It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Rumsfeld Bans Camera Phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
MOBILE phones fitted with digital cameras have been banned in US army installations in Iraq on orders from Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, The Business newspaper reported today.

Camera Phone Ban

And a total ban 'through out the U.S military is in the works.
What about the other coalition countries, and contractors?

Bit late now, not to mention impossible.
Sanc'.

[Edited on 5-23-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Absolutely brilliant.

No bandaid solutions from any player in the Bush administration - let's get straight to the root cause of the problem.

No camera phones, no more systematic abuses.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The age old: what people dont see, people dont worry about.

Classic, you got to admire the old tried and tested method of Govermental whitewashing cant you.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Remember the movie Red Dawn? The commander of the invading army says that if a fox raids your chicken coup and kills your chickens you don't slaughter the pig because he saw it happen.

Same thing. Lets not get mad at those abusing the prisoners. Lets get mad at the people that busted us.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I wonder if it's just camara phones or if it's all cameras. I believe all the abuse shots were taken with film or digital. Either there's a specific threat, perhaps sabotage by US soldiers, or Rumsfeld is really off his rocker!

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Remember the movie Red Dawn? The commander of the invading army says that if a fox raids your chicken coup and kills your chickens you don't slaughter the pig because he saw it happen.

Same thing. Lets not get mad at those abusing the prisoners. Lets get mad at the people that busted us.

Damn straight, im from the UK and my friend over here calls the Houses of Parliment 'The White House' due to the amount of 'Whitewashing' that goes on. Goverments are goverments no matter what slant you stick on it.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
I wonder if it's just camara phones or if it's all cameras. I believe all the abuse shots were taken with film or digital. Either there's a specific threat, perhaps sabotage by US soldiers, or Rumsfeld is really off his rocker!

CS, Quote from above link,
"Digital cameras, camcorders and cellphones with cameras have been prohibited in military compounds in Iraq," it said, adding that a "total ban throughout the US military" is in the works."
(Pentagon source)
Sanc'.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It's not the cameras...it's the EYES!

We need an entirely blind, labotomized, Eunic army.

That'll fix everything.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
It's not the cameras...it's the EYES!
We need an entirely blind, labotomized, Eunic army.

RANT, we have it. The Bush Admin'.
Sanc'.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I am glad they have banned cameras and pic phones so the idiots of the world don't have more to cry about. Even if you do not beleve the war is just and I am one that thinks we were lied to lets look at reality. First of all you do not get info from hostile people by being kind it just dosen't work. Info saves lives and has been collected in every war since time began. The methods are actually much more humane than what used to be done. Everyone knows this and the only reason it is a issue now is because it is political. If all of you were so concerned about human rights why didn't you demand that Clinton stop the genocide of nearley 1 million people in Rawanda but I guess when you consider that there is no oil there and it is just a bunch of poor ignorant blacks it wouldn't be a big issue for a southern boy. Not that Bush is any better mind you, my point being that all of us need to stop being so ignorant about the real world.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This tech' shows how the whole concept is impossible.
www.oxelectronics.com...
Sanc'.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Kinda off-topic, but these camera phone are on the way of becoming more and more of a threat.

They're already banning the use of those in some night clubs I hang out to.
No need to say you're not allowed to bring digi cam neither.

Besides taking photos of humiliated prisonners, these things could (and will) be used for industrial spying. But it probably already have been talked about, so sorry... But I understand why banning such a thing in some place will be necessary.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
As sanctum mentioned it will be tough to enforce. I have a keychain digital camera with these dimensions: 1.5 x 2.25 x 0.5 inches (H x W x D). Technology is making secrets harder to keep.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Poor taste? Or INGENIUS marketing?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Excuse me people this is not the only time cameras have been banned. Umm especially in a military installation. Come on dont blame it on bush this is a logical thing to do. I think their timing is wrong but do u really want instant real time coverage of our military units to the enemy cause if you have camera phones in the military bases and installations then thats what ur askin for.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Only the light of day keeps those in power from becoming absolutely corrupt, doing whatever they please, and serving solely their own interests. This latest tidbit from the Bush camp is true to form. No surprise whatsoever.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Great! They wont stop the systematic authorised abuse, they will just stop people taking pics of the abuse so we dont see it.

Nice going Bush!

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You know what, you people are sad. Quit making everything politicized, and stop grasping for straws.

I think it's sad that some of the prisoners are abused, but you have to realize that there are some really stupid people in the Army, just like there are really stupid people everywhere else.(cough* this thread *cough) Bad calls are made. I'm not saying to forgive them, go ahead and prosecute them, but quit trying to politicize it.

Nobody should be allowed to have a camera on a military base durrning wartime. HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE! Lets just have every single move our military makes and every thing they do, open to public knowedge. That'll stop the enemy from gaining intelligence on us! RIGHT!

We are at war here, people. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, peoples lives are at stake. At least act like intelligent, informed adults.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Why would the soldiers be allowed to have cell phones in the first place? Wouldn't it be possible to get information by listening in on the unsecure transmissions?

Those camera phones are being banned in several places as well. Many are using them in restrooms and other public places for voyeur photos of unsuspecting women and children.

My opinion on the ban is its a good idea, but an absolute horrible time to do it from a PR perspective.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
this thread could be called big brother pulls little brother's teeth.
these camera phones make everybody a walking media outlet. everyone knows media MUST be CONTROLLED. we can't have rapid truth running about.
we ARE at war. always. few can see the real enemy though. is it al queda? saddam? the ayatola? drugs? masons? or YOU!

new topics

top topics

join