It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Use Facebook?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

So ATS do you use Facebook?

So ATS do you use Facebook?

This thread is just a quick message to ATS to stay alert with Facebook.

Sophos Facebook ID probe shows 41% of users happy to reveal all to potential identity thieves

A couple years later and things are still the same:
www.sophos.com...

Facebook Privacy

Here are a few videos:

Five months after it first announced coming privacy changes this past summer, Facebook is finally rolling out a new set of revamped privacy settings for its 350 million users. The social networking site has rightly been criticized for its confusing privacy settings, most notably in a must-read report by the Canadian Privacy Commissioner issued in July and most recently by a Norwegian consumer protection agency. We're glad to see Facebook is attempting to respond to those privacy criticisms with these changes, which are going live this evening. Unfortunately, several of the claimed privacy "improvements" have created new and serious privacy problems for users of the popular social network service.

www.eff.org...

Deleting your account: www.facebook.com...

UnFacebook Yourself: howto.wired.com...

I may do a follow up thread later on with more research, but I just wanted everyone's opinions on facebook and whether they use it or not and why.

Stay safe. Stay secure. Stay Free.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by GoodLuckCharm]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hey
I do not use facebook, im 24 and everyone i want to talk to i do. I cant get into the vainity of it all, posting pictures of my life for others to enjoy?
There is nothing more enraging than going out and planning on having a great night with your friends and some jerk is there with a camera the whole time.

a) if i want my life documented ill fall down the evolutionary chain and sign up for MTV.

b) how about actually living in a moment instead of capturing it, reflecting on it later, and showing it off to other people to prove you have a life. Try actually having a life and you wont have to prove it to anyone.

I also hate that addage of "ohh its easy to plan things" yeah cause they sure didnt get together in the 0-2004 years. People sat at home and did nothing without the great organizer that is facebook.

To me Facebook is an extension of my generation being raised with the "you can do anything in the world little princess" attitude. Now that it hasnt happened for them they feel the need to grandious their life with online friends they think follow their life like they are movie stars.
I haaaattteeee facebook, but im more "Sinatra than Ludicrous" - Jay-Z

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Hack28]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

I use Facebook. I use it to stay in touch with my family and friends since I have moved overseas. I like to post pictures for them to see and I like looking at the pictures they post. It's just a way for me to stay in touch.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I love Facebook. It contains less information than can be found about anyone by using Google. It doesn't have my real birthday, middle name, home address, soc sec number, drivers license number, etc. I don't see what all the hoopla is about.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I use facebook, but the only personal info I uploaded were my picture, birthdate and city where I live and pictures of my plants, just so old friends could find me.

Never anything remotely 'personal'

Fortunately I was warned well in advance regarding Facebook's privacy issues but never saw the point in being too worried about my name on facebook...

If the government wants to go after me, then go ahead, I'm waiting.

Edit to add that insurance claims have been rejected based on information that the insured posted on facebook, so be careful!

No happy pictures of you frockling on the beach when you're trying to claim disability, which is what happened to a woman. Her claim was rejected based on that.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Me either to be honest. My address, phone number and birthday are already known by the people who matter to me, so no need to post it on there....I love it as a way to share pictures and to chat with my friends and family.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
@Hack28
Yes, i think you have to be more careful these days when people with cameras show up at parties, and yes people can survive without it. I don't get the obsession either, but that's just me, emails are fine imo.

@sugarmonkey
There may or may not be a big issue here, but you have to know that the data you post might be used by third parties, I suggest you check the unfacebook yourself link. There is a few nice tips for the average user.

This is just a warning type of post.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't use Facebook.
At some point I will have to; At least my musician friends who book regular gigs where they make money tell me I will have to get it at some point. That it will help me in getting a fan base for my music and for getting paid gigs is what I mean.
Though I don't like the idea of having my life documented. Like the other poster said I will "devolve and go on Mtv if I want my life documented" or something like that. (was really funny)
But it is like documenting your life.
I could do the music thing in other ways. I might not ever get it.
One day a close friend tried to get me interested. I looked at his screen and there was a picture of a woman and a caption that read something like " (insert name) just spent six hours in a car with a three year old who threw up on me the whole time"
I told my buddy, I was like dude, that's what you people do on this thing!?
THat's like the last thing in the world I would need to know about one of my friends I think.
He assured me it's not just that stuff. Others have assured me of that also.
Seems so weird.
No offense to the facebook lovers, but another one of my good friends who also does not use it refers to it as facef&#ck

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hmm interesting I didn't except people on here to be as trusting.
I think some of the issue's here are:
Where is the information going?
How secure is that information?
How is the information being used by third parties?
Who are these third parties?
Among other questions.

If we do not demand privacy from this website, then it will just give a precedent for others to do the same, and then we cannot argue because we have already given up our privacy at this point.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
FB isn't that bad. You're not forced to post your number, work, education, or any information you don't want to provide. Also, you are able to privatize your page to non-friends.

Just be smart and be careful with such websites.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There are several threads regarding facebook and its privacy issues already. I can't be bothered to post them. Like mentioned in all the other threads, if you dont want your private info being seen on the internet....DONT POST IT.

I think the only people who should be worried are people with something to hide. Other than that, I use facebook and only put stuff on there I dont care if anyone in the world sees. I have nothing to hide so no big deal.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I use facebook for communication with friends (you know, those not worth a phone call type haha)

But I have no information about myself in it. Only the city I am in, but no email, no phone, no address, the people that matter already have all the info. People put way too much information out there.

An example
I am not sure, but I think within my circle of school friends, one of them has a boyfriend that is here, the profile pic is fairly similar. I wont name names, but now I have a name (if confirmed, I U2U`d said person).
Its cool, cause in one way it is just proof that everybody knows everybody down the line, but not cool, cause I have name and location of a member that might not have wanted anybody to know. I couldnt care less, but someone else could do damage I suppose, it they were heart-less non-human demons

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodLuckCharm

@sugarmonkey
There may or may not be a big issue here, but you have to know that the data you post might be used by third parties, I suggest you check the unfacebook yourself link. There is a few nice tips for the average user.

This is just a warning type of post.

Oh I understand the third party issue. I have my privacy settings set to "Friends Only". I will check out that link though. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Question: Does anyone think that facebook is giving or selling information to government agency's?

I haven't done much research on this yet, but I do think its a strong possibility that facebook and some other major websites are doing this, but that's just my view on the situation at this point.

Is it not our right to know where our information is going?

Sure facebook is free, and some people say that is why its not as secure, but so are a lot of other websites, email services, etc, and if they did the same thing (not providing enough security) then people would be upset.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodLuckCharm
Question: Does anyone think that facebook is giving or selling information to government agency's?

Of course they are. And not just to government agencies but to corporate entities as well. I have no proof, but my gut tells me that this is highly probable.

I mean if the roles were reversed, and you were evil, wouldnt you?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
god does facebook SUCKS. its not even so much about all the information theyr collecting from you,its about endless spams and stupid quizes that gather even more info (:
last day i received some "u have new message",it turned out to be a spam app,it immediatly sended messages to some of my friends.what the..!?
FACEBOOK SUCKS

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
no no no no no no
I will not use such sites, and I never will. They're blatently phishing sites for the goverment. Screw that. If I want "them" to know my every move, I'll phone them up and tell them

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
For me, Facebook has connected me with friends I haven't heard from in 10-15 years and didn't think I would ever hear from again.
I put minimal personal info on there so I don't see any problems.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think what you all need to realize is that it doesnt matter whether you use facebook, myspace, ATS etc etc TPTB already know and have access to everything about you. You think they dont? think again.

Heres a quick list of things that YOU probably have that they can access at ANY time if need be.

-medical/dental records
-bank or credit information debit or credit card
-cell phone
-mortgage
-car
-any bill

and so on and so on.

They dont need the internet to know everything about you. And no they don't need to BUY ANY information about you from places like facebook etc. They can access anything they want online without you or anyone else knowing about it so why would they go public, so to speak, and ask to buy info from anyone?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I had a facebook account, but only ever spoke to people I knew if they spoke to me, and only once allowed an app into my account, purely because I was, for some reason, intrigued by one of the quiz things and gave it a bash.

But, always the sceptic, I wondered just what it meant if you allowed an app access to your account, and I honestly didn`t trust it, so I closed my account.

The thing that made me chuckle was that facebook emailed me to say that my account had been closed, but should I change my mind, all I had to do was simply log in as usual, hahaha, it`s just an elaborate log out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join