It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cavemen Should Have Cut Their Hair Too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Most of you are probably aware of this story from a year ago. Apparently in Houston, a Native American boy was kicked out of school for not conforming to dresscode. His hair was long and in braids, and the school board wanted him to cut it. Well, the case has made it to the U.S. Appeals Court-

It seems like something from an earlier century in which native American children were forced to give up their Indian ways and for the culture of whites. A five-year old native American boy in Texas was punished for wearing his hair in two lengthy braids. School officials deemed the kindergartner's braids in violation of the Needville Independent School District's dress code which forbids long hair for boys. The ACLU sued on the boy's behalf and earlier this year, a federal district judge said the child had a constitutional right to wear his braids as an expression of his religion. On Friday, the case will be heard by the U.S. Appeals Court in New Orleans.

NPR Link

I'm split on this. What message does it send to kids that didn't want to cut their hair but had to because they are Anglo or African-American?

How far back can we use the "Heritage" argument?

I mean, cavemen had long hair, right? And I'm pretty sure my kids are descendants of cavemen....

I don't really know which way to lean here just interested in your thoughts.

*Please overlook the ACLU side of this, that's not where I'm going-Thanks*

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is still the USA right? Why would it be a problem to wear your hair in any imaginable way so long as it wasnt a threat to someone else's life or property?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If the U.S. Court of Appeals does not support this child; then we are in trouble. I am confident they will, and continue to support the freedoms of U.S. citizens.

The only way they could possibly go against him, would be if this were a private school, and the parents agreed beforehand they would abide by school codes, including hair styles.

Then he should be given the option to conform, or leave.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

You do not understand the dynamic of the PC Brigade here.

It is bad to be an individual. You should never stand out. Everyone is equal and if not you will be equalized.

Does anyone else feel the absolute Outer Limits surrealism being instituted here in the US.

Maybe it is just me. But once they pass the 39th Amendment forcing everyone to be only as smart as the dumbest one of us-

Don't be surprised when I say-I TOLD YOU SO!

This joke brought to you by a fiction story of the past.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My son is Spanish born in the US he wore long hair that I used to braid in small braids all over his head during junior high and high school, nobody complain about his hair style at school.

And they had dress codes also.

So what in the heck long hair, braids or cornrows had to do with children abilities to learn in school? not a darn thing, somebody or group wants to made an example of the child as usual.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Anybody should be allowed any style of hair they choose, as long as they are not spreading lice or something. Then again, kids in my school with short hair had lice, so even that is a pretty weak argument.

So why does human hair keep growing anyway? What was the evolutionary advantage?

I mean all other creatures hair grows to a fixed length and then stops but human head and facial hair keeps growing and growing.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
That's one thing that has always bothered me with schools. They can make you go, (not saying education is bad), and then make you conform to a bunch of stupid unnecessary rules. I wish our country is how it used to be. I can do whatever I want as long as I didn't infringe on anyone elses rights. Thats how it should be. Im on the kids side.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

As an Anthropologist I have to agree with the ACLU on this. Everyone living on this Earth has the right to live by his or her own cultural practices. End of discussion.

If you don't agree with another's own culture then that, quite frankly, is your own problem.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by one_enlightened_mind]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Let me expand a little....Since all of us could claim somewhere in our heritage they had long hair...Shouldn't my kid be allowed too?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Of course! Sikh grow their hair into a long top style pony tail that they keep under their turbans, jews have long sidelocks, rastafarians and indian monks have dread locks, all traditional ancient long hair cuts. Should we make them all shave?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
Then again, kids in my school with short hair had lice, so even that is a pretty weak argument.

Yes, it is a weak argument. It's been proven that head lice thrive better in short, clean hair compared to long, dirty hair. Thinking about the Laws of Nature, it makes perfect sense...What self-respecting blood-sucking insect wants to eat at a dirty table? Hmmm...Now that I think about it, lawyers & politicians come to mind...

By the Supreme Law of the Land, no crime is committed unless someone else (or their private property) is hurt/killed/damaged/destroyed, a "perp" has actually caused some kind of riot or causing a very loud, disturbing racket in public. In essence, the Supreme Law allows anything short of actions that violate someone else's Rights under Law. By Supreme Court ruling on Constitutional Law, "No Lawful exercise of Rights can be converted into a crime."

For God's sake, leave the kid alone, jerkwads! You're the ones violating the Kid's Right to Free Expression!

new topics

top topics

join