It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The picture that could land you in jail: How police in Big Brother Britain treat you like a terroris

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
On Tuesday morning, a sunny day in London, Grant Smith decided to make use of the good light and set out to take some photographs of Christ Church on the corner of Newgate and King Edward Street.

Smith was standing on the corner with his cameras when he was approached by a security guard from the neighbouring Bank of America Merrill Lynch building. 'He asked me for ID,' says Smith.

'I politely explained that I didn't need to provide ID as I was standing in a public place. Then another, more senior, security guard came out.

Their conversation was cut short by the noisy arrival of blaring police sirens bearing down from the east and west.

As Smith watched in astonishment-three police cars, lights flashing frenetically, as well as a police riot van containing armed police officers, swerved into view and pulled up to investigate the 'incident' - which consisted of nothing more than a man taking pictures of a church in the capital in broad daylight.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So here we have it, it really is starting, being arrested by armed officers for taking photos of a old street.
How long before you have to provide your ID card to enter every public building? Supermarkets, hospitals and Shopping centres? No ID? You get arrested by armed police under "Terrorist Laws"

This is stupid.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I am shocked.

How Britain has changed. That man should sue them, and he would win.

They violated his rights.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

Under section 44 of the terrorism act you do not have to give your name, address, DNA or reason for being there.
So if you ever get stopped for no reason by the goons in yellow, make sure you know your rights.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

You have no idea what police in uk are doing. I was at school in 1992, and stumbled across they use electronic mind control in schools.

You people have no idea what the police are doing. Plus if you try to sue them and your poor, your life may be absolutely fecked by these loons, organising things like gang stalking etc.....

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Do you have any evidence for this "Mind Control"?

And how did you find out about it, im kind of doubtfull of it because i was at school from 95 and im here on ATS, which means i am questioning everything.

Unless they stopped it before i started..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Yeah it's always a terrorist or a pedofile. We photographers are the most evil freaks ever. We stalk malls etc. and take pictures of children sitting on santas lap or a rusty fence so we can go on with our evil plans...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Yeah it's always a terrorist or a pedofile. We photographers are the most evil freaks ever. We stalk malls etc. and take pictures of children sitting on santas lap or a rusty fence so we can go on with our evil plans...

"Calls Terrorism hotline" Expect a SWAT team armed with MP5's and tasers to come through your windows at any minute.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Nothing surprises me when hearing any news coming out of the U.K. I think the U.S. Gov cant wait to start pulling this stuff here but I think they know we Americans tend to be a bit trigger happy when it comes to our freedoms.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109
Nothing surprises me when hearing any news coming out of the U.K. I think the U.S. Gov cant wait to start pulling this stuff here but I think they know we Americans tend to be a bit trigger happy when it comes to our freedoms.

Your lucky to have guns, we can't here, and now if you get caught carrying a knife you can get sent to prison, we have no self defence, i might buy some mace, thats still legal. (I think)

Edit, spelt lucky wrong.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Haydn_17]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tac109

The thing is that it is already happening in the US just as much as in the UK. That part about shooting pics of santa in the mall actually got the photographer arrested in the US. The one who took the picture of the fence got his rights practically speaking raped. Fence incident Mall incident. This is just 2 examples, it happens several times a week both in UK and US. What I'm most afraid of is that we will follow as it has been the trend always.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
They use this terrorism act as a catch-all to fall back on ! This has been in force since 911 ! IMO 911 was designed and carried out in order to influence the masses into giving up theyre rights so as to gain protection from theyre respective gov'ts against the threat of 'terrorism' ! The people truly believe now that we are under threat from 'al-qaida' et al ! There have been many instances of this kind of behaviour from the police in Britain ! For instance, Trainspotters now have to gain permission to photograph passing trains ! ! ! I must state here and now i am NOT a trainspotter ha ha ha ! We live in an oppressed society and we are the most surveilled nation on the planet ! Each person in Britain is photographed or videotaped on average 300 times a day ! Hence i believe the speedy reactions of the police in this instance ! It cant go on we must rise up, but peacefully, to this and put pressure on the gov'ts to give us back our rights !

[edit on 15-12-2009 by ProRipp]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That reminds me of an episode that happened with my father and uncle when they went to Angola. Now that the civil war is over, they are rebuilding the country, bringing investments from mostly China and Brazil, which is why we were there as guests from the Angolan government.

Still, while there, my dad and uncle were taking pictures of the country, you know, like tourists, since it is a much different reality than our own. By the time they took pictures of public buildings, they got arrested.

They speak portuguese there, like us, so it was easy to understand that it was not allowed to take pictures of public buildings. But at least it was also easy to get out of that problem. Nothing a couple hundread dollars to the policemen couldn't solve.

Now, the part where you said they asked to see your ID, reminded me of stories I heard from my dad when the military were running our country(Brazil). During that time it was considered vandalism to walk around with no ID. You were also not allowed to walk around in large groups of people. Those days are over for us. Looks like your getting a little of it in UK, though. Hope it doesn't escalate too much...

On another note, it would be nice to get that kind of surveillance in cities like Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Especially Rio. I hate going there because I never feel safe. It's hard to find the right ballance between feeling safe because the police is always watching everything and losing your privacy, because the police is always watching everything.

Guess it´s always gonna be hard to get things exactly the way we want it.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Funny how government can have cameras all over the place taking pictures, but make a big fuss out of an individual taking a pic.

I love taking pics. Guess it is just a matter of time before I get carted away for snapping the wrong pic.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I feel I should mention, only three years ago, in Kansas, I was threatened with arrest. What was the offense? Sitting on the steps of a church. It was very late at night, and after the police stopped and questioned me, they threatened to arrest me and take me to jail because I would not tell them why I had been crying. Does that make any sense?

It's happening in the US too.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Its a catch 22 for photographers, unfortunatly it once raised its ugly head to look at me.

Im in the UK and have my own photography business. I also cover freelance for the Scottish nationals. Usually high profile shoots most of which involve photographing criminal actions, seige situations etc, so I am known and I thought had a good relationship with the boys in blue.

Aparently though, Im a target if shooting for myself. Picture the scene.... A bridge in town known for its history and made famouse by Robert Burns. Im testing 2 lenses ..10-22 and a 10-20 to make a decision on which to buy. After a few minutes of shooting the bridge I was approached and asked what I was doing, who I was and where did I live.

I politely replied stating what I was doing but refused to give answers to their other questions without knowing the reason they were asking.

What followed was surreal and frightening. I was told that my refusal to answer their questions was giving them concerns about whether I was a terrorist or was intent on other criminal activity. I had a paid shoot to go to was now surrounded by ogling members of the public who must have thought I was indeed up to no good and realised I was in a no-win situation.

I gave them my details as they could check on me anyway through my press association membership. They radiod in my details and received confirmation of my status. They thanked me and left.

Now my point is this. If they could make me feel as they did what chance had jo public in the same situation. Anger at myself for "giving in" was replaced with my realisation that common sense had prevailed.

To put this in perspective I can shoot an armed officer without hassle but cant shoot an old bridge ???? Authority has gone power crazy.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by captiva]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
State run paranoia ?

Many years ago , I think in 2000 , my son , then 4 years old , hassled me
everyday for six months , to go on an aeroplane . For his fifth birthday ,
I bought return tickets interstate on a jet , the round trip to take only
6 hours . On the day , we went to the airport with no luggage of any kind . It was a surprise present , he thought we were going to pick up a relative . He found out when we checked in . Before the flight , I bought
a disposable camera , and a drink , [gatorade I think].As we entered the departure lounge , I put my car keys , camera and drink , through the x-ray machine , and was taken aside by security , to be questioned . This was at least a year before shoe bomber dude . The camera was still in its wrapping , and the drink was untouched . They told me about flash activated bombs , and I was shocked . I have never had a criminal record
[[for 40 years] , am not a muslim , just Mr. average .I told them they could keep both items , I didn't want some stupid scene over nothing! The only way I could convince them , was to open the drink and consume half of it in front of them .! They allowed us onto the flight , and on the apron , we stopped and I took a few photos of my son , in front of the jet . We had a pleasant trip , but when we tried to check in for the immediate return flight , I was again grilled , because my son didn't have any ID , and I might have been stealing him away from his mother !?

We don't fly any more , it's tooooooo stupid .!

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Worlds elite and their bankers know what they have done by looting the world treasuries. If I had done that I might be a bit concerned about the citizenry.

The day will eventually come when then have no place to hide once the people realize they've been lied to and their life savings is worth zero and the elite have "stolen" all the gold. There will be hell to pay.

The elite will need an Army to protect them as the masses go after them for all its worth with the hope of manually ripping the testicles out of each and every one of them.

Mountain oysters anyone? Mmm, mmm, mmm.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Oldnslo]

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Oldnslo]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
They use this terrorism act as a catch-all to fall back on ! This has been in force since 911 ! IMO 911 was designed and carried out in order to influence the masses into giving up theyre rights so as to gain protection from theyre respective gov'ts against the threat of 'terrorism' ! The people truly believe now that we are under threat from 'al-qaida' et al ! There have been many instances of this kind of behaviour from the police in Britain ! For instance, Trainspotters now have to gain permission to photograph passing trains ! ! ! I must state here and now i am NOT a trainspotter ha ha ha ! We live in an oppressed society and we are the most surveilled nation on the planet ! Each person in Britain is photographed or videotaped on average 300 times a day ! Hence i believe the speedy reactions of the police in this instance ! It cant go on we must rise up, but peacefully, to this and put pressure on the gov'ts to give us back our rights !

[edit on 15-12-2009 by ProRipp]

I agree. They have the solution before they make the problem.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

How long before you have to provide your ID card to enter every public building? Supermarkets, hospitals and Shopping centres? No ID? You get arrested by armed police under "Terrorist Laws"

This is stupid.

They won't need to ask us for our IDs in a few years when we're already chipped.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join