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by doublehelix]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

You already have a white history month. Actually it is about 10 months. It's called the Public Education System.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

What is really interesting is they are teaching Black kids the wrong history!

In recent black History commercials they list a bunch of black people and say they invented this and that. I searched a lot about these things and found that they were using lies and half truths.

For instance, a black man did not invent peanut butter as claimed. They are using this to say George Washington Carver invented peanut butter. Nothing could be further from the truth. George did experiments with peanuts yes. That's the extent of it. they like to say that he revolutionized the peanut industry. Uh.. No he didn't. He had a few ideas and patents but none of them were ever used for mainstream commercial production or harvesting of peanuts.

This is just one example from the commercial. The commercial list about 5 more out right lies at least.

I am all for Black people learning their history.. but please teach the truth and don't lie to the kids, you will make thing worse.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Now, recalling my own education, and maybe I was lucky in this aspect, when it came to history, the only time that there was a focus on black or women, was once in the 4th grade. The rest was more well rounded, focusing on the good and bad of the country. Yes the classes touched on alot of the different parts of the history of the country, and different peoples around the world, including something that are probably not taught in school these days, like some of the bad things that the United States did in years past. (Things like the nippon camps, met a person who grew up in one of them. Jim Crow laws, I personally know some people who lived in that time, and other things of that nature.)
When I was going to school, history was taught in blocks of time, rather than one straight course trying to get as much in as possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Interesting

I think the second poster was close, a History month for every major group...

MY IDEA

I would unbias the history curriculum...

BUT

I wouldn't get into the negativism of cultures at LEAST until late HS

I have had more than one Black friend confess to me they feel bad about the negative self image allot of White kids experience these days because the curriculum goes deep into slavery and deep into the Native situation in an attempt to be fair...

I think at usch a young age the History curriculum should lay low on these things the holocost too...allot of kids aren't ready in 3rd grade to sit down next to a balck kid for example together, hear these stories and not be emotionally affected...

I don't want to live in a world where bias and hate continues generation after generation because of this concept...

That concept being We teach History as WAR, Conquest, Suffering and Disaster

So what do we expect these kids to grow up and focus on?

I would teach... Migration and Agriculture and Cultural achievement and Lifestyle and Music and Economy and Origins and Art!!!!

Truth is 99% of History is not taught

All that is taught is the conflicts

For some reason getting into The Art of the Han Dynasty is taught in a 4th year University Class... not like it's any harder to learn... But the Tianamen Sq is Taught in 2nd grade like these kids really grasp it anyway...

History class is like a horror Movie... you get to memorize the deaths and battles over centuries and never hear about the food or the achievements or ...heck How about the people that Got ALONG? lol

Why don't we...

Save the death and destruction and hellion behavior for the College Level

And teach KIDS the good things about everyone????

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

What is really interesting is they are teaching Black kids the wrong history!

In recent black History commercials they list a bunch of black people and say they invented this and that. I searched a lot about these things and found that they were using lies and half truths.

For instance, a black man did not invent peanut butter as claimed. They are using this to say George Washington Carver invented peanut butter. Nothing could be further from the truth. George did experiments with peanuts yes. That's the extent of it. they like to say that he revolutionized the peanut industry. Uh.. No he didn't. He had a few ideas and patents but none of them were ever used for mainstream commercial production or harvesting of peanuts.

This is just one example from the commercial. The commercial list about 5 more out right lies at least.

I am all for Black people learning their history.. but please teach the truth and don't lie to the kids, you will make thing worse.

He seems pretty relevant to me, and someone to be rather proud of, as an American.

www.biography.com...

In 1914, at a time when the boll weevil had almost ruined cotton growers, Carver revealed his experiments to the public, and increasing numbers of the South's farmers began to turn to peanuts, sweet potatoes, and their derivatives for income. Much exhausted land was renewed, and the South became a major new supplier of agricultural products. When Carver arrived at Tuskegee in 1896, the peanut had not even been recognized as a crop, but within the next half century it became one of the six leading crops throughout the United States and, in the South, the second cash crop (after cotton) by 1940. In 1942 the U.S. government allotted 5,000,000 acres of peanuts to farmers. Carver's efforts had finally helped liberate the South from its excessive dependence on cotton.

Among Carver's many honours were his election to Britain's Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce (London) in 1916 and his receipt of the Spingarn Medal in 1923. Late in his career he declined an invitation to work for Thomas A. Edison at a salary of more than $100,000 a year. Presidents Calvin Coolidge and Franklin D. Roosevelt visited him, and his friends included Henry Ford and Mohandas K. Gandhi. Foreign governments requested his counsel on agricultural matters: Joseph Stalin, for example, in 1931 invited him to superintend cotton plantations in southern Russia and to make a tour of the Soviet Union, but Carver refused.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I think the second poster was close, a History month for every major group...

Some people have said that the White man in America is now a minority.

If this can be proven, then I am all for a White History Month.

skunknuts, I didn't say George Washington Carver was not relevant. I am sure black kids can learn lot from him. My point was the commercial was telling lies about the man.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Is it okay to have Black Entertainment Television(BET), but not WET?

Because most TV is predominately white. And BET is not exactly something i would hold up with pride if i was Black... i personally think it does more harm than good in many ways.

Is it okay to have Ebony Magazine but not Ivory?

Vogue
Cosmopolitan
Marie Claire
Elle
Lucky

All predominately white i believe.

Is it okay to have Black Hairstyles Magazine but not White Hairstyles?

Because most hairdressing magazines are aimed at European hair... most black people have different hair from white people so it makes sense to have their own magazine!

Is it okay to have Black Entertainer Magazine, but not another?

Again... most other magazines in this area are predominately white

Is it okay to have college courses designed for African American studies, but not another?

Its a shame that they just cant balance out history equally in the education system so that there would be no need for this type of segregation.

Why is it politically correct to call black people African Americans and another race is just white?

Don’t know the answer to that... to be honest it’s something I’ve never understood... in fact the whole race issue in America confuses me!

Why is it taboo to talk about the fact a majority of people in prison are black?

I didn’t think it was... I would guess that the reason more black people are in prison is due to a mixture of things. I do think that American black culture is providing too many negative stereotypes for young Black kids... and, from what I’ve read, Black poor areas outnumber white poor areas in America. I would also guess that you cannot just get rid of slavery and expect everyone to be on an equal footing even after 100 years. Don’t forget, Black people were still being hung from trees in the 50’s and 60’s and persecution still goes on in some areas to this day. Due to this, white people will have an historic and economic advantage.

For example... The average White person will have inherited wealth from their family’s... I know when my father passed away he left me some money. Not much but enough to give me a start in life. My Grandfather helped my father when he was a young man... Gave him some money towards his first home. Now if my Grandfather had been a freed slave... he would have had nothing... probably would have been illiterate, and would have struggled to find work. Therefore my father would not have had the best start in life and would not in the best position to later on help me.

Of course there are examples of people who, regardless of the odds against them, have been a success... but they are the lucky few. The white people in America were, and are largely still, the landowners.

Having said that i think Black people in America need to stop segregating themselves... it amazes me that after years of fighting for equality and to be recognised as true Americans... you then get whole communities who actually choose to isolate themselves.

I remember watching an American chat show once... and the issue being discussed was mixed race relationships. Out of the very mixed studio audience it was the Black people who were most vocal and against mixed relationships!

Just goes to show that racism is an issue for the entire human race!! How very sad!!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Muckster]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

We are no where near a minority, but we are portrayed in the Media as goof balls History is taught from an angle these days of the wrong things we did being Highly emphasized

And EVERY Child has a right to grow up with a positive self self image.

I get where the OP is going and why he feels that way, but I would think... a History Month is an idea not an Answer... Like I said above, Teach POSITIVE aspects of all cultures to children save the Death and Destruction for a better age.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I could care less about a white history month. I can only hope that my grandchildren or their grandchildren etc... will enjoy a time where race is not an issue. Where religion is part of one's faith only and not the world's view. Where " humans " become aware that we all bleed red and war is not the answer. Just imagine how far we could be right now if we didn't have all these issues and wars. Forget the moon, we'd be past our solar system and settling in on new horizons and galaxies. Instead of all that war money going to kill people we'd have the cures for cancer, aids and other horrible diseases. Better yet, get rid of money and work together as one earth and one race and we'll reach our dreams. I know, I'm preaching but it's true.

I really don't care about any history months, holidays, birthdays etc... And I really don't like people complaining about why them and not us? Our history is full of all races taking care of one another in times of need. Whether it's black, white, red or yellow people have stood tall and gone against the grain. If we could only learn from them and put the past behind us we may someday have a future. No white history month for me and I'm white. How about we celebrate life not race.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Teach POSITIVE aspects of all cultures to children save the Death and Destruction for a better age.

In a way this is already being done. I am all for teaching positive things to kids but I think it's wrong to hold back the dark stuff. But for gods sake don't take the bad stuff and turn it into some abortion of history and tell our kids it's the truth.

Christopher Columbus is portrayed as a hero in school who "discovered" America. This is a bold lie. He didn't discover America at all, it was discovered by and named for the Viking who discovered it years before. Chris and his men were single highhandedly responsible for murdering thousands of Haitians in their search for gold in Haiti so much so they they almost wiped them all out. This man had much innocent blood on his hands.. yet they twist the truth and tell our kids to look up to this murdering scum. They even gave this murderer his own holiday!

This is all a matter of factual historical record.. but do they teach this to the kids, No.. This creep is a hero!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I agree with doing away with all culturally specific "history holidays".

American versions of history are predominately white because, America has historically been predominately white populated. There was/is no conspiracy to omit other cultures. Average Americans generally didn't care about the history of other cultures. So they recorded little of it and promoted even less.

Of course the demographics have changed and the attitude toward history as well. The only problem is the public policies and organizations which are favorable to a particular culture or race.

Residents in my town do not know much about the people in your town, and we don't celebrate your holidays.

It's not because we are racist or prejudiced. It's because we do not give a damn.

The cultural gap in history will "fix" itself if left alone.

"Black/White History month" has the opposite effect and restrains cultural diversity while promoting racism.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Agreed and these things should not be "Hidden" it's just a bit much for a 7 year old...

And in Reality I could do the same thing to any culture...

Like Mayans playing Soccer with Human Heads when the Spaniards arrived

Or what exactly did become of Roanoke VA when we first arrived or Which commuted the first Murder in New England Native or Settler...

Who ventured into Africa for the Slave trade Caucasians or Muslims? What percentage of even that was inter tribe Black on Black Crime?

How many women were enslaved from southern Europe into the Mideast in the same time frame?

NO ONE is innocent and...

It's a terrible waste of time which is limited in Public school for these ATSish discussions to dominate history...

Teach my kid about the Natives Spiritual beliefs LONG BEFORE we discuss the Human Sacrifices please...

Why because no Native Alive today performs Human sacrifice ll and it's not cool at that age...

Columbus Discovered America...

Yeah he was actually Jewish, might have been Gay and also Murdered lost of people...

Okay lol... please Save the X rated version for College...

You could put a Child through a full 12 years and not cover the History of Art

We teach ONLY the History of WAR, nothing else... It's a terrible Mindset...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Is there a slovak history month or us it just white history. I can see were this thread is going.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
ET History Month?

All of it is really stupid, black history month, women herstory month. blah blah blah.

History, that's it, just teach that.
And we can all just friggin realize that we're all people, you can't just keep letting overseers make you feel divided... what was that saying... "United we Stand, Divided We Fall".

----Edit to add: OMG! Can ATS have an ATS History Month!!!???!!!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Republican08]

C'mon guys don't be all

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Your point is taken, I don't think the little ones should hear the hard stuff either. Sure wait till they are in high school.. I think they can handle it then.. but why they go to so much trouble to teach the small one's a complete lie about Columbus and others is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
You must admit (if you have any credibility) that Europeans have done more historically in the last 1000 to 1500 years than anyone. Before that, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Sumerian/Babalonions.

Have there been a few blacks contributed? Yeah. Other races? Yeah. On the percentage? Not close. Not in the last 1000 to 1500 years.

Europeans (Northern and Southern) folks! For fair or foul, WE have done the lions share of exploration and invention!

WW1 and WW2 were used to try and Eliminate the nation (and race) of Germania! Right now, they're brainwashing our kids so were breed out of existance!

WE SCARE THE HELL OUT OF EVERYONE BECAUSE WERE BLOODY GOOD AT WHAT WE DO!

Classical music for one thing. We Germanics have dominated that (well, at least GOOD classical anyway). Science? Yep. Art? well, we and the southern Europeans.

Most of all this "X-race" of the month club is done by liberal, self-hating whites with white guilt.

Luckily, I'm not afflicted by this in any way.:cool

History is what it is. Teach it all or dont! I dont give a rats butt about who did what. If a "frog" did it? Great. If a bloody Muzzie did it? Great! Dont jazz it up because of polical correctness! All revisionists are communist's!

I have a cure for communism.

The French invented it! Back when the French had a pair anyway!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by felonius]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Yeah i'm no expert on what the "age of readiness" would be for a person... HS possibly, sure...

And I agree completely

We change the History books at a whim... But Columbus hasn't been replaced by at least the Vikings?

There are Theories about Chinese, Egyptian discoveries, maybe others...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join