It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overlooked 150 Year Old Household Cleaner a Remedy for Swine Flu?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well I have to say that I believe in natural remedies but I never imagine that Sodium Bicarbonate could be used as a prevention for flu.

“In 1918 and 1919 while fighting the ‘Flu’ with the U. S. Public Health Service it was brought to my attention that rarely any one who had been thoroughly alkalinized with bicarbonate of soda contracted the disease, and those who did contract it, if alkalinized early, would invariably have mild attacks.”

Recommended dosages from the Arm and Hammer Company for colds and influenza back in 1925 were:

•During the first day take six doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at about two hour intervals
•During the second day take four doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water, at the same intervals
•During the third day take two doses of half teaspoonful of Bicarbonate of Soda in glass of cool water morning and evening, and thereafter half teaspoonful in glass of cool water each morning until cold is cured

articles.mercola.com...

Now I know that this is not for everyone but is interesting.

Bicarbonate Treatment for Swine Flu (1924)

sodiumbicarbonate.imva.info...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Also Marg, one of the cheapest forms of anti bacterial and anti viral cleaner is right in your neighborhood grocer.

Hydrogen Peroxide at the lower concentrations is one of the best sterilizers on the market. Cheap and more effective than any of the Lysol type sterilizers.

One other plus of using hydrogen peroxide, it does not come with all of the chemicals that the chemical companies put in their products.

Just be careful not to get on clothing or other fabrics. It does the same thing as chorine.

Just pour into a spray bottle and after cleaning surfaces, just spray lightly. I also use it to sterilize all my toiletries and my cutting boards.

Amazingly simple products that are not detrimental to our environment.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Myself and Mrs. Frogs haven't gotten sick so far this cold / flu season and we've been around lots of people who have had colds and various forms of the flu.

What we've been doing is this.

When out, we try not to touch our face (no scratching the nose, etc). When we get back home the first thing is washing hands in hot, soapy water.

The second thing is a small shot of some type of straight high proof spirits (whiskey, rum, vodka, etc). I'm not talking about a lot. Just about 1/4 to 1/3 of a shot glass. Instead of chugging it down, swish it around first and be sure to let it coat as much of your throat as possible when swallowing. As I said, we use something high proof (80min). The goal is to kill germs.

For what its worth, my great grandmother lived through the 1918 flu outbreak. There were not many doc's in that neck of the woods back then so she used to go around and treat people with herbs and such. The above is what they say she used to do to keep from catching it.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I have a bad case of acid reflux disorder, had it all my life, and I have been using Arm & Hammer since I was a small boy, a very long time ago. Another good use is to open a box and place it in the back of your fridge...it will absorb all of those bad smells, and your fridge will smell great! No wonder I have never had a bad case of flu. I had something a month ago, my doctor told me she thought it may be swine flu, but after three days it was gone. I didn't take any flu shots either.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
My husband and I do this and we swear by it. At the onset of a cold or flu, take some baking soda mixed in with water. It tastes awful but it balances out the alkaline/acidic nature of our bodies to fight the infection.

Cream of tarter works even better and is used the same. It's just that more people typically have baking soda around the house so that is more common. But Cream of tarter (found in the spice aisle) is even more ideal but both work.

It is also really helpful when you have a bug you can't kick. When you're sick for days and can't get to feeling better, starting mixing 1/4th of a teaspoon of baking soda with 8 ounces of water a few times a day. It will help you kick the illness and get on the road to quick recovery.

The baking soda/cream of tarter balances your Ph levels where the bacteria can't thrive.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
That is very interesting to me...

I was commenting to my family that I seem to never get sick anymore... No flu ever. Even when i come in direct contact with multiple family members who were ill over the last 10 years. or more..

I drink baking soda water everyday for the last 10 plus years because it helps with my heartburn... I wonder if that could also be preventing disease.. Very interesting

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Hon, thanks for bringing that back, that was the first line of antibacterial back in the days, I remember because my mother used to have it in the house and use it for every thing, from scrapes to cuts.

Even in our local clinics runs by the government (before the privatized health care monopoly) they used to treat skin infections with Iodine, peroxide and alcohol.

This was back in the 60s.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Thanks for the tip, this brings me to my mother pneumonia or (chest congestion as used to be known back in the days), her home remedy was salvia, aloa, 7 jarabes, 100% rum, honey and other remedies, that she still uses, it will clear a chest cold or congestion in week.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

To tell you the truth my mother uses baking soda for many things, but I had not clue it was good for treatment of flu. I guess we learn something new everyday.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 333

Thanks for the life experience, more to add to the claims of baking soda as a remedy.

Also autowrench, that also is a nice life experience from your part.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
You want to defend yourself against SwineFlu?

Well, here you go:

Fishe rman's Friend

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i use baking soda for deodorant and to clean the teeth. I rinse the mouth with hydrogen peroxide. works well and cheap.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Edit: retracted my statement after researching further

[edit on 15-12-2009 by ElaynaValenti]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
[I am so glad to hear that so many people are aware how helpful baking soda is!!
The acid/alkaline balance thing is very important to our health....HOWEVER...........PLEASE be aware of the high sodium content of baking soda...the one gentlemen who's been drinking it every day for many years? I trust he does not have high blood pressure!!
Just a friendly reminder of its sodium content!
Does anyone use apple cider vinegar in water for similar purposes?
Stay healthy everyone!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
S&F to the OP.

Just about all of the info given so far is what I generally tell my clients.

However, I would also add the (external) use of the Antiviral & Antibiotic Essential oils, such as Eucalyptus Radiata, Lemon, Geranium, Lavender, Thyme, Cinnamon leaf, Clove, etc. Look at the essential oils often used in "Theives Oil" blends for an idea.

Regarding the Fisherman's friend article, I was surprised there was no mention of Zinc. Ideally a lozenge with both Star Anise and Zinc would be ideal!

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

top topics

join