It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Star = Big Brother?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I recently watched a commercial for On Star in which they demonstrated On Stars ability to stop a car that has been stolen. I got the idea that this could lead to "mandatory" use of On Star in vehicles as they claim it is needed for LEO's to more effectively do thier job. With On Stars ability to track cars, as is demonstrated when a crash occurs and they dispatch emergency personnel to assist, i feel this might be the "totalitarian tiptoe" way to get a Big Brother type scenario.

They will know where you are driving and can compile a history of your driving habits

They could automatically fine people for speeding

They could basically controll your vehicle if they so desired.

Am I too paranoid or does anyone else have reservations about this type of technology being "forced" upon us should it go that direction?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Most of us on this site are at least a little paranoid

This strikes me as strange.
Why would "the man" want that much control over someone's car?

They want to do it for safety reasons, man. But it could easily be twisted in a way like you suggested. Good thinking.
Flag for you

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I agree.

The potential for misuse by the Earthly powers that be is high.

I won't allow my car to be 'chipped'

I drive a used 97' Suzuki Swift and keep the interior as messy and as spartan as possible to disgust and repel would-be thieves. There are dirt stains on the seats and everything from dogs and spilled plant containers

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Originally I thought it was a pretty far fetched idea but after thinking about the spin that they could put on it as far as it being "good' for us it didn't seem quite as far fetched and when I started to think about what they could actually accomplish with this information and/or control it seemed even more plausable.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I hear you. I recently boughta car from GM that came with On Star. It was a bit of a pain because my kids would be playing around and mistakenly hit the emergency button and I would have to explain that it was an accident. Another feature I just though about is that On Star can be used to make phone calls, they are already making cell phone use while driving a tracking infraction. Suppose they say that On Star is the only device that you can use to make phone call while driving. Now they have all your phone records readily available.

I realize that not everybody spends most of there time in a car but some people do spend quite a bit of time driving.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You're only paranoid if it's not true. Paranoia is a medical condition that makes you believe that things are happening that really are not.

The police have been looking for this technology for a while now.
Not just to stop stolen vehicle and prevent high speed chase situations, but to track the movement of individual cars of interest.

Traffic cameras........
Speed cameras.......
RFID toll roads........
Black boxes that they can download your speed and braking habits.

You're screwed, the future will only give the cops more control over your life.
Babies will be chipped at birth. Old people will be chipped to protect them. And then they'll come for you.

Of course this will all be for your protection citizen. :shk:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I do not know where the case has ended but a person that had been tracked for three months by installing a GPS unit, on the exterior of his car, is fighting the constitutionality of what the police had done.

Besides OnStar, think about satelite radio also. This can also be used to locate your vehicle, not disable it but track your every move.

Also, if you have a cell phone with GPS capability, this can also be used for tracking you.

Also with cell phones, since it is a radio device no warrant is necessary to listen to your conversations. They are regulated by the FCC as a radio device.

Also with your cell, they can turn it on at anytime to use it as a listening device.

Have a camera on your phone? Also can be used without your knowledge.

Have bluetooth capability? I can hack your phone and be able to listen to all of your coversations and access it at will if you leave the find me on.

That last, I have done it to one of my older phones.

Sometimes paranoia is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Well I hope something comes from that case you mentioned.

At least at the moment most technology is something you choose to use. I hope it never gets to the mandatory point. I wonder how many people know about the capabilities of the phones, GPS etc... that they use. I know I've heard of how they could manipulate certain technologies but when it's all put together like in your post it starts to get a little scary.

Great post BTW.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OP, what kind of monkey business are you up to that you don't want somebody to know where you are? I like people - including the authorities to be able to find me. Buying something maybe you shouldn't be buying, perhaps? Hmmmm?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 2000 Yards

No, what do you mean! Have you been watching me, get out of my head damn you!!!!

Seriously, I really don't have anything to hide. I'm just looking out for those that do

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
The potential for misuse by the Earthly powers that be is high.

You know, I see a lot of threads here about this technology or that technology and the response above is always made.

Now, the above statement is true; however, can we not say the same about most inventions dating back to the caveman's invention of fire and the wheel?

One can fear technology all day long; but what is the alternative, resort to neolithic times?

Just my 2-cents

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

It's not the technology that I fear it's when something becomes mandatory that get's me concerned. I realize that this is not the case right now but more of a what if scenario.

And really when you look at it it is not the technology itself but the potential for misuse and the ease in which they can use this stuff to monitor you.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
You know, I see a lot of threads here about this technology or that technology and the response above is always made.

Now, the above statement is true; however, can we not say the same about most inventions dating back to the caveman's invention of fire and the wheel?

One can fear technology all day long; but what is the alternative, resort to neolithic times?

A post worthy of it's own thread for sure. This is something that I've been contemplating a lot lately. Technology wants to live where privacy lives. They can't live together, so one has to go.

What's funny, is that if the ATS member base was a reflection of human civilization in general, there would be no ATS, and a goat would cost 4 sea shells.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Speaking for myself I think it is more a reflection of trust. I don't trust the people who feel they can keep me safe from myself. I would like to be treated as a soveriegn individual with the ability to keep prying eyes or ears out of my buisness (as long as I am not harming anyone of course)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2000 Yards
OP, what kind of monkey business are you up to that you don't want somebody to know where you are? I like people - including the authorities to be able to find me. Buying something maybe you shouldn't be buying, perhaps? Hmmmm?

You may have said it in jest, but I take offense.

You don't need to be doing something wrong to want privacy.
The argument that "if you're doing nothing wrong you should have nothing to hide" is total bull#.

Grow up and see what's going on around you........

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Your right AD, even though that particular post was in jest there are some who are really of the opinion that if you have nothing to hide than what's the problem. Well, IMO it's a slippery slope and once you let them push you over the cusp, it's a long way down and there ain't no looking back.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I will not buy a car with OnStar. Yes, it would be great to have automatic help in case of an accident. Yes, directions when lost would be awesome. Yes, even locating a restaurant nearby would be really nice. And yes, getting back a stolen car is a good thing. However, the potential for abuse here is far too great. What if I don't want my every move tracked? I don't have to be doing anything wrong to want privacy. Plus, there is that little issue of "wrong" being decided by whoever is in power at the time. That's becoming a real issue these days.....

As for a cell phone being used to track you, yes, they can. Even if you don't set up that locate thing, they can. Safest bet? Remove the battery when not in use, if you have any reason to worry about it. No power, no remote access, tracking, anything. Those lovely prepaid phones are great, too. Watch out for politicians that want to regulate these, in the name of "crime fighting".

join