It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Were Born To Run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here. This is a subject that interests me, as I have been an "off & on" runner for a few years. It's all about willpower, right?

Anyway, I ran across a story about Christopher McDougall, I guy that spent some time with the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico trying to figure out why they were better runners than the average guy or gal. One of the most surprising things to me was their footwear - No comfy Reeboks or Nikes...they cut up old tires and make a basic foot covering out of rubber. It turns out that today's arch supports and soft cushy running shoes may actually HURT your ankles and feet more than they help. Our bodies evolved with no shoes at all, with our early ancestors running/walking many miles a day foraging for food.

This also brought up something else interesting. Humans can outrun any animal on the planet - distance wise. We evolved running up to 5 hours at a time..that's right 5 HOURS, chasing food. There is no other animal that is built to run that long and that far. Maybe this is why Neanderthals died out...they just couldn't keep up.

Like many runners, journalist Christopher McDougall got hurt. A lot. And like many of those injured runners, he was told that his aches and pains were a natural consequence of his chosen form of exercise. "Running," one doctor told him, "is your problem." McDougall didn't accept that—especially after reading about the Tarahumara Indians, who live in Mexico's Copper Canyons and run like stink, on shoes McDougall compares to flip-flops. He set out to learn from the Tarahumara. After years of research, he concluded that "persistence hunting"—a combination of tracking and endurance running over many miles at a time—was the human race's original, and best, form of exercise. He chronicles his journey of discovery in Born t

U.S. News & World Report Story

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
makes an awful lot of sense.

i've heard that sweat glands and hairlessness are also alleged adaptations for endurance running.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
i'd love to run barefoot everywhere.

so many hazards though.

guess the only course of action is to get those soles nice and calloused, in order to protect from all the sharp crap out there.

guess best place would be the beach huh?
nice and cozy up to the washed up syringes and broken bottles...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hey, why dont you check this out?

Vibram barefoot shoes

FREAKY!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have always said if we didn't have cars to drag our butts around in then we as a species would be alot stronger alot healthier and alot skinnier.

Imagine if we all rode bikes or walked everywhere??
Riding or walking 20 km would be a breeze if done all the time (speaking from experience here)

If you could imagine doing this your whole life then how strong do you think you would be at age 30 or at age 50?
In our world today most won't even walk a few blocks to go to the store....thats pretty sad in my opinion.
Sometimes the toughest route is the most rewarding.

Posted by a guy who REFUSES to own a car and am happy about that.....I don't know many people who can keep up with me or who will even entertain the idea of trying.
I have done 170km bike trips FOR FUN.
Start using your legs,2 hours at a gym in a week is not going to cut it.

Thanks OP for making a thread of something I have been wanting to say for awhile now.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

It is interesting. There have been times I sit and wonder what it is this body was designed to do. Share with another body, obviously since none of us can scratch our own back. We are often effective alone but show great synergism in pairs....and yes for some reason we were meant to run.
Years ago they took long treks thought the desert but the need to run should have worn off by now and gone the way of the tail. Running and the need to run has not left us, it seems for some purpose, an intentional modification
We atrophy and physically decline without the proper kind of movement.
Funny to me that any old movement will not do as many people think.

Studies have found this ideally to be at least 20-60 minutes of -not stretching and weightlifting - but some huge air exchange. aerobic air intake, oxygen utilization, cell feeding that only can happen if you get the body up to great speeds. The safest way to attain those speeds and get the heart rate at the optimum, is by our fortunately "natural" inclination to run.

But conversely, we are also designed to benefit greatly, to lower our heart and blood pressures and anxiety levels by sitting still for long periods of time and focusing only on our oxygen intake and some repetitive phrase like a mantra. This works too.
Perhaps nature in her wisdom provided an alternate means to keep excellent core engine "fitness" to those who by some infirmity are unable to run.

The conclusion I have arrived at through all this pondering...,there is something vital for peace of body mind and soul (mystics give it a name.. chi?)... in the oxygen.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

i think i've just found my christmas present to myself, i want those shoes so much.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Hey, why dont you check this out?

Vibram barefoot shoes

FREAKY!

oh wow i forgot about those.. i checked them out once before.. thanks for reminding me.

i definitely have to get a pair of those... someday
(stupid empty wallet-thing!)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I understand where op is going, but different shoes really do have a massive effect on you and how long you can run and your recovery.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I know a story about a woman who had a circulatory disease that left her unable to walk and bound to a wheelchair.
Some smart caretaker began taking her to the beach.
She began with just a few steps in the sand.
The next day a few more...

You can guess the rest...little by little walking on sand helped increase her circulation and she eventually recovered the full use of her feet and legs and actually began everyday running on the beach.

I am inclined to run so often people always tell me to slow down and put some shoes on.
Be careful not to wear artificial plastic shoes on bare feet. If toxins can slip out from plastic into your drinking water and baby bottles you can bet those shoes (not checked by the FDA) are made with a far worse plastic-toxin ingredients and can get absorbed into your body through your feet. Doubt it? Put a piece of garlic in your shoe!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

19 months ago, i could not run 10 steps as my legs where so weak with fat and no muscles. Today i run 40 mins a day 6 days a week.

You just need the motivation to do something. Jogging is excellent for you, and for any one who is slightly depressed, go jogging in morning, as that will help your hormones for the rest of the day.

You hear all these people talking about weights and you need muscles to burn fat. I do no weights and i just jog, like i said 6 days a week. I lost an awful load of fat just by this, and its easily the best exercise.

[edit on 12/15/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Good work! Nothing changes you so dramatically in a two week time period than a regime of running. No drug and no abstaining from anything. When you run you see a dramatic difference in physic and well being in only 2 weeks. It is really something so I believe you.
And studies also show that all but the most severe of mental illness complaints related to depression and anxiety and a whole host of other psychiatric disorders can be better and more effectively treated without medication but with running on a regular basis!
I have always said before I let them feed me a pill for any small personality or mood disturbance I will try to fix the problem by running. I always try to convince people who are given pills to try it for a few months and see if it doesn't clear up the problem.
I know an old lady who claimed to run because she did not do drugs any longer and it was the only way she found she could "get high" or experience the euphoric, endorphin rush she was hooked on.

And THX for the song posted below...YEAH BABY!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by rusethorcain]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
"BABY WE WERE BORN TO RUN!!!!"

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm an exception.
I wasn't born to run.
Try to run for 12 minutes in 7 degrees Celsius like I did right in the morning!! And count that my physiotherapist was shocked that I couldn't relax my muscles!
Today was a killer day

Every time I coughed it tasted like blood

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Danna]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danna
I'm an exception.
I wasn't born to run.
Try to run for 12 minutes in 7 degrees Celsius like I did right in the morning!! And count that my physiotherapist was shocked that I couldn't relax my muscles!
Today was a killer day

Every time I coughed it tasted like blood

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Danna]

That's where treadmills come in...I prefer running outside but not under 40 degrees (F)....10 minutes on Craigslist and I had a $400 treadmill for $80.

And to Rusethorcain, that jogger's high is no joke! I have experimented with many things (cough) and running comes pretty close - and it's free.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

What if you are born with no legs?

Kind of rubbing it in if everyone else is running around taking the pee out of you.

I believe we were born to kill planets, the proof is out there. Every time we breath we create evil Co2, we make mother earth cry.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
reply to post by Signals

What if you are born with no legs?

Kind of rubbing it in if everyone else is running around taking the pee out of you.

I believe we were born to kill planets, the proof is out there. Every time we breath we create evil Co2, we make mother earth cry.

OK so just lay quietly and don't breathe.
Or read the posts...it's not like this is a long thread...
they Meditate.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Lucky you I cant buy a treadmill and
I'm forced to run or else my family will kill me... I think im gonna change to swimming pools

new topics

top topics

join